Shishito Peppers

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
churchilllafemme

Shishito Peppers

Post by churchilllafemme »

We had our annual holiday lunch with my two sisters today, and the café had blistered shishito peppers as an appetizer. I had to try it, since I had never had them before. They were quite good, sweet and with the occasional bite somewhat hot. Sorry about the messy image; I had already eaten a few when I remembered to take the picture.
_______
John
Gene

Re: Shishito Peppers

Post by Gene »

Popular here in Austin, too. I never found any heat in one I ate, though. But I like them.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for bringing this pepper to my attention! Gotta try 'em!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

looks delicious. thanks for the mouth water :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was going to sample these peppers, but now it seems my local grocers don't stock them (yet). Maybe I should check with the Mexican, Indian, and Asian markets? After I eventually locate these, I am thinking I should stuff them with cream cheese and wrap them in bacon before I bake them in the oven.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

A moment of research yielded information that Shishito peppers are somewhat sweet, and rarely if ever hot like jalapenos. Earlier this year I had a less than desirably weak experience with Hatch "mild" peppers, and I was disappointed by the mild sweet flavor. I prefer moderately hot peppers, but never as hot as the Habanero or the "hot" Hatch variety.
Gary