Nascar 2019

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Nascar 2019

Post by brothers »

One of my favorite drivers - Martin Truex Jr. - has been signed by Joe Gibbs Racing due to the fact that his former primary sponsor/team owner has discontinued his participation in Nascar. The first race event of the 2019 racing season takes place on February 17 at Daytona.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: Nascar 2019

Post by brothers »

Sunday's Daytona 500 was quite a spectacle. Attendance was around 100,000. The super speedway races generate speeds in excess of 190 mph on a 2 1/2 mile track. That inevitably creates a high probability of human error, which results in massive wrecks. There were so many multi-car collisions that at the end there were only around 18 cars still on the track. The race went into overtime due to the high number of cautions that were called to deal with the wreckage. None of my favorites won, but there are about 35 more races scheduled. Looking forward to the next one. There were no injuries (this week). This is a dangerous sport and I certainly hope the safety record continues.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I suppose there aren't any electric cars in NASCAR yet, but they must be racing somewhere.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I imagine one day such a concept might be found in France or California. It's a sure thing that people will be racing their electric cars somewhere. It seems to be a candidate better suited for drag racing as opposed to a long distance oval raceway. On the other hand, maybe even some open-wheel competition. Regarding off-road electric vehicle use, we already know it's been tried successfully on the moon and on Mars.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's race is in Atlanta. My favorites for this 2019 season are Truex, Bowman, Newman, and Harvick.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, he didn't win yesterday, but Truex came in second. Next week at Las Vegas.
Gary

slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I like NASCAR because they know how to properly salute the Stars and Stripes. No kneeling, hats off, sing the words. =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

slackskin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:24 pm I like NASCAR . . . . =D>
Today's race is Martinsville VA. This year Toyota has frequently been in contention.
Last edited by brothers on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

None of my preferred drivers are having any luck (defined as winning a race) so far this year. I'm going to keep watching! :oops:
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

slackskin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:24 pm I like NASCAR because they know how to properly salute the Stars and Stripes. No kneeling, hats off, sing the words. =D>
That comes a little close to Rule #1 of the Posting Guidelines.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been a while since my favorite driver Martin Truex, Jr. won a race but yesterday he won! His first for Joe Gibbs since he joined the team last year.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have marked my calender so I don't miss the upcoming Geico 500 at Talladega in the state of Alabama. April 28th.
Last edited by brothers on Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Good news to report. Martin Truex Jr. won the last 2 races. He won last weekend at Talladega, and today's race (rained out yesterday) at Dover. This makes me very happy. He drives for the Joe Gibbs organization. A few years ago I watched his driving skills and decided he is one of the best drivers on the track. Today he had an excellent race car which happens to be a Toyota. Just for the record, those drivers are all highly skilled. The competition is absolutely ferocious, considering the personnel, money and technology that goes into fielding a successful racing team.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I used to quite enjoy NASCAR as a lad, but eventually moved on to F1 just because the race courses are so much more interesting and the noise more robust. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, you make a good point regarding the noise. I have only attended one race, the Texas track about 6 years ago. I had no idea how loud it was going to be. It was impossible to enjoy. There are two practical choices of dealing positively with the eardrum shattering roar if unprotected: (1.) wear ear protection that is sufficient to prevent hearing damage. or (2) see #1. Keep in mind that voice communication between fans is rendered impossible, notwithstanding the would-be speaker is required to shout ferociously into the ear or face of the intended listener. Watching on television is the very best way to avoid the hateful noise.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gary -- it's the noise that gets you going though. Everyone I know who has gone to the F1 in Montreal always wears good sound protection.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, the sound is a prominent attraction. When I was growing up and into cars including stock car and drag racing, we lived 6 miles away from the fairgrounds. Friday night was always special because that's where the dirt track stock cars raced. On nights I didn't go to the races, we could easily hear the roar at least 6 miles away. It was magic and I wish I could do it now, but of course the old track and grandstand were gleefully torn down to make a giant blacktop parking lot for the rich class who are into horse shows which require hundreds of giant pickup trucks and luxurious horse trailers. In the happier times, the race fans were allowed to bring ice chests full of cold beverages. Hot summer nights we usually had buckets of KFC and a cooler full of beer. And occasionally one or more of us were accompanied by girlfriends and wives. What a wonderful bunch of memories. No such thing as ear protection at the dirt tracks! Aaahhh, such memories! :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

They're racing this weekend at Charlotte. I believe it's called the Coca-Cola 600.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

My favorite driver (win or lose) Martin Truex Jr. has just won his third race in the last 5 races.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've decided to add another favorite Nascar driver to my list of favorites, even though he hasn't won yet. I have come to the conclusion that I simply like the guy. He drives for Richard Petty Motorsports. His name is Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr., and he's 25 years old.

Here's my updated list of favorite drivers.
Truex Jr.
Harvick
Newman
Bowyer
A. Dillon
Bubba Wallace
Gary