Five Days in October

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drmoss_ca
Admin

Five Days in October

Post by drmoss_ca »

It just occurred to me that a single week in October holds the anniversaries of three rather important battles.

21st - Battle of Trafalgar (1805), still celebrated by the RN each year as Trafalgar Day with toasts to "The Immortal Memory" of Admiral Lord Nelson.
23rd - Second Battle of El Alamein (1942), when Monty became the first Eighth Army commander to achieve anything useful against Rommel.
25th - Battle of Agincourt (1415), King Harry trounces the French despite having an army crippled by dysentery.

What a remarkably good excuse to celebrate all week!

C.
Perhaps I shall pass over the Charge of the Light Brigade on 25th October 1854 as it wasn't quite so glorious a success as the others!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Re: Five Days in October

Post by EL Alamein »

I shall definitely raise may tumbler each day to these victories.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

As a war fighter I can attest to the misery of dysentery that results from drinking from foreign wells, and to the slow recovery over such a painfully disabling disease while in the war zone.. The only small consolation is that the enemy also might die from it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The only small consolation is that the enemy also might die from it
73 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:50 pm As a war fighter I can attest to the misery of dysentery that results from drinking from foreign wells, and to the slow recovery over such a painfully disabling disease while in the war zone.. The only small consolation is that the enemy also might die from it.
Gary you bring up an interesting point! Not to hijack the thread too much but it jarred my memory from High School. I've probably brought this up before so excuse the repetition if I have but we learned that one of the reasons the Roman Empire was so successful at conquering others was the fact that they added quantities of vinegar to their soldiers drinking water to deter them from drinking too much making it last longer.

The theory goes that by adding vinegar to the water the soldier's immunity was boosted (by the vitamin C in vinegar perhaps?) and they suffered less casualties to disease (supposedly the number one killer in war).

I have no idea whether it's true or not but that's what was promulgated at the time. Perhaps they suffered less dysentery as well from this practice.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's very interesting. The Romans were incredibly well organized and disciplined.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444