My Beloved Semogue 1305

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
jww
Woolly Bully

My Beloved Semogue 1305

Post by jww »

Well - today after many years of wonderful service, my 1305 fell apart. The knot has split in two and fell out of the handle. I'll need to replace some day, probable in the not too distant future. Will I invest in another 1305? Possibly not (pun unintended). Any suggestions on other Semogues? Perhaps one with an acrylic handle.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Re: My Beloved Semogue 1305

Post by Rufus »

Good to hear from you Wendell. Fendrihan carries the Semogue Owners Club Premium Boar with the Taj resin handle. It’s a gorgeous brush and the Premium Boar knot is outstanding. I don’t think you can beat it.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wendell, I extend to you my condolences. The 1305 is my favorite brush and I know you have really liked yours.

Perhaps the main thing I have appreciated in this brush is the grade of boar bristle, as it is different from any other that I have experienced. Most others reminded me of straw, while this one has been special and unique. The Semogue 830 has the same bristle in a denser knot, set in an acrylic handle. I have both and I like them both, though I prefer the 1305. If you face-lather, you may prefer the 830. Both have a 22mm knot.

I, too, have wondered about the Semogue Owners Club Premium Boar, mentioned by Bryan. How does the bristle in this brush compare to the 1305 and 830? Being a "premium boar" brush, it may well be similar or the same. It is a bigger brush than the 1305 and the 830.

Wendell, I hope you soon find a worthy replacement.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice to see you out and about wendell....9 thumbs up on the pun! keep 'em coming :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve not tried either the 1305 or 830 boars, thus I can’t say how they compare with the Premium Boar. I came across an old thread on TSN comparing several grades of Semogue boar, but it didn’t cover the Premium Boar. It could be like buying a pig in a poke...pun intended… O:)
Last edited by Rufus on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Certainly the thought of being with a Semogue for soap doesn't bear thinking.

I will be replenishing my supply of Skin Food sometime in the next few weeks, so may invest in a replacement. My wife keeps asking why I need another shaving brush ----- I just grin/smile.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Be with or without a boar brush?

What I don't like lathering on the puck and a boar brush is that I might get more consumption of the soap than with a badger brush. And a boar brush can't hold that much lather anyways, so that goes wasted. So I much prefer a badger brush for that or face lathering.

I'm coming back to brush lathering and yesterday I sliced an about 3 mm piece of Arko soap to an empty bowl. The badger brush I used first was not much effective being way too floppy, whereas the boar brush had a much more backbone and sort of worked more effectively like that slice was instead cream. So to bowl build lathering and especially this small amount soap in it I now think boar brush works great. It is not able to hold as much lather but the bowl will have for an easy reload.

Is there always a long time to condition a boar brush? First the possible smell same as badger and then to get the hairs split and making it soft. I remember how I used stuff like hair drier etc. to make the hairs split. Yesterday I read about rubbing in a towel. My Omega brush got good long time ago though.

Perhaps Semogues what ever number you choose as a replacement are more preconditioned than Omegas. I looked today from a shaving site that sells them and so many numbers and the price being about in the same range. What ever you choose Wendell, hope soon it will be ok.

I have in the past acquired too many blades, DE razors, soaps not that many or brushes, have ditched some creams that have gone old. So I will stay with this old Omega 48 conditioned boar brush until it goes bad or the knot disengages lol. Whatever I read that how good the Semogue 1305 or what ever brush is.
Maybe.
Jarmo
brothers

Post by brothers »

My favorite boar from Semogue is the 2000. It has the premium bristle, and is 2 or 3 mm longer loft than the others mentioned above. I understand the preferences mentioned above, and am not suggesting the 2000, just giving it honorable mention. When I was in the buying mode for brushes, I should have secured one of the Owners' Club brushes that have been mentioned. They seem to get a lot of favorable comments.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, the 2000 is a good brush, but it doesn't have the same bristle as the 1305 and the 830.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, I was mistaken. Thanks for checking on this. Here's what the website says about the 2000: White Premium 90% tops mixed with White Super 70% top.

PS: I hope this short discussion regarding a different Semogue brush didn't hijack the 1305 post. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444