Kirks Castille, Yardley and Mitchell's Wool Fat

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Kirks Castille, Yardley and Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post by Sam »

Been using Mitchells Wool Fat to wash my face. The bar takes forever to use up. In like a year, not even half way finished. It was so creamy at first, a ecru color, but it is more white now and the lather is a bit thinner. Still good, just not as much lanolin goodness. Using a new Kirks in the shower and it lathers up like no one's business but it somehow seems drying. I notice that the new three-pack of Yardley I have from Walmarts says sodium tallowate/sodoium palm kernate but they still work fine.

Don't know which one I will settle on, but I seem to think Yardley for the shower and the Mitchell's for the face, maybe moving the MWF when it gets less lathery or creamy to the shower.

Anyone with similar experiences?
brothers

Re: Kirks Castille, Yardley and Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post by brothers »

Sam, I've gone through a similar process over the past few months. My face/shower everyday bar soap is the inexpensive 3-pack Palmolive Classic Scent from Dollar Tree. The first listed ingredients are Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate, just as does the Yardley. It makes a bountiful and cleansing lather and seems to last a long time even though it's not a large bar. In the past I've frequently used those other soaps you've mentioned, and as I recall, the Kirk's did seem to be drying. I've used up a couple of bars of MWF bar soap in the past. It's very good, but I didn't stick with it over the long term.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I tried to do a little experiment tonight. I washed my face first using the Kirks and felt my face and yes my face was dry, almost like moving your finger across the cheeks they would stop and you have to force them to go up your cheek. Then I washed my face with the old bar of Mitchell‘s Wool fat and it felt positively slick compared to the Kirks. I’ll go ahead and keep the Kirks consigned to the shower and when I finish with that I will whip out a Yardley and compare how my face feels with that. The winner will stay as the face soap and the loser will go into the shower

If the winner is Yardley, I’ll use that as a face soap and the Mitchell’s will go into the shower and then when I finish the Mitchell’s, Yardley will be in both shower on the face
Gene

Post by Gene »

Sam - I tried Kirks a few years ago, and liked it. In a thread way back then someone on our forum said that the amount of coconut in the soap made it too drying, and didn't recommend it for face use.

I also bought Mitchell's and used it in the shower. I really liked it. In the shower it won't last as long as your results for face only, but it does last quite a while. But it's expensive at about $8.00 a bar -- a LOT higher than the Palmolive I get for less than $1.00. I guess we could do the math and break it down to the cost of the soap per shower taken, but that seems like a lot of effort.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i keep looking for a soap that hydrates, especially in the winter season. The search seems to be never ending, I guess because no such product exists and marketing companies are at the top of their game. I still need to make a trip to the dollar store for palmolive...would buy via amzn but palmolive gets sold by the crate there :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I think Chris said Kiss My Face soap was hydrating
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i was enabled :)

finally got to a store that had palmolive and while in wegmans the other day i picked up a bar of kirk's. What i like about kirk's is the very, very short ingredient list and the lather is nice, but i felt 'stingy' afterwards....might be becks induced, will have to try again. The palmolive was very nice and only one dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I admit to opening this thread to read it simply because of the title ....... :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

tried some dove for sensitive skin. so far so good. starting with the kirks and then palmolive, my skin went on strike, and so both soaps have been shelved

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S. for about a year ive been using nubian heritage raw shea butter and also their rose, but i found that by the end of the day my bo was more noticeable than when i used mwf or vinolia and so nubian is off to the 'shelf' too :D :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, have you tried the Nancy Boy soaps? They're large and not too expensive compared to many other name brands. Offered in 7 fragrances. A lot of 3 bars carries a decent discount. I used more than a few when I was going through as many different brands and scents as I could find. I'd be just fine if that was the only bath soap I used. I don't have any skin issues, so I have no opinion in that regard. Ingredients and scents are listed on the website, of course. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Gary.....I'll give them a try.

clive