NEW: Martin de Candre Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Executive Shaving

NEW: Martin de Candre Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl

Post by Executive Shaving »

What are your thoughts on the new Martin de Candre Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl? Very pricey but this will last a very long time and the smell is wonderful! https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/mar ... ooden-bowl

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/mar ... ooden-bowl
brothers

Re: NEW: Martin de Candre Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl

Post by brothers »

One of the classy-est presentations in the world for what many consider the best shaving soap ever.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

The sample I have of Martin de Candre from years ago indicated that it is a very good soap. It reminds me a lot of the old traditional soaps before reformulation.

As I paid nowhere near the conversion price for my Taylor's than this bowl loaded MdC soap I don't think the MdC is worth the price. The bowls I received for my purchase of Taylor's were supposedly teak. From what I gather they'll last more than my lifetime like these MdC bowls presented. In fact I still use the bowl my first Taylor's soap arrived in more than a decade ago. I just keep reloading it with a new cake. The finish has worn off in most places but otherwise it's wearing like the deck of the USS Missouri.

For anyone with such a bowl it probably is more economical to just buy the MdC soap and press it in to an old bowl (the soap is very malleable). I think all the old traditional soap bowls probably wear like my Taylor's and work for the same. But I guess if you're a true aficionado then you may just have to have it.

Just my two cents.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

One of the classy-est presentations
not sure if youre being sarcastic gary, but from this side of the screen the product/packaging looks: hideous

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not guilty of sarcasm this time! :D I just think it's kind of cool.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I really like the glass containers much better.

I'm curious about some of the new scents offered, but I'm not willing to pay the high price to find out. The original MdC soap smelled terrible to me. (I think Phil at Bullgoose Shaving likened it to the smell of roofing tar. 8) ) When they offered an unscented version, I ordered that, but it smelled just the same as the original, so I haven't pursued it further.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Interesting to read that the scent doesnt get a common 'like' I find it quite endearing and honestly thought that that was a common opinion around smf. learn something new everyday.

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, people seem to either love or hate the scent. It's as though it were a matter of a gene being turned on or off, controlling the response of the olfactory.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Someone was kind enough to send me a sample of the relatively new MdC Vetiver. It did seem to have a nice representation of vetiver, but in the background was the trademark scent that some like and some don't care for. It happens that I'm one who couldn't find any love for the original scent, even though many people are quite fond of it.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im supposed to have jars of the unscented mdc....the scent doesnt come close to roofing tar. :shock: i should send a slice to murray or gary for confirmation :D

my partner likes the scent too...more kisses when i use it, so either way - clean or tar'ish - its staying in the stable :lol:

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive you're one of the lucky ones. If you like it, that's what matters! I'm not repulsed by MdC's scent, just not my cup of tea. 8)
Gary

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

"New"? The MdC Brain Bowl has been around for the last 5 years, I believe.
_______
John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 am Im supposed to have jars of the unscented mdc....the scent doesnt come close to roofing tar. :shock: i should send a slice to murray or gary for confirmation :D

my partner likes the scent too...more kisses when i use it, so either way - clean or tar'ish - its staying in the stable :lol:

clive
Clive, that's what I mean. It's as though different olfactories register something completely different when exposed to the scent.

I ordered some of the unscented MdC when they first offered it, as a refugee still gasping from the original. 8)

To my nose, however, it smelled just like the original, perpetuating the desperate repugnance visited upon me before.

Is the unscented MdC that you have truly unscented?

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Is the unscented MdC that you have truly unscented
Nope....lying frenchies! there is definitely a scent

clive
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:34 am
One of the classy-est presentations
not sure if youre being sarcastic gary, but from this side of the screen the product/packaging looks: hideous

clive
+1
Looks like a cereal bowl overflowing with brains.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't get why people care for this soap. Very thin lather and a strange scent.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I actually thought the soap was very good. It was the scent that hit me like an assault.

(I seem to do best with Italian soaps: Valobra, Cella, and such.)

- Murray