Acquisitions thread

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
adhoc

Re: Acquisitions thread

Post by adhoc »

I forgot to emphasise in my earlier post how happy I am that my quest for a bottle of vintage Floris 89 Toilet Water is finally over! And it was totally worth it! Albeit, I suspect that it has lost some if it's potency, it's still a very beautiful scent and smells a lot nicer than its current version. Oh, and the 200ml backup bottle of vintage Hammam Bouquet will come in handy! ;)

And amidst the news of Penhaligon discounting English Fern - I was lucky enough to snag a 200ml bottle of English Fern from the 90s.
Olle
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Charcoal Goods stainless steel Level 2 with Maze and Beehive handles
_______
John
churchilllafemme

Mirror-polished Wolfman WR2 0.95
_______
John
churchilllafemme

I decided to explore the world of fragrances a bit, so I have a collection of samples coming from eBay.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo aftershave
_______
John
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

A 200ml backup bottle of English Fern. The date on the back of the box states it's from 1999.
Olle
churchilllafemme

A bag of cologne samples arrived. I'm looking forward to trying them, most of which I have never used.
_______
John
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

John, did you select the individual samples or was it a cross-your-fingers-and-hope-for-the best type of deal? Was it from a single vendor or did you go to each vendor and pick one?
Bill
churchilllafemme

Bill_K wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 am John, did you select the individual samples or was it a cross-your-fingers-and-hope-for-the best type of deal? Was it from a single vendor or did you go to each vendor and pick one?
Hi, Bill. It was a single lot offered on eBay. I could see in the images of the listing that there were several samples that I had wanted to try. Today I am going to use Houbigant Ciao, which I haven't used (or even seen) before.
_______
John
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Today I got a haircut and a bottle of Reuzel aftershave from my barber.
I was in no danger of running out yet, but I wanted a backup.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Not seen this brand before. Like the guillotine logo.
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Rufus wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:11 am Not seen this brand before. Like the guillotine logo.
It's great stuff. It's got less alcohol than most splashes so not quite so much of a bite.
The scent is on the soapy side of barbershop, but not powdery.
Oddly enough, the stuff in my older bottles was always cloudy, this new stuff is perfectly transparent but the same colour.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
churchilllafemme

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet bundle of shaving soap, cream, and balm. I didn't really need any more cream or soap, but this lot includes the tallow soap and was a pretty good deal. I don't know if I'll keep any of the items or just pass them on.
_______
John
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

churchilllafemme wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:48 am Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet bundle of shaving soap, cream, and balm. I didn't really need any more cream or soap, but this lot includes the tallow soap and was a pretty good deal. I don't know if I'll keep any of the items or just pass them on.
You bastard, I was just about to put in an order myself -- a real bargain! :evil:

:wink:
Olle
churchilllafemme

adhoc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:06 pm
churchilllafemme wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:48 am Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet bundle of shaving soap, cream, and balm. I didn't really need any more cream or soap, but this lot includes the tallow soap and was a pretty good deal. I don't know if I'll keep any of the items or just pass them on.
You bastard, I was just about to put in an order myself -- a real bargain! :evil:

Indeed. I'm not really sure at this point if I'm going to keep any of them or just pass them on.
_______
John
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

churchilllafemme wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 pm
adhoc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:06 pm

Indeed. I'm not really sure at this point if I'm going to keep any of them or just pass them on.
If you do, I'll happily buy the soap at least!
Olle
churchilllafemme

A vintage Somerset Simpson 'Extra Super' (Manchurian) Chubby 3 arrived. I'm glad to have it back.
ImageImageImageImageImage
_______
John
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Hammam bouquet shaving cream, scent wise probably my favourite shaving cream already. And a vintage bowl of Taylors Lavander shaving soap (thanks Chris)!

Olle
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

adhoc wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:03 pm Hammam bouquet shaving cream, scent wise probably my favourite shaving cream already. And a vintage bowl of Taylors Lavander shaving soap (thanks Chris)!

I Havent got around to and use the Taloyr's soap yet but the Hammam shaving cream was simply outstanding - hands down my new favourite shaving cream, the scent is heavenly and close to the cologne and old Penhaligon's cream are as allways superb!
Olle
churchilllafemme

Vintage Floris Santal shaving creams
_______
John