Allergic reaction from Tweex soap?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Z-2

Allergic reaction from Tweex soap?

Post by Z-2 »

Hello friends,

today I used for first time Tweex shave stick. It is similar like Arko, with somehow strongest and industrial smell.
I have psoriasis, and realized, that my skin got red and itchy when I applied the lather. Same thing when I other tallow based soaps, but not sure from all or particular ones.
Is possible to have allergic reaction? My skin get better after few hours, but still there is some redness

I read lanolool and parfum can be a issue :roll:

Thanks!
Lolita Haze: Do you always have to shave twice a day?
Humbert Humbert: Yes, of course, because all the best people shave twice a day (from the film Lolita (1962))
brothers

Re: Allergic reaction from Tweex soap?

Post by brothers »

Kapo, I don't have any experience with Tweex, but it certainly sounds plausible that something in the recipe is causing this annoying problem. Maybe you can revisit this soap after you've spent several days using non-irritating products. If it doesn't work, then unfortunately you'll probably be better off not using it. Please let us know how this works out for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Like Gary, I'm not familiar with the Tweex shave stick, but you could be allergic to, or have a sensitivity to, any of the ingredients.

- Murray
Z-2

Post by Z-2 »

Thanks !
Unfortunately I have similar reaction with Arko, Tabac, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword. Maybe the fragance is the reason, and I should find unscented soap.
Interestingly I haven`t problems with shaving foams. The creams are somewhere between - still cause the red blotches but not that strong.
Humbert Humbert: Yes, of course, because all the best people shave twice a day (from the film Lolita (1962))
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I hate to recommend this, but it sounds like you might be better off using a shave oil or a brushless shave cream instead of soap. Psoriasis loves oil and grease, and gets extremely itchy when dried by soaps or detergents. Concoctions like Edge gel might also work as they have very little detergent and no soap.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Z-2

Post by Z-2 »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 am I hate to recommend this, but it sounds like you might be better off using a shave oil or a brushless shave cream instead of soap. Psoriasis loves oil and grease, and gets extremely itchy when dried by soaps or detergents. Concoctions like Edge gel might also work as they have very little detergent and no soap.

Chris
Thank you !
Unfortunately I live outside USA, and here we haven`t brushless creams, but I can try gels for sure 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Z-2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:35 am
drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 am I hate to recommend this, but it sounds like you might be better off using a shave oil or a brushless shave cream instead of soap. Psoriasis loves oil and grease, and gets extremely itchy when dried by soaps or detergents. Concoctions like Edge gel might also work as they have very little detergent and no soap.

Chris
Thank you !
Unfortunately I live outside USA, and here we haven`t brushless creams, but I can try gels for sure 8)
Z-2, Have you had success with the shave oil and/or brushless creams/gels since you last posted?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Z-2

Post by Z-2 »

I haven`t shave oil or brushless cream in my country but :
After experiments I realized that : Palmolive Classic shave cream (EU version), Palmolive soap stick and Williams mug soap works pretty well without any irritation. Williams is the best of them.

So, I suppose the problem may be the fragrance?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Z-2 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:12 am I haven`t shave oil or brushless cream in my country but :
After experiments I realized that : Palmolive Classic shave cream (EU version), Palmolive soap stick and Williams mug soap works pretty well without any irritation. Williams is the best of them.

So, I suppose the problem may be the fragrance?
You may be right! I'm glad Williams is working for you.
Gary

Z-2

Post by Z-2 »

Thank you !

A guy from US was good enough to send me a puck before 2 months to me, when finish I will see how to get it (maybe ebay).

:wink: