Brush of the day

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Brush of the day

Post by fallingwickets »

Tulip 3 :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
Tommynick

Re: Brush of the day is

Post by Tommynick »

Simpson PJ2
pausted

Post by pausted »

SilkSmoke synthetic
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

WCS Tuxedo synthetic
Best regards,

Basil
Xring3

Post by Xring3 »

993E779A-262A-4810-A8C0-F7DB5739B782.jpeg
993E779A-262A-4810-A8C0-F7DB5739B782.jpeg (250.73 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
know nothing about this 1980’s badger brush except it was made in West Germany. [/size]
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Stirling 2-Band Synthetic
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Rooney Manchurian for the past several days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

WCS Tuxedo synthetic
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

SilkSmoke synthetic
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

For the new year, I've decided to go with the Thater 4376/5 silvertip plexi-handle brush. One of my best brushes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Thater is a sweetheart of a brush. I used it every day that the Homemade was the daily soap. When I switched over to the Alpine Frost by Strop Shoppe, I also switched to the Semogue 2000 boar. It did great until the very strange day it decided to shed about 40 bristles virtually all at about the same time. At that time I brought in the next best boar, the R&B Limited Edition, which ended its run today due to the fact that I've decided to go back to the 2000. I'm curious to see if the shedding fiasco has permanently ended or not. With luck I'll keep using it until March 23rd when I'm going to change soap and brush at the same time.
Gary

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the last foreseeable every day shave with the Semogue 2000 boar brush. One of only 5 boars I kept following last year's shaving apocalypse. Not likely to be promoted to an every day shaver due to the recent shedding issue. Now I'm deciding what brush to use tomorrow. My top two candidates are the Rooney Finest plexi (badger) and the SilkSmoke synthetic with custom handle from VF.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

rooney gets my vote! :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I did use the Rooney Finest a couple of days ago and - of course - it knows how to make lather in very adequate quantities.

Actually, in contrast or in comparison to the performance of the SilkSmoke synthetic brush, the Rooney is somewhat of a lather hog.

That's not a negative statement because it is the Rooney and it does know how to make lather.

Nevertheless, the performance of the SilkSmoke synthetic is way above and beyond any of my other brushes, with maybe two or three exceptions, one of which is the Rooney Finest.

The stronger of the runners-up are the Manchurian Rooney, the Maid-Rite Finest which was a re-knot that I got about 10 years ago from TGN, and the third is the Thater 4376/5.

With these four brushes in hand, I'm set for life with regard to brushes, with the leading favorite of all time being the synthetic SilkSmoke knot as there's never any problem transferring the plentiful leather to the face.

Edit/I suppose I should say 5 brushes
since the Rooney Finest got an honorable mention.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Big Rooney now for I don't know how many weeks. It's a very good example of silvertip. I can't believe I left this Rooney off my list from before.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I decided to give the Rooney a rest. Using the Thater 4376/5 plexi now. There's just something special about it that I can't put my finger on. One of my top 3 of all time. 2 badgers and 1 synthetic.

Of the three, only the Thater is just as it came from the factory in Germany. The other two are handles that have been fitted with replacement knots.

The SilkSmoke synthetic from APShaving set in a beautiful one-off custom wooden handle made for me by Vladimir Ferdman,

The old Made-Rite black and white mid-century plastic handle that was refitted with a Finest (2-band) that was purchased from Tony at The Golden Nib in 2008. It's the first one I worked on.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As of now, the SilkSmoke synthetic is back for the foreseeable future.
Gary

primotenore

Post by primotenore »

a1hCYzh copy.jpeg
a1hCYzh copy.jpeg (460.3 KiB) Viewed 7521 times
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

Since this week, I've been enjoying the Made-Rite Finest (knot from TGN). It's been 11 years since the knot was replaced. Absolutely a favorite badger.
Gary