Vetiver

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
John Parker

Re: Vetiver

Post by John Parker » Fri May 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks, Tim. I will try. Thought about using my Walmart sugar bowl, but want to be able to take the puck with me in my dop kit. But, boy, do I have my doubts that spill-over suds are going to fit this gap!
John

John Parker

Post by John Parker » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 am

Shaved with Fine Green Vetiver shaving soap this morning. Scent was very nice. Lather was nice but I am sure would have been wonderful if I still had soft water. Nonetheless, had a very nice, two-pass shave. Face-feel after the shave was also nice. And, Tim, your suggestion on the lather spill-over to anchor the puck worked like a charm! Thanks for all your suggestions! Glad I got the Fine Green Vetiver soap!
John

brothers

Post by brothers » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 am

This morning's vetiver was Asylum Vetiver Bourbon soap from BullGoose. A quick splash of hot tap water on the soap and brush, followed by 4 seconds loading the brush on the soap, then straight to the face for a thin and wet lather. The results were excellent! Slick and protective.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

brothers

Post by brothers » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Nowadays I'm back in the vetiver mood. I'll use the Cold River Soap Works Morning Ghost soap for a few days. Then a couple of days more with the Asylum vetiver bourbon and soon to be followed with Salter's vetiver cream. The one I'm most looking forward to using is Tim's delightful one-off vetiver soap. This is great! Love my vetivers.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

brothers

Post by brothers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:57 pm

I've used Tim's vetiver the past two days and it's right up there with the best. Tim knows his fragrances, that's for sure.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 pm

It's funny how the colder months can make one nostalgic for Summer scents.

I was contemplating using Salter's French Vetiver cream last weekend just because I wanted something Summer-like. Never got around to it but I'm still bit by the bug. Maybe in the next few weeks as Winter is nigh.

Chris

brothers

Post by brothers » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 am

I have just completed several days using Salter's French Vetiver shaving cream, and I love it. Performance and scent are top shelf, and it's residual property is slick, just as I like it!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Someone is currently expecting delivery of a pot of limited edition MdC Vetiver shaving soap, and has generously offered to send me a small sample.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Today I used the MdC Vetiver soap sample for the first time. It has a very light but pleasant vetiver scent. It's a great shaving soap as are all of the MdC shaving soaps. And expensive.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 am

The MdC sample was OK and I passed it on to someone. When it comes to MdC I feel like saying I've been there, done that.

Regarding my interest in vetiver, I got an unused tub of AOS Vetiver Citron shaving cream. Now discontinued but I think it's going to be a pleasant addition to my small gathering of vetiver in general. AOS will show up in rotation sometime in November and I' ll give it a few days.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Gary, hope you enjoy.

Been enjoying the scent of vetiver myself this Summer.

Chris

brothers

Re: Revisiting Vetiver

Post by brothers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:05 pm

I don't know exactly when it happened, but I'm no longer attracted to some of my vetiver-related shaving creams and soaps. Out of my 6 soaps and 2 creams, there are only 4 shaving soaps that I’m still attracted to, based on the pleasant well-formulated scents and performance. This means I have 2 soaps and 2 creams that will be donated to the dumpster in the very near future.
Gary

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:01 pm

The only overtly vetiver product I use is Guerlain Vétiver aftershave. I use it but don't really like it a lot. For some reason vetiver just never clicked with me.
_______
John

brothers

Post by brothers » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am

brothers wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:57 pm
I've used Tim's vetiver the past two days and it's right up there with the best. Tim knows his fragrances, that's for sure.
Odd things happen - it seems that this soap rotted in the pot. Must've been some conflict among ingredients or something. Nauseating - sickening to say the least. Too bad it hit the toilet today, where it belongs.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 am

brothers wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am
brothers wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:57 pm
Odd things happen - it seems that this soap rotted in the pot. Must've been some conflict among ingredients or something. Nauseating - sickening to say the least. Too bad it hit the toilet today, where it belongs.
Wow. What a helpful comment, since I haven't sold soap commercially for five years, and since you are responding to your own post from 2 years ago, and since no one asked, to say nothing of the fact that you have no standing to claim that the soap "rotted." What do you hope to achieve by this except continuing your personal vendetta? Crass, purposeless, and baseless.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Never mind.
Last edited by TRBeck on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:44 pm

For goodness' sake, I don't want to deal with idiotic egos. I have five or six appointments each week as they channel me towards an allogeneic transplant, where 15% die, and everyone spends 8+ weeks in hospital. I will not be able to manage this board for that time, and you'll be reliant on the other admins, if you can remember who they may have been. If you can't contain yourselves, Vince will stop paying for us as no one will be benefiting from his generosity.

Play nice or else.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what I've done wrong here except object to Gary's passive-aggressive, petty jibes. Nevertheless, I'll refrain from responding to his nonsense further. Anyone who reads the posts can see him for what he is.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:02 pm

I have rediscovered vetiver for some reason. I have two colognes for summer: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Guerlain L’Eau Boisee. Tried to like Terre D’Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche but not digging it

Got gifted a father day shave bowl so now I need a soap. Will be on the lookout for vetiver

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Guerlain L'Eau Boisee is excellent. One of my summer scents, too. I have been trying to get into Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver and can't do it. Just too dry and monotone.

Grey Vetiver is definitely a scent I have sampled and considered purchasing previously. Perhaps before July is out. Thanks for the reminder, Sam.

As regards a vetiver soap, I continue to say that Fine makes excellent stuff. Similar lather to Tabac, although maybe not quite as rich. Their "Fresh Vetiver" soap is a clone of Grey Vetiver, FWIW.
Regards,
Tim