Project House

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Re: Project House

Post by Rufus »

Good on you for undertaking, and completing, so many tasks. We’re in the midst of major renovations at our house: new and larger kitchen, renovated the sunken family room by raising the floor and updating the fireplace, smartened up the dining room and updated the ground floor laundry room. As my wife likes to tell me, she married handsome as opposed to handy, so I’ve contracted out all the work including the painting. Next year we’ll have to tackle the yard, which needs a face lifted, but I don’t want to think about it at the moment. The house renovations should be completed in the next 3 weeks after which I’ll turn my mind to the garden. BTW, where in Texas did you live? I lived in the Houston-area(Missouri City and The Woodlands) for 10 years. We enjoyed it very much, but after awhile the high heat and humidity got to us.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Good luck! Be very careful around electricity. Enjoy the journey. Denver has always seemed like a very cool place to live.
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I remember planting a tiny blue spruce in the garden after we built this place. It's nearly as tall as the house now!
C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tim, weed related: did you spray with only the vinegar or vinegar + a 'tim' concoction? :D Also, did it really work??? :D :D :D Tons of weeds here but a) i refuse to use chemicals, and b) i like a lot of the 'weeds' e.g dandelions in the garden are grand, but in the stone beds, not so much!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Tim. When i think vinegar, i think supermarket and so I didnt even give the hardware store a thought. I ordered a bottle from amzn... should be here next week. Thanks again for the recommendation.

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I see that Round Up has a product on the market now that is based on acetic acid. Don’t know the concentration.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

When ever I see or hear about home reno projects I remember how good I am at writing cheques to contractors. I have never done anything decent beyond painting, and even then my ceiling / wall edges were at best atrocious. :(

Good luck with all the work -- I am sure it will be phenomenal when done.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:32 pm When ever I see or hear about home reno projects I remember how good I am at writing cheques to contractors. I have never done anything decent beyond painting, and even then my ceiling / wall edges were at best atrocious. :(

Good luck with all the work -- I am sure it will be phenomenal when done.
My exact sentiments. Cheque writing to contractors is becoming second nature for me.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve reconciled myself to the fact that DIY is not in me. I’ve tried to build, install and repair many things around the house, but I’ve always had to revert to a pro. The only task I did credibly well was painting, but my sciatica and lower back issues precludes me from doing even that now. Two of my 3 children, however, can do just about anything with their hands and eyes. They are so good with their hands and eyes that they’ve taken up professions dependent on these skills: my daughter is a very accomplished theatre set and costume designer and my son is a commercial artist and photographer. I’m quietly jealous of their skills, but very proud of their accomplishments. But I do write cheques to contractors very well.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

A quick post to say that the vinegar works! Whatever i sprayed died (hopefully a fast painless death!!)

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV ... UTF8&psc=1

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:42 am A quick post to say that the vinegar works! Whatever i sprayed died (hopefully a fast painless death!!)

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV ... UTF8&psc=1

clive
Roundup now has a weed and grass control spray based on acetic acid. It expresses the acetic acid contact in terms of density 62.5g/l. The product is Roundup Advanced Grass and Weed Control. At this stage I can’t say how effective it is.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

TRBeck wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 am Clive, it's just vinegar, but as I said, it's 30% acetic acid, not the 5% stuff from the grocery store. I bought it at an Ace hardware in our neighborhood - it's become my favorite store. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and although the prices are a bit higher than Home Depot, I can actually get what I need without asking 8 different people. But I digress.

The vinegar worked and worked well. It killed everything. Did the job faster than Roundup would've, too. That said, it's not a preventative measure. I could have planted the day after spraying. I like dandelions and clover, too, and I'll let them grow in our grass. Not in the flower beds or stone beds, though, as you said.
Tim, I've got a nuisance voluntary mulberry tree up against the outside of a fence. If I spray the leaves thoroughly will the 30% acetic acid kill the tree so I can get rid of it?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444