Bluetooth adapter for the car

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Bluetooth adapter for the car

Post by brothers »

I'm looking for a bluetooth FM transmitter, in-car wireless radio transmitter adapter music player car kit, USB Ports, hands free calling, TF card and USB flash drive support. I have no idea what a TF card might be, and when I go to Amazon there are dozens of these things. Please help me out. If you have experience with these, please point me in the right direction.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Re: Bluetooth adapter for the car

Post by slackskin »

Hi Gary - According to https://www.techora.net/tf-card-and-microsd-card.html here's the deal. Quote.

"TF card or TransFlash card is generally used for its micro secure digital cards and was considered to be the world’s smallest memory card. Both the cards are very much alike and can be used in place of one other but there is a little dissimilarity which sets them different from each other.
  • MicroSD cards can perform non-memory jobs such as GPS, Bluetooth and near field Communication.
  • A TF cannot do such non-memory jobs.
  • There is also a switch on security segment in SD card whereas no such feature is found in TF.
  • The volume of SD card is comparatively more than TF card.
  • TF card can support 64 GB as well which microSD card doesn’t."
I can't see why one would want a TF card but maybe I'm missing something. Good luck with this.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a TF card is a non-starter. My primary concern in posting this is to find out what anyone can tell me about getting an adapter for my car so I can listen to music and conduct phone calls while I'm driving. The wife's car is a 2012 with bluetooth and it's relatively up to date. My little car (Toyota Yaris) is 12 years old and all it's got is a CD player and AM-FM. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out which adapters are good, based on their experiences.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I just lashed out $15 for an adaptor that looks like a compact cassette and lets you plug in a phone for music playing purposes. Sadly my 28 year old Miata's cassette player is ejecting it when it discovers its capstans are stuck.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary an alternative idea that will work perfectly(?) for you...a bluetooth speaker. It will do everything you need it to do. A round one will fit into your coffee cup holder!

examples:

https://www.amazon.com/COMISO-Waterproo ... -Portable-

Playtime-Wireless/dp/B07PKDD5CB/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=round+bluetooth+speaker&qid=1564747304&s=gateway&sr=8-6733&pf_rd_r=N62DWTEXX35FBD9CNKZP&qid=1564747304&s=gateway

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Gary -

Back in the day, my tech-savvy daughter bought a cord that plugged into the cigarette lighter with the other end in a mp3 player. Worked just fine. No bluetooth needed. Not sure if the technology has changed, but worth a look at a place like Best Buy. Disclaimer - I am retired and do not (and did not) work for BB. It's just an idea for your consideration.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Guys, thanks for the suggestions for alternatives to an adapter.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Gary, is there any sort of port on your current car audio system for plugging in an audio source? Is there a button anywhere that says AUX for an auxiliary audio source? If not, you may not have an easy Bluetooth option. If so, you want a Bluetooth RECEIVER that will plug into whatever kind of port you have.
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Was there not a short-range FM transmitter that took a headphone out signal and radioed it to your car radio?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I'm going to look and see if I can locate these components you've mentioned. Also I'm going to study the owners manual for pertinent information.

I did learn that it's possible to actually remove the current unit and replace the whole thing with a new modern unit with all the goodies starting at $250 and up. If that's a DIY project I can't see doing it. I'm hoping for something cheap and easy that doesn't involve ripping out my dash!
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary speak to some of the best buy 'geeks'...you might get a decent package deal (equip + installation)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kyle76 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:14 pm Gary, is there any sort of port on your current car audio system for plugging in an audio source? Is there a button anywhere that says AUX for an auxiliary audio source? If not, you may not have an easy Bluetooth option. If so, you want a Bluetooth RECEIVER that will plug into whatever kind of port you have.
Jim, Thanks for this explanation. It turns out I do have the AUX port. There's a $30 BT receiver rated Amazon's Choice here that sounds like what I've been looking for but didn't know what I was looking for:

(Note: link deleted.)

Amazon has ranked this device as the first choice among the 5 best receivers. If it doesn't work, it's returnable.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Good luck! I’ve got a couple of Mpow receivers that are rechargeable, but plugging into the cigarette lighter is probably the way to go in the car.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

It took me a while to get around to upgrading my 13 year old Toyota to the Bluetooth, but with a bit of encouragement from my wife, I jumped on Amazon and bought it. Ultra simple to hook it up, and it cost less than dinner. Works great!
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

congrats gary...that didnt take long :D :D :D :D

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s......on the subject of wives encouragements(???), the new seinfeld comedy special on netflix is a MUST see

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:52 am p.s......on the subject of wives encouragements(???), the new seinfeld comedy special on netflix is a MUST see

clive
Clive, I'll definitely check it out!
Gary