SOTD June 22 - June 28

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

SOTD June 22 - June 28

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD Posts
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: SOTD June 22 - June 29

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two TI Evide Sonnants, one honed on the blackArk, one on the transArk, homemade soap, Waterford Crystal brush, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet:

SOTD220620.jpg
SOTD220620.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

Vulfix Wild Lavender cream
Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Pinaud Brandy Spice aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Torga C5 boar
Homemade lav-orange
Rockwell 6S on plate 5
Voskhod blade shave 1
Lucky Tiger aftershave

The blade sucks. I got a 5-pack free with something. Not impressed.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We have a winner - the black Arkansas becomes the final stone. TI Evide Sonnant, homemade soap, Shavemac prototype D01, L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh:

SOTD230620.jpg
SOTD230620.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

8290BA8D-DB52-4348-97EE-DB2526E91646.jpeg
8290BA8D-DB52-4348-97EE-DB2526E91646.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 3998 times
SOTD TUESDAY, JUNE 23, 2020

Well here we are at straight razor shave #4 or about #7 if we take into account the debacle of 5 yrs or so ago. One thing remains clear, “I STILL HATE STROPPING!”, it seems like too much trouble when I can just pick up one of my 17 chosen safety razors (10 SEs, 7 DEs), drop in a blade, and knock out a perfect VBBS. I have learned to channel my discomfort, however, after reading how one of my two Long Island Joe shave brothers (both accomplished straight razor aficionados) prepares for a straight shave. He strops at night!!!

One of the issues those of us with more solar rotations under our belts than we care to think about suffer from is poor sleep! I used to sleep 7 to 8 hrs a night. Now I‘m lucky to eke out 4 or at best 5 hrs. No more, it seems. Last night, before retiring, I sleepily stropped the old Dovo 50 to 60 times. For whatever reason, I slept 7 hours straight! Who needs Ambien! I’ve got stropping! Thank you, Joe (@Trigger), Your offhand comment may have cured my insomnia!

This morning’s Mug straight razor shave proceeded pretty much as the preceding ones, very slow and steady as I attempt to learn proper handling technique. The two (WTG, ATG) passes took a bit less time, but I still haven’t worked up the courage to attempt XTG yet. That approach is what led to my temporary resemblance to Al Pacino in Scarface about 5 yrs ago. Tomorrow will be my first three pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) straight razor face shave. At least I know I’ll sleep well tonight! My wonderful Colonial Silversmith cleaned up my mug and mowed my noggin stubble down right to the skin line floating on its thick, cool, slick cushion of M-Bombed Nancy Boy shave cream. I feel cool, refreshed, clean and velveteen (VBBS).

RAZOR: Dovo Special (mug) Colonial Silversmith (noggin)
BLADE: Sharp Star (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: MrEE Aluminum Handled Hybrid Knot #007
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Loeffler & Sykes 6/8, homemade soap, Apothecary Shop brush, Trumper’s Milk of Flowers:

SOTD230620.jpg
SOTD230620.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

4AF317F4-5174-4FBE-B3BB-79BB630927B8.jpeg
4AF317F4-5174-4FBE-B3BB-79BB630927B8.jpeg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 3964 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY, JUNE 24, 2020

Today was the day for my first three pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) mug shave, and things went decently. There was one minor weep on my neck totally attributable to user error. I failed to stretch my neck skin adequately and felt the irritation leading to the minor weep. I’m having Some difficulty trimming both beard and sideburn lines. I’m still not enjoying this straight shaving process which feels needlessly primitive. It takes a long time, and I'm definitely not enjoying the face shave the way I usually do.

The faithful FrankenFamex was still required to clean up the facial stubble in spots and get to the level of smoothness I seek for both face and head shaves. I’m hoping that eventually I’ll begin to enjoy the process of straight shaving. The maintenance associated with this method just seems tedious to me. My dome shave was a joy in comparison. I was relaxed and able to enjoy the cooling lather as this French-American hybrid safety razor sang the buttering toast song through the one and 1/2 passes to deliver me to VBBS land. I feel cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Face). FrankenFamex (Head)
BLADE: Sharp Star (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Synthetic
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: T&H Rose
Razor: '62 H2 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Afta Fresh
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Cream: Green Pond Sandalwood
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Robert Williams Purist, homemade soap, Olde Apothecary Shop brush, Trumper's Eau de Quinine:

SOTD240620.jpg
SOTD240620.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B7FF1584-BD8A-444C-BF29-5B1CABA231A3.jpeg
B7FF1584-BD8A-444C-BF29-5B1CABA231A3.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
SOTD THURSDAY, JUNE 25, 2020

Stropping at night has done wonders for my sleep, but is so unpleasant! But unfortunately, it is necessary. It’s just so much easier to drop a fresh blade into a safety razor. Anyway, after strapping a 3 lb weight to each forearm I launched into my face shave this morning . The Dovo no longer feels as alien in hand as it did a week ago. Straight shaving my face is no longer as tentative as it was, but still does not come close to the closeness I’ve come to expect from the 17 safety razors in my regular rotation. Today’s two pass (WTG, ATG) face shave was the best yet, but still required cleanup with my Eclipse Red Ring. I still don’t get the attraction so many of you have to this approach to shaving. But I get it, different strokes for different folks.

The easiest way to get through my straight shave each day is looking forward to the upcoming mug cleanup and dome shave that mark one more day towards my goal of being able to finally put the Dovo Special away in victory, and finally return to just safety razor shaving. The Eclipse Red Ring (ERR) is an adjustable highly efficient safety razor. It has never failed to deliver a superb velveteen BBS (VBBS), and this morning was no different. After cleaning up my beard lines and shearing away the remaining stubble around my Adam’s Apple, I launched into my usual two pass (WTG, ATG) noggin shave. The razor’s baseplate design was unique for its time, and has been appropriated by Classic Shaving’s Occam’s DE in the design for the aggressive plate for the latter razor. Using the ERR this morning was a joy that again delivered your smiling narrator to that cool, clean, refreshing velveteen BBS zone.

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug). Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse and Chel Cooling Gel as a Preshave
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #372
pausted

Post by pausted »

Talbot Shaving soap
Omega 80097 boar brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Pinaud Brandy Spice aftershave

It’s hard to beat a well broken in boar brush. Outstanding shave!
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E729A277-EBFB-4C77-BB28-FF77855E7236.jpeg
E729A277-EBFB-4C77-BB28-FF77855E7236.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3909 times
SOTD WOOL FAT FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 2020

Welcome to Wool Fat Friday. I'd like to begin by offering a heartfelt apology to all of my straight razor shaving brothers out there in shave land. Yesterday I received a message from one of my shave friends from an Australian online shave forum I'm a member of. It was quite straightforward. I quote, “Mate, since you picked up the Dovo, you’ve started sounding like a whiny %*&#$(c-word)”. After rereading those posts, he’s right. I in no way meant to put down your shaving practice. There will be no repeat of that tone in my posts from this point forward. Please accept my apologies for any unintended insults! I guess I was masking my own anxiety about reentering open edge shaving after my 5 year hiatus. At my age I should know better.

Back to this morning’s shave! Use of the Dovo Special is improving day by day. Today’s three pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) face shave felt more comfortable, although I'm still struggling with proper holding technique for my XTG and ATG passes. Any recommendations from you more accomplished open edge shavers would be welcome. My WTG pass was uneventful as I’ve become more comfortable In using both hands. There were two set down errors resulting in minor nicks one for each of the next two passes on my right non-dominant side. Proraso styptic gel took care of them. Is there a video showing the best way to hold the razor for XTG and ATG strokes?

Classic Shaving has a reputation as a safety razor design innovator. They offered up the Cobra Classic as the first or one of the first successful AC safety razor designs followed by the Oren, Enoch and Hiram, all named after the owner’s sons. The Occam’s DE was another one of their innovative offerings. Crafted from molten SS through a MIM process instead of CNC, allowed them to offer the razor at an unbelievable price point for a 316L SS razor, around $60 for three baseplates and two top caps. Unfortunately, due to its amazing shaving reputation, the razor is no longer available.

What I like about it is the aggressive baseplate which is remarkably similar to the Eclipse Red Ring’s, and which delivers a shave every bit as good as the latter. The software for today’s shave was my old stalwart, MWF, which my Viking Silvertip Badger whipped up into the thick, protective, and slick lather it’s famous for. The Occam’s easily cleaned up the remaining stubble on my mug, and mowed through my noggin stubble in two slow, relaxing passes (WTG, ATG) with just as much ease. I feel refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen, happily returned to VBBS land.

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug), Occam’s DE (Noggin)
BLADE: Sharp Star (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse and Chel Cooling Gel as a Preshave
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Chel Cooling Gel as an AS Balm.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

jgreenepa wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:05 am Classic Shaving has a reputation as a safety razor design innovator. They offered up the Cobra Classic as the first or one of the first successful AC safety razor designs followed by the Oren, Enoch and Hiram, all named after the owner’s sons.
Was Cobra the dad? Might fit what I've heard about the dealings with some suppliers. I doubt it's any better with Luke Webster in charge. Ray Dupont was a good guy, and it's a damn shame what has happened to his creation since he left us.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Cream: Trumper Coconut
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless
Cologne / Fragrance: Tabac

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

W&B wedge, homemade soap, Rooney finest, Floris No.127:

SOTD260620.jpg
SOTD260620.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:22 am Robert Williams Purist, homemade soap, Olde Apothecary Shop brush, Trumper's Eau de Quinine:

SOTD240620.jpg
That Trumper's new Milk of Flowers cologne you've have, how do you reckon it smells like? Funnily enough actually, because very recently I got very lucky when I through sheer luck stumbled across a pristine -- at least from what I were able to discern by the pictures provided -- 100ml bottle of Trumper's oldand nowadays long gone Milk of Flowers in it's original aftershave version!
I apologize for my uncanny boastfulness but I just couldn't resist the urge to share my beautiful discovery here for all you guys here at the, withabout, best shaving board on the internet! Here's a picture of the bottle anyway if anyone are interested, I'm still waiting for the bottle to make it's way and arrive in Sweden after it's journey from the Netherlands.

online file hosting
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

That looks great - congratulations! I never smelled the 'old stuff' and did not know it had been changed. The stuff I have, bought around ten years ago at a guess, is exactly the drydown of Eau de Quinine. In fact, I'm sure that to make EdQ, they just add a few drops of quinine to a bottle of Milk of Flowers and call it good. Sweet and powdery, just like a paper bag from the sweet shop full of sugared almonds.

sugared almonds.jpg
sugared almonds.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:27 am
jgreenepa wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:05 am Classic Shaving has a reputation as a safety razor design innovator. They offered up the Cobra Classic as the first or one of the first successful AC safety razor designs followed by the Oren, Enoch and Hiram, all named after the owner’s sons.
Was Cobra the dad? Might fit what I've heard about the dealings with some suppliers. I doubt it's any better with Luke Webster in charge. Ray Dupont was a good guy, and it's a damn shame what has happened to his creation since he left us.
Don’t know! I've only dealt with Luke and have had nothing but positive experiences with him. I do know that the Mongoose AC SE was named in the spirit of mongooses being Cobra killers.