SOTD June 22 - June 28

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD June 22 - June 29

Post by jgreenepa »

C1516BEE-0517-41A7-BB31-7423CE6F409C.jpeg
C1516BEE-0517-41A7-BB31-7423CE6F409C.jpeg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
SOTD SATURDAY, JUNE 27, 2020

Continuing progress on the straight razor front continues. I still have not progressed beyond the CCS, but my strokes are more comfortable, and I find myself Using skin stretches with my safety razors. Two passes (WTG, ATG) reduced the facial whiskers somewhat unevenly, requiring some cleanup buffing. The Occam’s DE was happy to oblige, and cleaned up the remaining stubble around the Adam’s Apple. I’d forgotten how sharp and smooth Suneko blades are. They compare quite favorably to the Sharp Star I finished with yesterday in this razor. I'm working on my ATG pass with the Dovo, but still need some work.

The rest of the shave was very pleasant, although uneventful. MWF, my stalwart soap, again delivered the goods. The longer handle on this Jayaruh brush works well for me, particularly when lathering the back of the dome. I realized that while the heft in hand differs from the Eclipse Red Ring, the shave was every bit as close and efficient. The only difference is the lack of adjustability. But this is still one great razor. Removing the 3 lb weights from my forearms does make it seem lighter. Both noggin passes (WTG, ATG) mowed down the 24 hr stubble nicely. I feel refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen (VBBS)! Great shave!

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug) Occam’s DE Aggressive Plate (Noggin)
BLADE: Suneko (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse and Chel Cooling Gel as Preshave
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel Abalone, homemade soap, SMF 2005 brush, Trumper's Eucris:

SOTD270620.jpg
SOTD270620.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: Ikon Long Handled Solid Bar HP

Blade: Personna SPC (6)
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2175.jpeg (946.88 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

5DE0E86F-AF56-4DC1-999A-5FE590916F3A.jpeg
5DE0E86F-AF56-4DC1-999A-5FE590916F3A.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 2371 times
The attachment 5DE0E86F-AF56-4DC1-999A-5FE590916F3A.jpeg is no longer available
SOTD SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2020

Hubris towards the shave Gods was the theme that unfortunately governed this morning’s shave. I guess I was feeling kind of cocky! Yesterday’s shave generated a lot of supportive comments from many of my straight shaving friends. Well, I thought, intrepid, disabled yet innovative shave adventurer that you are, you don't need no stinkin’ 3 lb forearm weights. Guess what! I sure do. Starting with my dominant left side I picked up my Dovo and ended up with a tremor induced nick on my upper left cheek and then stupidly repeated the nick with my non-dominant right arm on my right cheek.

Fortunately, neither was serious. Chastised by the Shave Gods, I put the Dovo down, and proceeded to strap on my forearm weights and pick up the Dovo. My intention was to address the nicks which were each streaming a thin line of blood down each cheek, just as dear SWMBO decided to enter. She took one look at me, shook her head, muttered “idiot, I told him” and about faced out the door. Today is my youngest grandson’s birthday. My punishment for hubris will be the “I told you so” lecture I’ll have to sit through on the 30 minute ride to my son’s house.

Back to the shave! The shave was otherwise great following the brief hiccup described above. The two pass (WTG, ATG) mug straight shave again left me at the CCS level, which my Valet Auto Strop (VAD) VC1 cleaned up nicely bringing me to the VBBS smoothness level expected. The dome shave was the usual two pass (WTG, ATG) excellent shave. I’m seriously wondering whether it’s physically possible to nick myself with one of my five VAS razors.

Inspired by our supreme gadgeteer and razor builder, Evan (@MrEE), I plan to begin stropping my Feather FHS-10 blades. It should prove to be an interesting experiment. Hopefully, stropping two blades won’t put me in a coma! I feel cool, clean and velveteen, which should help on the 30 minute ride to my grandson’s. Yeesh!!

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug) Valet Auto Strop VC1
BLADE: Feather FHS-10
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 w/ 24mm Hybrid Knot Ferrule
PREP: Cold water rinse and Chel Cooling Gel as a Preshave
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Krampert’s Frostbite.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:36 am That looks great - congratulations! I never smelled the 'old stuff' and did not know it had been changed. The stuff I have, bought around ten years ago at a guess, is exactly the drydown of Eau de Quinine. In fact, I'm sure that to make EdQ, they just add a few drops of quinine to a bottle of Milk of Flowers and call it good. Sweet and powdery, just like a paper bag from the sweet shop full of sugared almonds.

sugared almonds.jpg
I'm looking forward to it, as far as I know the aftershave was quite light and similar to Harris's Pink aftershave. I bet the smell to be pretty similar to the current stuff as well, Ill report back on here when I receive it. I bought it from this Dutch shaving shop, I don't know if they still have it in stock or if they ship to the US.

https://www.dutchshavingshop.nl/product ... ge-but-new
Olle
CMur12

Re: SOTD June 22 - June 28

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Tíz (excellent blade from Iran)

Brush: Semogue 2015 (Silvertip. My first Semogue, from 2008)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel

- Murray