SOTD May 18 - May 24, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD May 18 - May 24, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Lotion, Sensitive Skin

Mike
pausted

Re: SOTD May 18 - May 24, 2020

Post by pausted »

Boellis Panama 1924 soap
Semogue IB LE boar brush
Colonial General razor
Feather Pro blade
Royal Copenhagen aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

07143A3C-0D58-416C-9206-66474D055FA0.jpeg
07143A3C-0D58-416C-9206-66474D055FA0.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 4593 times
SOTD MONDAY, MAY 18, 2020

I know everyone talks about Wool Fat Friday, but I’m declaring this Mitchell’s Monday. I’ve been neglecting my #1 favorite soap. There’s nothing that compares to MWF spiced 6 drops of M-Bomb. Now I know everyone loves those stinky PAA soaps. I need to stay away from smelly soaps due to my SWMBO’s fragrance allergy. Mitchell’s is the perfect soap. Great post shave feel and minimal to virtually non-existent odor when working the same puck after a few days. For the shave today, I decided on a Gillette.. My favorite Gillettes are my Single Rings, my Big Fellow, and my New Standard. Since I've recently shaved with the first two, I selected the New Standard for today’s shave. This little 58 gram wonder feels great in the hand and delivers a first rate shave.

The brush selected was the Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with the 26mm two band Badger ferrule. Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver AS Splash and A&E Post-Shave Serum completed the software selections. After the shower, the shave began with the usual cold water rinse. Face and dome lathering with this huge 26mm fan knot was such a luxurious pleasure. MWF just feels great, and leaves ones skin feeling great. Now it’s time to mention this 99 year old razor (1921). The New Standard just shaves so well for me! With a Feather blade it delivers the goods while singing the stubble reduction song. I would shave with this razor much more regularly, if I didn’t have so many great DE and SE safety razors already. In any case, three slow, relaxing passes later (WTG, XTG, ATG) put the baby to bed!
I feel cool, clean, smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Gillette New Standard
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute Brush w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Fan Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat enhanced w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: Darwin Deluxe

Blade: Gillette "the Spoiler" V1 (3)
Attachments
IMG_1660.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4592 times
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Arko
A/S: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Cologne / Fragrance: The Man - Silver

Mike
Z-2

Post by Z-2 »

Razor : Gillette 40s Super Speed (Z-1)
Blade : Gillette Platinum
Shaving brush : Bevel badger
Shaving cream : Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood
AS : Nivea Balm

Lolita Haze: Do you always have to shave twice a day?
Humbert Humbert: Yes, of course, because all the best people shave twice a day (from the film Lolita (1962))
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C545F6F1-B820-4922-B73F-CA84B3EBA460.jpeg
C545F6F1-B820-4922-B73F-CA84B3EBA460.jpeg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 4568 times
SOTD TUESDAY, May 19, 2020

Although I didn’t want to, I couldn’t help myself and decided to shave with this razor that was still in the restoration process. The Schick Type F is a a safety razor that is highly sought after by collectors. It’s production process was quite limited by the metal resource demands of WWII.

It was produced from November 1940 through February 1941 when production was stopped. There are a limited number of these razors available thus the cachet for collectors. According to data from Worthpoint, razors in mint condition with the original case have sold for as much as $350.

Then there’s my razor. It originally belonged to the father of my next-door neighbor, and had spent the last 20 years in his garage attic along with much of his father’s original belongings. It had seen some hard times apparently traveling with his Dad throughout the Pacific WWII theater until landing in the attic. It was given to me by my neighbor for helping clean out the aforementioned attic. I still need to spend some time with some 2000 grit sandpaper evening out many of the dings it accumulated over the last 80 years. It is cleaning up very nicely.

The shave, however, was quite disappointing. The razor was unbelievably mild with a Chinese Schick blade. My MWF lather was thick and yogurty, but the danged razor just didn’t seem capable of cutting my whiskers effectively. Next shave I’ll use a Schick Proline B-20. Maybe that’ll make a difference. Usually I dump any razor that doesn’t shave well, but given how pretty this one is, and in the interest of fairness, I’ll continue shaving with it until I can get it dialed in.

I guess for the price I shouldn’t complain. What is really remarkable was that after 4 passes (WTG, ATG, ATG, ATG) the Alum revealed no heat anywhere. After all is said and done, the shave was a CCS. Hopefully, as I learn my way around this razor my shaves will improve. I feel frustrated, clean and refreshed, but definitely not smooth!

RAZOR: Schick Type F
BLADE: Chinese Schick
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac Finest 23/48
AOS Sandalwood soap*
Rockwell 6S on plate 5
US Personna Med Prep
Lucky Tiger Aftershave
Swiss Army Classic edt

*vintage, with tallow
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Soap: QED Sandalwood
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Gel, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Roberto Capucci - Him

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

DA000EBF-F6DE-43CE-9F4B-ED96392D05EE.jpeg
DA000EBF-F6DE-43CE-9F4B-ED96392D05EE.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 4542 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY, MAY 20, 2020

After receiving my free Schick Type F, I spent a few days cleaning it up. While doing so I read extensively on what I could expect shave-wise. The most extensive practical thread was on B&B. It was started by a guy with two Type Fs, a user and what he described as a NOS model. Now I realize given the adage we all know (YMMV), different skin types and beard growth patterns yield different results. He described the F Type as a moderately aggressive shaver. That has not been my experience at all. Yesterday’s shave was extremely mild with a Chinese Schick Blade. So much so that after 4 passes I barely had what could be characterized as a CCS. The B&B writer was either a downy cheeked boy, or there were technical issues afoot. I suspected and hoped for the latter.

So for today’s shave I loaded a Schick Proline blade. The shave was slightly better, but only because I changed the shave angle such that the razor handle was perpendicular to the shave surface and applied a fair bit of pressure. This is not the way my E Type, G Type or L Type Shave. The F Type did shave, but again only a CCS, and a very uneven one at that. It was so frustrating that I pulled out my Shake Sharp and finished the shave after two frustrating ATG passes. The Shake Sharp sheared through the remaining very uneven stubble right down to the skin line. The two positives about this shave were the Nancy Boy Signature shave cream I used, and a surprisingly capable little Kent Synthetic shave brush I ignored for months after receiving it as part of the TSD Secret Santa last year.

Mantic59 described Nancy Boy as one of the best premium shave creams available in his 2019 end of year review. And he wasn’t kidding. I’ve never experienced as thick, shiny, slick and luxurious a lather from a shave cream before. This is right up there with MWF. Perfect for a nasal barbarian den, as there is no overpowering scent resulting in a happy fragrance-sensitive SWMBO. The little Kent Synthetic had great backbone which proved quite effective as it performed beautifully throughout the shave. The 6 drops of M-Bomb set the stage for a spectacular finish with Krampert’s Frostbyte AS. I feel clean, very cool, smooth and refreshed. Tomorrow I’ll be loading a trimmed down Feather Super AC blade in my quest to achieve a decent shave from this razor.

RAZOR: Schick Type F
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synthetic
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Krampert’s Frostbyte AS Splash.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Muehle synthetic 25mm
Homemade vetiver soap
Rockwell 6S w/plate #5
Silver Blue blade day 3
Lucky Tiger Aftershave
TdH Eau Intense Vetiver
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Blade: Polsilver
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Lotion, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: one million

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E1026BBE-1C17-461D-B393-EDEE311E2DC2.jpeg
E1026BBE-1C17-461D-B393-EDEE311E2DC2.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 4512 times
SOTD THURSDAY, MAY 21, 2020

There’s no doubt in my my mind at this point that something’s off in the head geometry of my F Type. The shave this morning with the modified Feather Super AC blade was not perceptibly different from the two prior shaves, as was evident in the beginning of the first pass. I shave fine with all my other Injector razors, so it’s not my technique. This razor went through the Pacific theater during WWII with its original Marine Officer owner. There is damage to the right interior part of the head. See photo. I’ve arranged a tune-up for it at Razor Emporium. They did a beautiful job repairing my defective Rex Ambassador. I’m hoping the same will hold true for my F Type.

So what started off as an F Type shave ended up a shave with my faithful GE Jones Shake Sharp. My friend, David, swears by his Ronson as his goto razor. While most of us with sizable numbers of razors can’t really identify a “daily driver”, we do have our favorites. The GE Jones Shake Sharp (Model 1.5) is mine. It is my auto BBS razor. As some marketers say about great products, “it just works”! And that was certainly the case today. What I like to describe as a two pass VBBS (Velveteen BBS). Given my frustration with the last two shaves, and the start of this one, I decided to indulge myself!

In addition to one of my favorite razors, I selected Nancy Boy Signature Shave cream and my Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush with the 26mm two band Badger ferrule. The amazingly slick, shiny, thick lather enhanced with my usual 6 drops of M-Bomb felt great on both mug and noggin when painted on with this wonderfully huge knot. I really love this cream. It has a very refreshing soapy scent which sits quite well with SWMBO. And that knot really delivered the goods. Two luxuriously cooling passes later left me feeling clean, smooth, cool and amazingly refreshed. The Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash was the icing on the cake.

RAZOR: Schick F Type followed by GE Jones Shake Sharp (Model 1.5)
BLADE: Modified Feather Super (F Type); 2 Stacked Polsilver (Shake Sharp)
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ Two Band Badger Knot Ferrule
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Cream: Trumper Sandalwood
Blade: Polsilver
A/S: Aqua Velva Musk
Cologne / Fragrance: The Man - Silver

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

5A866E8A-5393-4F05-8A7F-F43E94EB0D5A.jpeg
5A866E8A-5393-4F05-8A7F-F43E94EB0D5A.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 4477 times
SOTD FRIDAY, MAY 22, 2020

The first safety razors were SEs. I've really been missing my vintage Gem razors. A friend shaved with his Model 1912 recently. Having been inspired, I’ve decided to finish out the month with some of my vintage Gems starting with my 1930s era Brass Gem Jr. Model 1912. Some have struggled with these razors, but with Gems I believe it’s all in the blade. Don of Technichi Shave introduced me to the SS Pella Gem PTFE blades. They remind me of a Polsilver or Wizamet Super Iridium in blade feel, nicely sharp, but incredibly smooth.

I’ve really been enjoying my software over the last couple of shaves. Nancy Boy Signature shave cream is acknowledged as one of the best premium shave creams available today, and it definitely gets no argument from me on that score. When enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb, it can’t be beat. What I really like about it is how easy it is to build an incredibly rich, slick, cooling lather directly on both mug and noggin with the Viking Silvertip Badger brush. The shave began with a cold water rinse. The razor felt great in hand, and mowed my whiskers right down to the skin line in the first WTG pass. The second ATG pass put the baby to bed with a VBBS (Velveteen BBS). After several consecutive shaves with Nancy Boy, my skin feels incredibly good. I feel clean, cool, smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Brass Gem Jr. Model 1912
BLADE: Pella SS Gem PTFE
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Friday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp

Brush: Semogue 1305 (boar)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel

- Murray
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

025F37B6-A1CC-478B-BA01-8883DD2EEB4B.jpeg
025F37B6-A1CC-478B-BA01-8883DD2EEB4B.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4461 times
SOTD SATURDAY, MAY 23, 2020

Yesterday’s shave with my Brass Gem Jr. Model 1912 was spectacular. Realizing that all safety razors are essentially just blade holders, the fun part of the hobby for me has been mastering the particulars of shave technique peculiar to each blade holder design. William Henson patented the first “hoe design” safety razor in 1847, but it really wasn’t until the 1880s that the Kampfe Bros. of Brooklyn, NY began producing their SE safety razor that later led to the Gem brand. With my Gem razors, since discovering the delightfully smooth and sharp SS Pella blades, shave technique turns out to be consistently similar with these “hoe design” SEs. Yes, there are minor differences in stroke and angle when shaving with an OC versus a SB Gem model, but the design itself just works!

For today’s shave I selected the G-Bar. This particular blade holder is one of the SB variants, and has never failed to deliver a top-of-the-line shave, and this morning was no different. The razor has a certain heft that just feels good in the hand. It sang “scraping toast” lyrics as it mowed through my whiskers right down to the skin line on that first WTG pass. The Nancy Boy shave cream provided a nicely slick, cooling cushion with its 6 drops of M-Bomb added. The 15.8 oz 316L SS Synth by Rearden Razor provided a bit of exercise during the two lather applications. The second ATG pass brought your happy narrator to VBSS land, the objective of every shave, and an A on the cotton ball test. Alum revealed some slight heat on the top of the back of my dome, but otherwise, another spectacular Gem shave. I feel clean, cool, velveteen smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Gem G-Bar
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE
BRUSH: 316L SS Synthetic by Rearden Razor
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac Finest :)
Valobra shvae stick
Rockwell 6S plate 5
Gillette Silver Blue
Lucky Tiger splash
Eau de Rochas EDT
Regards,
Tim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band 24/50
Valobra hard shave soap
Rockwell 6S DE plate #5
Silver Blue blade, day 1
Lucky Tiger aftershave
Swiss Army Classic EDT
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

ADD2E400-C2A1-4211-9BCF-7C6CC915A750.jpeg
ADD2E400-C2A1-4211-9BCF-7C6CC915A750.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 4443 times
SOTD SUNDAY, MAY 24, 2020

The Gem MMOC (Micromatic Open Comb) was the first mainstream TTO (Twist To Open) production model released to the American public around 1930, as our own very able working razor historian, @jmudrick, pointed out in a Gem thread on another Razor forum. The attached ad is one he dug up indicating that it was already available in 1930. This may indicate the late 1920s (‘28 or ‘29) as the time of introduction by ASR (American Safety Razor corporation). The $1 price in 1930 would be worth approximately 15$ ($14.94) in 2020 dollars.

The one issue that arises with this razor is that there are no drains in the baseplate other than the OC teeth. Thus, it is easily clogged if not rinsed after every few strokes. This, of course, led to the introduction of the Gem MMCP (Micromatic Clog Pruf) a few years later to remedy the problem. The MMCP is essentially the same razor with a safety bar and two good sized lather drains in the baseplate. Unfortunately for the ASR, Gillette introduced their own TTO DE design 3 years after the MMOC, which had no drainage issues and provided two cutting edges reducing the need to rinse as frequently.

Despite its design failings, the MMOC is a great shaver for me! Being a bit OCD helps, as far as frequent rinsing goes. I loaded a fresh Pella SS PTFE blade for today’s shave. The shave cream is again Nancy Boy enhanced with the usual 6 drops of M-Bomb. The lather application tool today was the Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger Brush #378. Software included Thayers WH, Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash and A&E Post-Shave Serum. The shave was every bit as good as my Last three shaves with the Eveready Streamline, Brass Gem Model 1912 and My Gem G-Bar shave yesterday. Gems just work for me. There were no clogging issues with the razor thanks to my OCD. The result was another two pass VBSS. Tomorrow the shave will be with my Gem MMCP.

RAZOR: Gem MMOC
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE GEM
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb added
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.