Amazing NBA finals game

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Amazing NBA finals game

Post by brothers »

Yesterday's second round NBA playoff game between Denver Nuggets and Portland Trail Blazers lasted through a record Four (4) overtimes. This is the first time this has ever happened. Blazers won.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: Amazing NBA finals game

Post by brothers »

It's starting to bore me, now that the big-headed Warriors are mowing down the opposition with dispatch in pursuit of a third championship in a row. The NBA playoffs are similar (at this particular time) to the contestant that appears to have hijacked one of everyone's favorite game shows (Jeopardy). The guy is robotic and so far has won around $2M. He never misses. It's much better to watch fairly matched competition than individuals and teams who do nothing but win. Obviously I'm not a chronic winner. Sometimes I wonder how it might feel, but it would probably be worse than I imagine. I'm not watching either one now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

To be fair - the Raptors|76ers was quite the series -- didn't watch game 7 as I don't do TV on Sundays -- but did read the various write-ups. I expect the Bucks to win in 6 or 7 though. It would be nice if the Raps could get to the finals ----- I think it would be good for the league.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

It would be very good to see the Raptors get to the finals.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, after watching the last quarter of last night's Bucks/Raptors game 1, I tend to agree with you that Milwaukee will probably finish strong in this round.

Regarding the GS Warriors, if the Trail Blazers can't eliminate them in this round of playoffs, I will be a strong supporter of the representative of the east in the final series, whether it's the Raptors or the Bucks. Sick of the GSW attitude.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Regarding GSW -- I would have to say that they have changed the NBA to the good. Before Steve Kerr and Steph Curry came together I detested watching NBA always deferring to the more team-based play of (most) NCAA teams (I'm talking to you One-and-Done teams). However, while not very avid, I do find the new reality in play of the NBA where teams build around incredibly talented players, but play within the notion of a team game. Putting a team on your back from time to time is certainly part of the game -- but I rather enjoy that there is not simply one or two marque players in the league, but rather a distribution of some very good talent, coached by some very talented basketball minds on the sidelines.

Still not my favourite league though. Not by a long stretch.
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

When the Grizz traded Marc Gasol to the Raptors, that marked the beginning of a new regime change in Memphis. Word is that with the 2nd pick obtained in the draft lottery, the Grizz will go with Ja Morant and have him be an understudy to Conley, though Conley is only 31 and has 2 years left on a contract. Morant would be a Klay Thompson like guard with Conley being like Curry. We have Jackson at the 4, last years lottery pick for the Grizz. I thought having Gasol and his 3-point capability would open up lanes and if we had a second consistent 3 pointer shooter who could also drive, we could do better.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ja's tock sky-rocketed after the NCAAs. He was outstanding all year, but the showcase of so many games in such a short time showed how good he really is. Zion -- well, he's still, in my mind, not necessarily "The Next Big Thing". I'll wait to see how he does against the men. Don't get me wrong - he is an incredible specimen and does stuff that few can ..... but, with the one-and-done movement, there is really no way of knowing how good -- or not so good a player will be in the pros until around their 3rd year, in my opinion.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Alas I fear the Raptors will succumb to the Bucks. I just hope it isn’t in 4. Yesterday’s game was very disappointing and suggests the Raptors may not have what it takes to go further.; similar to the Maple Laughs, sorry Leafs.
If the Raptors continue to perform the way they have in the last 2 games I may have to eat my words. Somewhat a Jekyll and Hyde performance against the Bucks so far: don’t know who is going to turn up.
Last edited by Rufus on Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bryan I tend to agree with your conclusion about the Raptors. Now that the GSW is 3-0 against the Blazers, it seems quite likely we'll be watching Milwaukee and the Warriors in the Championship game. It would be a breath of fresh air if Milwaukee can pull it off and win a championship.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Living in ACC country and having watched Zion play a lot of games this year, he is about as much a lock to be a great pro as any player I have seen. Zion’s combination of quickness, leaping ability and pure size is unprecedented, in my experience. The guy weighs 285 lbs and moves like a ballerina. He is a freak of nature. The best college player I ever saw was David Thompson at NC State who was better at that level than even Michael Jordan. He had that incredible vertical that Zion has in a much, much smaller frame. The ability to simply out-jump everyone is pretty valuable in basketball. Doing it at 285 lbs. is unheard of.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm Alas I fear the Raptors will succumb to the Bucks. I just hope it isn’t in 4. Yesterday’s game was very disappointing and suggests the Raptors may not have what it takes to go further.; similar to the Maple Laughs, sorry Leafs.
If the Raptors continue to perform the way they have in the last 2 games I may have to eat my words. Somewhat a Jekyll and Hyde performance against the Bucks so far: don’t know who is going to turn up.
I may have to eat my words tomorrow night. I’ll add salt, pepper and ketchup too. Nevertheless, the Raptors are like Jekyll and Hyde: you never know which team will show up at any point in the game as well illustrated in last night’s game.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

In games such as these, I just sit back and enjoy every minute. I have no stake in the outcome, but the competition is ferocious. I admire the excellent performance of the Raptors after losing early.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:07 am
Rufus wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm Alas I fear the Raptors will succumb to the Bucks. I just hope it isn’t in 4. Yesterday’s game was very disappointing and suggests the Raptors may not have what it takes to go further.; similar to the Maple Laughs, sorry Leafs.
I may have to eat my words tomorrow night. I’ll add salt, pepper and ketchup too. Nevertheless, the Raptors are like Jekyll and Hyde: you never know which team will show up at any point in the game as well illustrated in last night’s game.
One extra large slice of humble pie coming up. Congratulations Raptors. =D>
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looking forward to the final round. I hope the teams are evenly matched and that it will take all 7 games to determine the winner.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I was totally shocked to see the Raptors win in 4 straight games after going down 2-0 to the Bucks. Kawhi Leonard is simply amazing and makes everyone around him so much better when he's on the floor.

Next round, hopefully, will not be a simple rout - here's hoping it goes 6 or 7.
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Raptors win Game 1 against GSW? Who'd have thought?

I didn't watch, but by the writeups I went through, Kahwi distributed but it was Pascal Siakam who brought game and then some. The best way for the Raptors to win will be for someone other than Leonard to show up each night from now until the end. Everyone will hover around Kahwi to try to shut him down -- and the best way to deal with that is have another unexpected answer ready to respond. At least we know this will go 5 games ......
Wendell

pausted

Post by pausted »

TRBeck wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm A bit of a conundrum for me. I dislike the Warriors and in particular whiny Durant, but after the way Kawhi left the Spurs, I have a hard time rooting for him. Guess I'll treat it like I do regular season games and just hope to see good basketball.
Tim, my feelings exactly. I couldn’t have said it better.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was surprised by the outcome. This is what makes the series interesting.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

TRBeck wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm A bit of a conundrum for me. I dislike the Warriors and in particular whiny Durant, but after the way Kawhi left the Spurs, I have a hard time rooting for him. ...
Funny how we don't bat an eye when someone leaves an employer after what felt like devoted service -- we just move on. But when someone leaves an sports team under questionable circumstances seemingly motivated by money or fame, one can become a bit disenchanted with the individual. Kawhi was certainly the missing piece the Raptors have needed for some time now - We The North are only too happy to have him - and to be fair, he has embraced life in The Big Smoke in a very open - even dare I say - gracious manner endearing him to fans right from the get-go.
Wendell