A question for Johnny Cash

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

A question for Johnny Cash

Post by brothers »

I just heard a good old song, and I've stumbled onto a mystery, to which we'll probably never learn the answer: Regarding Mr. Cash's performance of the Folsom Prison blues. The person in the song is incarcerated in a California state prison because he/she committed a capitol crime in Reno (I shot a man). There is no Reno in California.
:^o
PS - There are around a dozen places named Reno in Canada (1) and the US (all the rest), none of which (just an assumption on my part) have authority to arbitrarily imprison guilty parties in a state prison in California, or any state other than where the crime was committed and adjudicated. Maybe there was an arrangement fifty or sixty years ago that Nevada could send prisoners to prison in California for some reason. There are no federal prisons named Folsom. I guess we can thank poetic license for the misinformation. Moral of the story, pretty much 100% of entertainment related statements are fiction. :lol: I suspect when the song first came out, there probably were a lot of folks (probably many in Nevada and California, and in Folsom prison) asking themselves, where's Reno, California?

Posted for discussion or meditative reasons only, nothing substantive. Merely innocuous. :oops:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: A question for Johnny Cash

Post by jww »

But does it matter with such a classic song???? :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not a bit! One of his best.

If I may share an anecdote. There was a time (how many decades ago?) when Mr. Cash was driving on old Rt. 66 that runs right through our town. It seems his driving caught the attention of the night shift local small town law enforcement and he was pulled over and arrested for DUI and booked into the county jail downtown. As an older teenager at the time I worked at the local (suburban) PD as a dispatcher but it happened when I wasn't on duty at the time. Missed all the excitement. This was at a time when he drove himself around the country as necessary.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:23 pm But does it matter with such a classic song???? :wink:
Precisely. It doesn’t matter; if you have to, chalk it up to artistic licence.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

It just made a good song. =D> That translates to $$$. Nobody's trying to be a history buff! Just words and images!
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:00 pm Not a bit! One of his best.

If I may share an anecdote. There was a time (how many decades ago?) when Mr. Cash was driving on old Rt. 66 that runs right through our town. It seems his driving caught the attention of the night shift local small town law enforcement and he was pulled over and arrested for DUI and booked into the county jail downtown. As an older teenager at the time I worked at the local (suburban) PD as a dispatcher but it happened when I wasn't on duty at the time. Missed all the excitement. This was at a time when he drove himself around the country as necessary.
Sounds like the story line for Pixar's Cars.

Just sayin ...... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

He's been dead for sixteen years: wrong forum...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now you see why I knew we would never know the answer. :wink:
Gary