An old favorite still in production

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

An old favorite still in production

Post by brothers »

It's been a long time since anyone posted about SMN (Santa Maria Novella) shaving cream in the large white tub. It's still sold and it's still expensive. There was a time when it was on many guys' lists. Founded in 1612, the SMN apothecary is the oldest in the world, and is credited for inventing Rose Water which is also still in production at SMN.

https://buy.smnovella.com/index.php/men ... l?___SID=U
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: An old favorite still in production

Post by fallingwickets »

is that a coconut cream?
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I googled and found some long shaving forum discussions on the ingredients, performance, and prices. The short answer to your question is yes, the third ingredient listed on the jar is coconut something or other. I noted a comment there from Joe at RazoRock. He said it costs about 1/10 of the retail price to manufacture it. The current product is version 3 following recent reformulations. Needless to say, it has a lot of fans but the retail price is prohibitive and there aren't many retailers who sell it. Thanks for asking that question because it resulted in a pleasant walk down memory lane as I recalled those days of buying and selling most everything that was a hot topic among the forums.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for confirmation....definitely a memory of jealousy/'relief rekindled :D

I was so eager to try some of this but i cant do coconut and so was spared the other issues related to purchasing
de gustibus non est disputandum