SOTD January 6 -January 12, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

SOTD January 6 -January 12, 2020

Post by jgreenepa »

Record your daily shaves
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD January 6 -January 13, 2020

Post by jgreenepa »

ECB02D58-F286-442A-ABBF-AC6900801D8A.jpeg
ECB02D58-F286-442A-ABBF-AC6900801D8A.jpeg (521.12 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
SOTD 01/06/20

Excellent shave today with my AS-D2 and Stirling’s Glacial Obsidian shaving soap and matching AS. I’m always amazed at the closeness of the shave delivered by this razor. When I first bought the razor, I thought, like many others, that it was too mild. That was until a friend on another board suggested that I only use Feather blades, and that I should experiment with the correct shaving angle. His suggestion to ride the bar throughout the shave proved cogent. I discovered when I did so, that not only was the razor NOT mild, but that it was highly efficient. The neutral to slightly negative blade exposure was at its optimum cutting power when riding the bar. The result then, and every day since for me has been a near, if not complete BBS, when shaving with this razor with virtually no blade feel. Seki’s engineers really understand safety razor cutting dynamics.

In conclusion, the Stirling soap combined beautifully with PAA’s Preshave Cube provided a near BBS of both head and dome.
I feel cooool, smooooth, and refreshed!

RAZOR: Seki AS-D2
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Stirling Glacial Obsidian
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Stirling Glacial Obsidian AS Splash
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 49
Soap: Godrej
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: German Wilkinson
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Canoe

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 1
Cream: Green Pond Sandalwood
Blade: German Wilkinson
A/S: British Sterling
Cologne / Fragrance: Jimmy Choo

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B1D40C7F-49D8-4BEB-A2DC-0D8EBC406A97.jpeg
B1D40C7F-49D8-4BEB-A2DC-0D8EBC406A97.jpeg (508.11 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
SOTD 01/07/20

Today I shaved with a wonderful razor, the Fine Marvel, and it truly is! I’d read very positive reviews in Sharpologist and on some of the various shaving boards that praised its unique design consisting of a .95 blade gap and a huge blocky safety bar coupled with a sharply angled top cap. At first glance, the razor appears rather aggressive, but in actuality the shave is quite mild, but highly efficient. Jason Rodman of Ruds Shaves claimed its shave superior to artisan razors three to four times it’s price! I would agree! Interestingly, it’s design seems to harken back to the LaResche 77 of the 30s. At least the base plates have a similar exaggerated curve, although the blade gap on the LaResche is even more extreme. The only downside to the razor is the slippery chrome handle which I exchanged for a SS Barber Pole handle. I lathered up with MDC Vetyver and experienced a two pass BBS with one very minor weeper under my left jaw which cleared up after the witch hazel application. For $40, this inexpensive pot metal razor is a no brainer. It’s going into the regular rotation. I’m looking forward to shaving with it over the next few days!

RAZOR: Fine Marvel Safety Razor
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave
SOAP: Martin de Candre Vetyver
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Snake Bite AS Splash
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Cream: Arko Sensitive
Blade: Voskhod Teflon
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Night Time

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F18146BC-45D7-4780-A727-7ACDB21D1A7B.jpeg
F18146BC-45D7-4780-A727-7ACDB21D1A7B.jpeg (547.89 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
SOTD 01/08/20

What a splendidly designed razor. Despite the cold and snow, I enjoyed a relaxing and surprisingly close two pass shave! MWF whipped up with Jayaruh Custom #372 into a glistening, slick protective lather that initially left me wondering whether I had a blade in the razor! Talk about smooth! The razor is aptly named, and delivered a shave easily the equal of my Vector, AS-D2 or Silversmith, all great razor’s, but ranging from 4 to 4 1/2 times the price of this little Marvel. BBS shave #2 was bloodless and left me feeling clean, refreshed and oh so very smooooth on both noggin and face.

RAZOR: Fine Marvel Safety Razor
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #372
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Cream: Godrej Lime
Blade: Voskhod
A/S: Clubman Shave Cream
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Silver Black

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

CFA92508-A7AB-44F1-983E-DD0DDD3BB785.jpeg
CFA92508-A7AB-44F1-983E-DD0DDD3BB785.jpeg (587.62 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
SOTD 01/09/20

This will be my last shave with the Fine Marvel razor. Not much to say about the process, but I can say that this razor is now part of regular rotation. I soaped up with the Grooming Dept’s Scentless Donkey Milk soap. I love all of Mohammed’s soaps. The Donkey Milk whipped up into a thick, glistening lather that the Marvel glided through effortlessly. Two passes on the face and one and one half half on the noggin and that’s all she wrote. The result - another BBS on both shaving areas. There was no heat or burn anywhere after testing with the Alum block. I love the way my face feels with this soap. I washed both dome and face afterwards with the Donkey Milk brush squeezings and could have foregone the AS, but being a Menth head enjoyed the wonderful cooling effect of Royal Lyme AS enhanced with a generous amount of M-Bomb.

RAZOR: Fine Marvel Safety Razor on SS Barber Pole handle
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Omega Pro48
SOAP: Grooming Dept Donkey Milk
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Toyall Lyme AS Splash
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Omega 49
Soap: Williams
Blade: Voskhod
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Silver Black

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C8DD4084-2C22-442D-B968-76B08E48D33D.jpeg
C8DD4084-2C22-442D-B968-76B08E48D33D.jpeg (635.13 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
SOTD 01/10/20

It’s Fatboy Wool Fat Friday. Broke out my 1960 Fatboy (datecode F1) and whipped up my favorite soap, MWF, and proceeded to have a decent shave. Not really a fan of this razor. Cranked it up to 9, while protected by a glistening, thick Fat lather supplemented and enhanced by PAA’s Preshave Cube for that first pass. The razor delivered a decent whisker reduction, but still needed two more passes for an acceptably close shave. Cranked down to 7 for the final two passes leaving me with one or two areas in my typical trouble spots which weren’t as close as I’d like, but I know from experience with this razor that I should stop to avoid any bloodletting. This razor is typically a one and done. Tomorrow I’ll shave with the Occam’s DE razor, originally purchased as a Christmas present for one of my sons, who as it turns out is in love with his OneBlade. So I kept it after reading all the positive reviews. Today I feel clean, somewhat smooth and refreshed, and that’s the story for Friday, and I’m sticking to it!

RAZOR: Gillette Fatboy (9,7,7)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Royall Lyme AS Splash
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6BFD27D5-D369-4C79-AD97-A0EDC33AFD57.jpeg
6BFD27D5-D369-4C79-AD97-A0EDC33AFD57.jpeg (537.86 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
SOTD 01/11/20

Well, I have to admit, the Occam’s DE is one heck of a shaving tool. I have the full set with both caps and the three plates. The least aggressive plate is apparently a clone of the Muehle R89. I selected the most aggressive plate which appears very similar to the plate on my Eclipse Red Ring. Directions on Classic Shaving’s site recommend the use of a Feather blade in this safety razor. So that’s what I used. I fell back on my favorite soap, MWF and PAA’s Preshave Cube coupled with my Viking Silvertip Badger to provide a known ideal lathering platform for my first pass with this new razor. The razor is beautifully balanced in the hand and an incredibly smooth shaver that reminded me of my AS-D2, albeit with a much more generous sweet spot. I understand why people like this razor. Two clean effortless, bloodless passes on the face and one and a half on the dome and that’s all she wrote! The razor was allegedly designed for new DE shavers. A 316L SS safety razor based on a MIM process with these kind of tolerances, three plates and two caps was an amazing buy for under 65 dollars during their pre-Christmas pricing. This is one excellent shaving tool. I’m really going to be enjoying my shaves with this razor over the next few days. I feel clean, refreshed, and oh so very smooooth!

RAZOR: Classic Shaving’s Occam’s DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Preshave Cube
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Royall Lyme AS Splash
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F5EC5354-51CD-41FE-9447-CAD7DB25F79B.jpeg
F5EC5354-51CD-41FE-9447-CAD7DB25F79B.jpeg (523.95 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
SOTD 01/12/20

The Occam’s DE is one terrific safety razor. When used with a Feather blade it really can’t be beat! This morning I decided to use one of my preferred shaving soaps, Wholly Kaw King of Oud. The indescribable scent that wafted from the slick, glistening lather whipped up with Jayaruh’s Custom Boar is truly transporting. It brought back my traveling days and the Market in Marrakech. The shave was relaxing, and pleasant with minimal, if any, blade feel, and mimicked my first exposure to this razor - two passes for the face, and one and a half for the dome. I feel clean, smooooth and revitalized this morning.

RAZOR: Occam’s DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
SOAP: Wholly Kaw King of Oud
CMur12

Re: SOTD January 6 -January 12, 2020

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp

Brush: "Synthetic 2-Band" by the Stirling Soap Company
Soap: Stirling Soap Company

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel