New Rooney Finests

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
churchilllafemme

New Rooney Finests

Post by churchilllafemme » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:29 pm

A couple new Rooney Finest brushes with faux horn handles have arrived, a 1/1 and a 3/1.
ImageImage
_______
John

Bill_K

Re: New Rooney Finests

Post by Bill_K » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Nice!
Bill

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:31 am

When you say “new”, do you mean Lee Sabini is producing Rooney Finest again? Or, are they new to you?
Bryan

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 am

Rufus wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:31 am
When you say “new”, do you mean Lee Sabini is producing Rooney Finest again? Or, are they new to you?
Just new to me. I had some already, and I added the two shown, which are in style/size/color combinations that I had lacked.
_______
John

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Thanks, those certainly are handsome brushes. Have you had any issues with the Finest knot? I have a 2/1 Finest and the centre of the knot is starting to hollow out. When I examine the centre of the knot I see that the hairs are breaking about halfway down their shafts. I don’t think I’m a particularly vigorous latherere, but I do lather on my face using circular and paint brush motions. Because of this I use my brush sparingly, about once a month, now, having started this about 3 years ago when I first noticed the problem. I bought the brush 12 years ago and I’m the one and only owner. I must say that the Finest knot has a very pleasant but distinct feel; quite different to any other badger knots I’ve used. I can understand why you collect them.
Bryan

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Rufus wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 pm
Have you had any issues with the Finest knot? I have a 2/1 Finest and the centre of the knot is starting to hollow out. When I examine the centre of the knot I see that the hairs are breaking about halfway down their shafts. I don’t think I’m a particularly vigorous latherere, but I do lather on my face using circular and paint brush motions. Because of this I use my brush sparingly, about once a month, now, having started this about 3 years ago when I first noticed the problem. I bought the brush 12 years ago and I’m the one and only owner.
I have never had that problem with any of my Finests, although I think I have heard others besides you complain about it. I have always just used back-and-forth paint brush motions, when building lather and when applying it to my face, never anything circular because I heard sometime back that circular motion might be harder on brushes. But I also have enough Finests to allow use of each of them just once a month, so none gets used more than a dozen times a year; I'm sure that helps in their preservation, too.
_______
John

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Absolutely lovely. The old Rooneys were stunners.

Enjoy them in good health!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Rufus wrote:
Thanks, those certainly are handsome brushes. Have you had any issues with the Finest knot? I have a 2/1 Finest and the centre of the knot is starting to hollow out. When I examine the centre of the knot I see that the hairs are breaking about halfway down their shafts. I don’t think I’m a particularly vigorous latherere, but I do lather on my face using circular and paint brush motions. Because of this I use my brush sparingly, about once a month, now, having started this about 3 years ago when I first noticed the problem. I bought the brush 12 years ago and I’m the one and only owner. I must say that the Finest knot has a very pleasant but distinct feel; quite different to any other badger knots I’ve used. I can understand why you collect them.
About 6 years ago it happened that I obtained an unused RF directly from Mr. Sabini. I used it almost daily for several months and slowly it began to shed, slow at first, then increasingly until it was unthinkably rapid. I saved the small multi-hair clumps that had begun falling out. So I immediately stopped using it. Soon afterward I was able to forcibly but gently pull the entire brush head out. It was evident that there was a visible flaw in the glue at the center of the brush. Someone suggested I might ask Bernd at Shavemac if the could repair it, and yes he did. To this day it no longer sheds and it performs wonderfully.
Gary

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:19 am

brothers wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 pm
Rufus wrote:
About 6 years ago it happened that I obtained an unused RF directly from Mr. Sabini. I used it almost daily for several months and slowly it began to shed, slow at first, then increasingly until it was unthinkably rapid. I saved the small multi-hair clumps that had begun falling out. So I immediately stopped using it. Soon afterward I was able to forcibly but gently pull the entire brush head out. It was evident that there was a visible flaw in the glue at the center of the brush. Someone suggested I might ask Bernd at Shavemac if the could repair it, and yes he did. To this day it no longer sheds and it performs wonderfully.
Gary, that's a good fix to know about if this ever happens to me.
_______
John