SOTD MAY 25 - May 31, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD MAY 25 - MAY 31
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD MAY 25 - May 31

Post by jgreenepa »

34BD6C99-E82A-475B-AA5C-1AC0604AAC26.jpeg
34BD6C99-E82A-475B-AA5C-1AC0604AAC26.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 4581 times
SOTD MONDAY, MAY 25, 2020

As my Gem journey continues, I am consistently reminded by the superb shaves delivered why I enjoy and have collected these razors. The MMOC shave yesterday was superb. Many have described the latter razor as aggressive, but I believe many of the problems people experience with it arise from a failure to rinse frequently enough. There are no lather drains other than the spaces between the teeth on the MMOC. Clogging can be a real problem with to uneven blade exposure leading to a tendency to apply pressure. The result can be nicking. Frequent rinsing avoids the issue.

ASR was clearly aware of the issue as evidenced by the redesign they named the Clog Pruf! Instead of an OC, the revised model, the MMCP, featured a safety bar and good-sized lather drains. See photo. I can’t tell much difference in the shave, but did have another excellent one with my MMCP this morning. The only change between yesterday’s shave and today’s was the brush selected.

For today’s shave I chose my Jayaruh Custom Boar #372. Jim’s brushes have never let me down, and today’s lather production maintained the trend. Nancy Boy Signature shave cream is a pleasure to shave with. As a shaver who enjoys a great deal of variety, I find myself reaching for this spectacular cream every morning. As a confirmed menth head, I do own many menthol soaps from Cryogen to Snake Bite to Obsidian Glacial. None of the latter delivers the great post shave feel as Nancy Boy enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb which seems to build with each consecutive shave.

The MMCP was a pleasure to shave with. I’m hand it has the same heft as its predecessor and shaves every bit as well. I loaded a fresh Pella blade and had at it. I find the quality of shave indistinguishable from the MMOC. Two passes (WTG, ATG) reopened the baby’s room and delivered a perfect VBBS! My mug and noggin are velveteen smooth! I feel clean, cool, smooth and ready for Our Memorial Day Zoom with old friends.

RAZOR: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf (MMCP)
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE Gem
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #372
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD MAY 25 - May 31, 2020

Post by TRBeck »

Omega #10005 boar brush
Homemade lavender soap
Rockwell 6S DE on plate 5
Gillette Silver Blue day #2
Lucky Tiger a/s and tonic
CdG Vettiveru EDC spray
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

SOTD260520.jpg
SOTD260520.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
Friodur 7/8, Vulfix 2-band, homemade soap, Mr Taylor's Cologne
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream / Soap: Leftovers
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Polsilver
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Brut

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

AB2BA30E-6AC1-4F32-A896-998F4BDB0389.jpeg
AB2BA30E-6AC1-4F32-A896-998F4BDB0389.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4556 times
SOTD TUESDAY, MAY 26, 2020

My last Gem shave will be with my Featherweight. The razor was introduced in 1953 by the American Safety Razor corporation of Brooklyn, NY. And although 67 yrs old is in surprisingly good condition. I’ve never had a bad shave with this razor. The handle is approximately 80mm and it weigh in at 31.2 grams which is certainly on the lighter end of the spectrum, comparable to the aluminum RazoRock Blackhawk. Now those of you who’ve been reading my posts know that I prefer a heavier razor, but there is something about the Gem Featherweight that just works! It has a certain heft to it that feels good in the hand. Accepted wisdom with th Gems is to ride the cap, but I’ve never done so. I shave at approximately the same angle used with my injectors. And a, more than content with the shaves delivered.

The only software changes For today’s shave are the use of my recently arrived Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling Balm and the use of my MrEE Aluminum handled hybrid knot brush. I don’t know what it is about this Nancy Boy shave cream, but I just can’t stop using it. The lathers enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb are indescribably awesome. I may be becoming addicted! You owe it to yourself to read Manti59’s “5 4 3 2 1“ challenge on YouTube. He basically describes Nancy Boy as the best shave cream he’s ever used. The shave, as expected worked out to be a bloodless, two pass (WTG, ATG) VBSS. I feel clean, cool, smooth and refreshed. I apologize for the delay in posting this morning shave, but I was out and about all day with my Triumph Car Club.

RAZOR: Gem Featherweight
BLADE: Pella Gem SS PTFE
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handled Hybrid Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Nancy Boy Cooling Balm.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two razors for an experiment of comparing honing methods. Both TI Eagle 7/8, with homemade (Gardenia) soap, Grosvenor 2-band, Floris 89.
SOTD270520.jpg
SOTD270520.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

945F5E55-6DB8-4258-8EB8-1B4B99E3FB8F.jpeg
945F5E55-6DB8-4258-8EB8-1B4B99E3FB8F.jpeg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 4543 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY, May 27, 2020

I decided to shave with my E Type Injector this morning. I was gifted a G Type some months ago, but have always preferred my E Type’s shave. Software remained the same as yesterday. I think I may be becoming addicted to Nancy Boy Shave Cream. It’s definitely not the scent, but rather the consistently rich, slick glistening lather it produces. The 6 drops of M-Bomb don’t hurt by converting it into the best mentholated lather I have, and I own both soap and AS for Chiseled Face Cryogen, Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite, Stirling Glacial Obsidian and Lemon Chill, and Krampert’s Frostbite.

Back to the shave. I loaded an empty Schick Injector Magazine by hand with 7 Schick B-20 Proline blades which I then used to load the razor! Proline injector blades are great! I’ve used the AC counterparts in my AC razors as well, and they’ve never failed to deliver an excellent shave. The Viking Silvertip Badger generated sufficient lather for 6 passes, but I again only needed two (WTG, ATG) passes to put the baby to bed! Today’s shave easily achieved VBSS status and was so good that I think I’ll repeat it tomorrow with the G Type which I find to be a hair more efficient than my E Type. I feel clean, Velveteen smooth, cool and incredibly refreshed!

RAZOR: Schick E Type Injector
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling Balm.
Z-2

Post by Z-2 »

Razor : Gillette Super Speed (Z-2)
Blade : Gillette Platinum (4)
Shaving brush : Bevel badger
Shaving cream : Каро Sensitive
AS : Nivea Sensitive recovery balm
Lolita Haze: Do you always have to shave twice a day?
Humbert Humbert: Yes, of course, because all the best people shave twice a day (from the film Lolita (1962))
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Not dual-wielding, but experimenting with comparative honing! Two TI Eagle 6/8, homemade soap, Simpson 'The Colonel' 2-band, Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine:
SOTD280520.jpg
SOTD280520.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Arko
A/S: British Sterling
Cologne / Fragrance: Brut

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Soap: RazoRock XXX
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Gel, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Aspen

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3959612A-FE1B-42FE-8989-99FA00009375.jpeg
3959612A-FE1B-42FE-8989-99FA00009375.jpeg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 4520 times
SOTD THURSDAY, MAY 28, 2020

Today’s shave features a newly acquired SS Supply V2 razor. I traded one of my two Paul Revere International Silver Type L injectors for it. It came with three adjustable heads, a plastic injector blade magazine, and a stainless steel razor holder. I quickly discovered the fresh supply blade from the Supply Injector magazine was quite tuggy. I substituted a Schick B-20 Proline Blade. I then swapped out the two dot moderate head for the three dot aggressive after the first few strokes of my shave. I continued with the Nancy Boy Signature shave cream and Cooling Balm. The brush for today’s shave was my trusty Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush with the 24mm hybrid Badger/Boat knot ferrule.

The first few shaves with a new razor are generally part of what most wet shavers refer to as the “dialing in” process. In this case there really wasn’t much “dialing in” required. A friend who owns three versions of this razor stated that it didn’t shave like his other injector razors. That hasn’t been my experience. Shaving with the Supply felt quite similar to a shave with my E, G, or L Type injectors. And this shave went swimmingly well. I’m definitely not a fan of the Supply injector blades that came with the trade. I have thick ‘old man’ whiskers that didn’t do well with the latter blades. After my cold water rinse and lather application it was clear in the first few strokes that the average or two dot head was too mild and was cutting as closely as I like. The three dot “aggressive” head in conjunction with the Proline injector blade were just what the doctor ordered!

The Supply razor shaved beautifully mowing my whiskers right down to the skin line in the first WTG pass. I would equate the shave to that delivered by my R41, only without needing to attend to the shave process as I do with the Muhle razor. The second ATG pass really only consisted of some selected buffing in the usual problem areas. I must confess that I really like this razor. It shaved both mug and noggin effortlessly. It weighs in at approximately 105 grams, and is heavy enough that it feels like one is just sweeping the lather away. I really like this razor. My friend at TSD who enabled this acquisition through his gorgeous photography and rave reviews of his three versions of the razor can know that it’s not three strikes and out. It was a no go for the OneBlade and the Broman, both of which shaved well for him. I was never able to get a decent shave from either of the latter two razors, but the Supply V2 SS is an entirely different story, home run all the way.

Achieving a velveteen BBS with a brand new razor is quite rare for me. I’ll be shaving with this razor for the next few days! I just ordered an alloy version of the razor for my youngest son, Sam, currently recovering from Covid19. He is currently shaving with an E Type and enjoying it. I know he’ll like this razor. What’s even more impressive is that an alum check revealed no heat anywhere. I feel clean, velveteen smooth, cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: Supply V2 SS
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute Brush fitted with 24mm Hybrid Knot Ferrule
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling AS Gel.
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: Original Ikon Brass SBS

Blade: 1970 Gillette Platinum Plus (3)

IMG_1762.jpeg
IMG_1762.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4511 times
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Hard to give up on this kit this week

Omega 10005
Valobra stuck
Rockwelly 6S
Medical Prep
Lucky Tiger
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Soap: Leftovers
A/S: Brut Splash-on
Cologne / Fragrance: Burberry

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

4C9B587C-6823-44CB-97B6-055DCB5A38CB.jpeg
4C9B587C-6823-44CB-97B6-055DCB5A38CB.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4494 times
SOTD FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2020

My shave with this new-to-me SS Supply V2 razor yesterday checked all the boxes. While not enamored of the injector blades that arrived with the razor, one of my Schick Proline blades resolved that issue. I did notice that my stubble today seemed a bit longer?/rougher?. With that in mind, along with some inspiration from one of my FB friends, Russell, from down under, I decided to modify a Feather Super AC blade by cutting it down with my metal nipper to fit this razor. I was able to use a needle nose pliers to hold the modified blade against the three dot plate, since I couldn’t use the keyed magazine method with this very sharp blade as I screwed the plate into place.

The weight of this razor along with its heft feels great in the hand. Software is again the wonderful M-Bomb enhanced Nancy Boy Signature Shave cream and Gel AS. Since I’ve been using it, my skin feels great, both pre and post shave. My brush today is the first of three brushes I acquired from Jayaruh, #343. Jim Roe’s brushes all look great and function beautifully. This little synthetic has great backbone, while at the same time feels soft against your skin, like a well-broken-in Boar. A little almond sized amount of this spectacular cream whipped up a voluminous, thick, yogurty lather sufficient for 4 or 5 passes. The modified Feather Super buoyed by the weight of the razor easily swept away 95% of the stubble using short, pendular weightless strokes in that first WTG pass.

The blade was delightfully sharp and smooth as it did it’s work. So much so that it felt like it wasn’t even cutting until I rinsed the razor every few strokes and saw proof of its efficiency. Pass #2 (ATG), if you could call it that, really only consisted of some selective buffing in my two two regular problem areas, around my Adam’s Apple and the weird indentation/valley-like groove on the top of the back of my dome. Afterwards it was a smooth velveteen scene on both mug and noggin. This is an awesome shaver, and with this cut-down Feather Super almost magically supernatural. I feel cool, velveteen clean and refreshed with this amazing VBBS. Given how smooth the shave was, it’ll be interesting to compare tomorrow morning’s stubble to this morning’s.

RAZOR: Supply SS V2
BLADE: Modified Feather Super AC
Prep: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Synthetic #343
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature enhanced w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent AS Gel.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Another experiment (I think I have a solid conclusion, but ought to test on other razors). Two TI Eagle 6/8, homemade soap, Simpson 57 2-band, Woods of Windsor EdT:
SOTD290520.jpg
SOTD290520.jpg (127.87 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Probably the last day of experimentation. Two TI Eagle 7/8, homemade soap, Simpson Chubby 2, L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu:
SOTD300520.jpg
SOTD300520.jpg (135.56 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

A584ACAA-68A7-447C-8DF6-7F9BD24173F0.jpeg
A584ACAA-68A7-447C-8DF6-7F9BD24173F0.jpeg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 4438 times
SOTD SATURDAY, MAY 30, 2020

It’s clear to me why this Supply razor is so popular. First off is it’s adjustability via the three plates. Secondly, the industrial design of the razor is visually beautiful and the weight is perfect. I understand the alloy version is a bit lighter, but still much heavier than most vintage razors. But thirdly, and most importantly, it just works. The shave angle is intuitive making it a joy to shave with. Any experienced wet shaver can pick up this razor and be shaving with it almost immediately. If you check the threads about this razor, most of the discussion from users relates to blade and blade type. Please don’t take offense, those of you out there with a particular blade preference, but I own a variety of vintage injectors. After cycling through the the ‘Chicks’ (Chinese Schicks), Pella (relabeled Personnas, Personnas, Twinjectors, ‘74s’, vintage whatevers, and Japanese Schick B-20 Proline, I settled on Proline blades which happened to be the same blades I enjoyed with my AC razors. That is until I discovered Feather Supers. The only issue these blades suffer from is longevity. I’ve had up to 28 shaves with an AC Proline blade before it begins to tug. My AC Feather Supers never lasted more than 4 or 5 shaves at best. With my Proline Injectors I’ve had up to 15 shaves on a single blade before it started looking tea stained. The jury is still out on the modified Feather Super in my Supply razor. Today was my second shave on the cut-down Feather Super AC blade. All went swimmingly well.

My 26mm Boar knot finally arrived two days ago from China. I cleaned it up, epoxied it to the ferrule and then attached it to the Alpha Shaving Tribute brush handle. Despite soaking it in conditioner, it still was relatively ‘Scritchy’. That should smooth out with continued use. After enjoying Nancy Boy shaving cream and AS Gel for the last week or so, I selected Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Soap and AS Splash, a very pleasantly mentholated combination. Three drops of M-Bomb brought the soap to the appropriate level of mentholation. After my preparatory Cold water rinse, the shave began. I enjoy face and dome lathering a great deal with Boar brushes, but not with a new knot. Bowl lathering worked well with the new knot which did demonstrate the expected ‘scritchiness’ of a new Boar knot on my shave surfaces. The lather proved to be nicely thick, shiny and yogurty in texture, although not as slick as the Nancy Boy lathers. The shave, as mentioned earlier, was spectacular with the exception of the soap not measuring up to its predecessor in the slickness dept. Two slow pleasant passes (WTG, ATG) transformed your humble narrator from ‘Sammy Stubble’ to ‘Velveteen Greene’ as this excellent safety razor once again delivered me to VBBS land. I feel cool, clean, velveteen smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Supply Polished SS V2
BLADE: Modified Feather Super AC Blade (2)
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
SOAP: Fine Accoutrements’s Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Snake Bite AS Splash.