How's Everybody Doing?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
JimR

How's Everybody Doing?

Post by JimR »

Hey all. Jim Rion here, in Japan. I was an active member here years ago, but fell out of the whole online wetshaving thing for various reasons.
Anyway, I was just thinking about those days and thought I'd pop in and see what was up.

It looks like a lot has changed...SRP is gone, the Shave Place is gone, B&B is still what it is.

I've settled on a single setup: Feather Artist club, Irisch Moos stick, and a Vie Long badger brush. Every shave for the last, oh, 7 years or so?
(Well, maybe not every shave. I do break out my old Gillette Tech and an Iwasaki straight every once in a while.)

So how's everyone doing?
EL Alamein

Re: How's Everybody Doing?

Post by EL Alamein »

Jim, good to see you again.

Doing good here. Still using my most favored setup most the time.

It maybe quieter here than on other forums but we provide value like no other.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Jim! It's always good to see one of our old friends. I remember you, indeed.

Though I still have more shaving equipment and supplies than I know what to do with, I stick to a small number of tools/supplies and I don't mix it up much anymore. I know now what works for me.

The lack of excitement over every new product might be one reason things have slowed down here.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello Jim! It's very good to see you back here at SMF again.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice to see you out and about! Theres another member from japan - araner - that also went mia, but he has a blog i follow so smf still has hooks in so to speak :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JimR

Post by JimR »

Thanks for all the kinds relies, gents. Lots of familiar faces!
fallingwickets wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:52 am Nice to see you out and about! Theres another member from japan - araner - that also went mia, but he has a blog i follow so smf still has hooks in so to speak :D :D :D

clive
Another member from Japan? Any idea what general area? Maybe send me that blog name, I'm interested!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Jim! Great to see you here!

I remember your Eastern Smooth blog and your contributions here. I was sad when you disappeared from the forums, mostly because it seemed you followed a similar arc to my own, veering away from ADs eventually and becoming a bit disenchanted with the collecting and accumulating. It seems that may indeed be the case.

At any rate, welcome back. Sharprazorpalace is SRP now, and there's a lot of backstory there.

SMF is quieter these days but saner than many forums. Less fanboy stuff. I'm glad to see you back and hope you can add more to my knowledge of straights and stones, even if you're not using them as often these days.

Beware the return of ADs, and all will be great. :lol:
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have cycled in and out of AD's. Hi, My name is Sam and I am a Shave-aholic. It has been 4 months since my last acquisition.

Seriously, I have toyed with a straight razor again. This time for fun, not trying to achieve baby butt smooth. My new wife likes me with a closely cropped beard, so the neck needs to be cleaned up and getting a new straight and getting a new strop and paste and stuff could be fun.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

sam, no comment on the razor, BUT nice to see you and about

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Having played the absent child myself on more than one occasion I understand how other things can get in the way. Good to hear from you again!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?