SOTD January 13 -January 19, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD January 13 -January 19, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 1
Cream: Arko Commando
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Voskhod
A/S: Clubman
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Elixir

Mike
Mike R

Re: SOTD January 13 -January 19, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Blade: Feather
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Vintage Shulton Old Spice

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

37D26960-8B26-4A85-A966-490C5F624C0A.jpeg
37D26960-8B26-4A85-A966-490C5F624C0A.jpeg (603.58 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
SOTD 01/14/20

Returned from Pleasant Hill, TN yesterday, and all I can say is it’s nice to be home, and have reliable internet service again. My apologies for being unable to participate as fully as I like. The spotty service from Friday to yesterday was frustrating! In any case, shave #3 continues to reinforce my very positive impressions of the Occam’s DE. I really like the aggressive plate on the razor which actually is quite efficient. The Grooming Dept’s Donkey Milk Soap whipped up beautifully with my Jayaruh Custom Two Band Badger brush. The longer rosewood handle, besides being very attractive, made it easier to soap up the back of my head. In addition the lather combined beautifully with the PAA Cube Preshave soap to again deliver an incredibly close first pass. So close, in fact, that my second pass consisted mostly of some selective buffing in my regular three trouble spots around my face. Using the same double soap prep on the noggin sunk all the balls! The alum block revealed some very slight heat in the middle of the back of my head, but otherwise, DFS all around. I feel clean, smoooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Occam’s DE
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Two Band Badger with Rosewood Handle
SOAP: Grooming Dept’s Donkey Milk
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Aqua Velva (Spanish Version)
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Monday SOTN

razor - Edwin Jagger DE87
blade - Astra SP (1)
soap - TOBS Mr Taylors
brush - Sterling 2-Band Synthetic
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Old Spice Classic

I finally figured out how to choose an aftershave of the day. I go alphabetically.
It has the added benefit of keeping the fougeres (Brut & Pinaud Clubman) apart. Otherwise they start bickering.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Cream: Trumper's Coconut
A/S: Afta Fresh
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E96E5E16-A567-4CF7-9CB9-F0659DF6EE1C.jpeg
E96E5E16-A567-4CF7-9CB9-F0659DF6EE1C.jpeg (459.23 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
SOTD 01/15/20

Spent last night in our condo in Philly. I’d like to acknowledge Dave Saco (ECWS) from my Meetup for the inspiration to pull out my Colonial Silversmith. I keep forgetting what an incredibly great razor design it is! Kudos to Kyle and Kirk Evans of Colonial Razor here in Birdsboro, PA. I’d thought I had a tuck of Feather blades here in Philly. I did, but it was empty! So I had to settle for a Polsilver. Woe is me!! (Just kidding!) In any case, I do really like the Occam’s DE, which I‘be shaved with over the last week, but for me, the Silversmith edged it out in smoothness. One of my favorite shaving creams, Kapo, out of Bulgaria, provided a lovely protective cushion enhanced by the Grooming Dept’s Unscented Preshave Gel.
The Polsilver was fresh and sharp enough that I again experienced the total lack of auditory feedback associated with this razor. If I didn’t see the plethora of whiskers at each rinse, I would have thought there was no blade in the Silversmith. A bloodless, beautiful two pass face shave coupled with a single pass noggin scrape left me feeling clean, smooooth, cooool, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Colonial Silversmith
BLADE: Polsilver
BRUSH: WCS Best Badger
CREAM: Kapo Classic
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Dickinson’s WH and finished with Fine Snake Bite
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Omega 49
Soap: Godrej + Arko
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Old Spice (Current Formulation)

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

4327D155-C27A-4958-B047-1CFA1919E92F.jpeg
4327D155-C27A-4958-B047-1CFA1919E92F.jpeg (548.2 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
SOTD 01/16/20

After my great Silversmith shave yesterday, I decided to use my DLC coated SS Lupo as a point of comparison. I loaded another Polsilver blade and had at it! Wow! What can I say, but that I have some incredible DE razors. The only real difference between today and yesterday’s shave might be auditory feedback and a slight edge in smoothness for the Silversmith. The Glacial Stirling Obsidian soap and AS Splash were a wonderful complement to today’s shave. I really enjoyed the Anise scent as I shaved. But I have come to a realization. I have too many dang safety razors! It’s time to simplify. As a result, I’m instituting my usability criterion. Any modern razors I keep must be capable of both dome and face shaves. On the collection side, I will be getting rid of any duplicates that I own, and will no longer collect vintage razors made after 1950 with the exception of French razors. I have about 25-30 razors I’ll be unloading on a number of dedicated shave forums with the exception of one forum which is a shill site for the owner.
So to return to this shave, I can categorically state that this razor is a keeper as is the Silversmith. Two passes on the face and one and one half on the dome left me feeling clean, cooool, smooooth and refreshed

RAZOR: RazoRock DLC Coated SS Lupo
BLADE: Polsilver
PREP: Cold Water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Stirling Glacial Obsidian AS Splash
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

8888F190-A059-4798-ACF2-5D39EC49785B.jpeg
8888F190-A059-4798-ACF2-5D39EC49785B.jpeg (490.69 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
SOTD 01/17/20

Friday greetings to all! I so enjoyed my shave yesterday, that I decided to repeat it! I usually fall back on my favorite MWF, but that wonderful Anise scent from the Stirling Glacial Obsidian reminds me of a favorite gum from my childhood, Blackjack, which my grandfather, a WWI Marine vet always used to always carry! Blackjack chewing gum finally returned in 2018 and is as delicious as it has ever been. This old-fashioned gum established multiple “firsts” upon its invention in 1884 in the United States. With its black licorice taste, Blackjack was the first flavored gum available in America. I realized that it stoked very good memories of fishing with him as a small boy! As it turns out, I ‘m now a grandfather and have outlived him by a decade and a year.
Anyway, back to this great shave! BBS all around as yesterday! I’m really enjoying the new Jayaruh Custom Silvertip Badger with the extended Rosewood handle. It whipped up a generous lather allowing that lovely Anise scent to waft around enhancing what turned out to be a luxurious, thick, glistening, protective lather! I don’t know whether it’s half a century of wet shaving experience or just the razors, but I’ve never cut or nicked myself with either the Lupo or Silversmith. I feel clean, smooooth, coool, and refreshed. I’m really looking forward to spending time with my grandson this afternoon.

RAZOR: Razarock DLC Coated SS Lupo
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Stirling Glacial Obsidian AS Splash
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Omega 49
Soap: Godrej + Arko
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Aspen

Mike
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Friday SOTN

razor - Wilkinson Sword "Classic" metal TTO (ships in black and grey box, long handle)
blade - Astra SP (4)
soap - B+M Seville
brush - Omega 10086 Travel Boar
repair - Clubman Jumbo Styptic Pencil - on that same spot between my left lip corner and jaw that often gets a weeper.
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Mennen Skin Bracer

I thought I'd like the longer handle on the WS razor. Turns out the balance feels weird, so I don't use it so much. (Got it last Spring or so?)
I suppose I could get used to it if I used it exclusively, and it gives as good a shave as any of my Super-Speeds or the Rocket.

Oh - I also treated myself to a brand-new bar of "Caprina Fresh Goats Milk Soap with Shea Butter" for the prep shower.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B39A5897-C1D5-45E4-8B9C-F0B007015588.jpeg
B39A5897-C1D5-45E4-8B9C-F0B007015588.jpeg (589.63 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
SOTD 01/18/20

Why does my Rex Ambassador dislike me? My Gibbs #17 Adjustable easily meets my dual criterion (cf face AND head shave proven) even with its short handle. In fact, the handle is shorter and the razor lighter than the Rex which is modeled after it! Clearly, a tool can’t harbor negative feelings. So there must be some aspect of my technique that’s the problem. I’m going to spend the next couple of shaves focusing on the Rex.
The shave today was relatively uneventful. The MWF provided its usual comfortable cushion and the Gibbs delivered a two pass DFS without incident. One point of departure between the original and its homage is that the head design is different with respect to blade exposure and cap curvature. The Gibbs has a neutral blade exposure while the Rex appears very slightly positive, at least on my particular model. Curvature on the cap is flatter than the Rex as well. That may be why a 6 on the Gibbs does provide more efficiency without a corresponding increase in aggression. Both head and face shaves on the Gibbs were completed on setting 6 leaving me feeling quite smooth. If I attempted the same setting on the Rex, I’d end up scalping myself. I can handle a face shave on the maximum setting on both razors. It’s the rear of the dome where the rubber hits the road, or in my case, the blade my scalp. I’ve always shaved the back of my head ATG in one pass. It works fine with the Gibbs, never an issue. Every time I’ve used the Rex in the same fashion it bites. This happens even on a lower setting. The Rex gets four more chances, this time WTG or XTG. If it continues to bite, it goes!

RAZOR: Gibbs Adjustable #17
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Ariana & Evans Post-Shave Serum
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

D2CDA9A8-0FF1-4E0E-8A98-4787A5667BE6.jpeg
D2CDA9A8-0FF1-4E0E-8A98-4787A5667BE6.jpeg (544.21 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
SOTD 01/19/20

Well, after the first of several shaves to come, the score stands, Rex Ambassador 1, Jeff 0! I can’t seem to dial this razor in. One weeper on the face and three nicks on the dome requiring styptic intervention with some serious irritation on the front of my neck and under my right jawline. I just shouldn’t have to work so hard. I’ve yet to have a comfortable shave with this razor. Three passes on the face and one and a half on the dome left me with an unsatisfactory rough shave. The caffeinated shave cream whipped up into a nice thick protective lather, but to no avail! I’ve only had one other razor treat me this way, and that was the OneBlade Hybrid, but for totally different reasons. That razor was designed for cart shavers transitioning to the single blade world, and since I never shaved with carts did not get the pressure part of that technique that went counter to every instinct developed over 50 yrs of wet shaving. In the Rex’s case I have no such excuse. I did notice that the razor did not glide smoothly through the lather. I know it was the razor because I picked up the Gibbs and tried a few strokes through the lather, and did not have the same issue. I’ll be trying one more shave, and if the issue continues, it’s off to RE for a checkup. And if things continue someone will get a great deal on a Rex. I feel like my neck and head are sore from the depredations of this razor. Hopefully, tomorrow’s shave will be an improvement.

RAZOR: Rex Ambassador
BLADE: Suneko
CREAM: Pacific Shaving Company’s Caffeinated Shave Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Pacific Shaving Company’s Caffeinated AS Balm
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp

Brush: Semogue 1305 (boar)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel

- Murray
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

A7A87DFA-B2D2-4C10-BB9A-57606A5C7960.jpeg
A7A87DFA-B2D2-4C10-BB9A-57606A5C7960.jpeg (471.82 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
SOTD 01/20/20

Good morning to all on this bright and sunny Martin Luther King day here in Philadelphia. At this point I cry uncle and concede. Off to RE for a checkup! There’s something off with my Rex. The same issues cropped up at setting 3 and setting 1. First, it didn’t shave well, and continues to drag, so rather than plow ahead with the kind of facial and dome damage experienced yesterday, I set it aside and finished with my Gibbs on setting 6, which delivered the kind of delightful shave I enjoy in the mornings. The beauty of the Gibbs design is that even at the widest blade gap, only the efficiency increases, not the aggression. My well-loved MWF did its usual fine job of providing the glistening, yogurty cushion I prefer for my shaves. Just a shoutout to Jim Roe(@Jayaruh) of Jayaruh Custom Brushes. His long rosewood handled Silvertip Badger has worked beautifully for me! I find myself reaching for it more and more frequently. I own 4 of his brushes, and everyone delivers the goods! So what started off on a low note finished on a high one. SWMBO is traveling, so I broke out the Chatillon Lux AS to top off a great shave! Two pass near BBS on the face and dome - I had to proceed a bit cautiously around the damaged areas from yesterday, I feel clean, smooth and refreshed! I hope everyone enjoys their day! I know I will!

RAZOR: Gibbs #17 (6)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Chatillon Lux AS