SOTD June 29 - July 5

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
drmoss_ca
Admin

SOTD June 29 - July 5

Post by drmoss_ca »

Zowada damascus mammoth ivory, homemade soap, SMF brush 2006, Trumper's Wellington:

SOTD290620.jpg
SOTD290620.jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Re: SOTD June 29 - July 5

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Williams
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless
A/S: British Sterling
Cologne / Fragrance: Aspen

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3AF124EC-BACE-428A-A449-82C273B4DBF7.jpeg
3AF124EC-BACE-428A-A449-82C273B4DBF7.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 4017 times
SOTD MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2020

My shave today was spectacular due most likely to my blood offering as propitiation to the Shave Gods yesterday. Either that, or caution prevailed today. It appears that I’m just beginning to get the hang of this edge forward shaving business.

After my shower and cold water rinse, I lathered up with my enhanced Nancy Boy Signature shave cream using one of my favorite Boars, the Jayaruh Custom #374. Next I strapped onto each forearm its respective tremor reduction gear (SWMBO’s 3 lb ankle weights).

Thus accoutered, with Dovo Special in hand, the mug shave proceeded through two passes (WTG, ATG) with some selective buffing around the Adam’s Apple with the newly achieved Kamisori grip to place your very pleased narrator squarely in DFS territory. In order to avoid irritation I elected to move on to the Dome shave.

The Colonial Silversmith, my favorite modern artisan shaver, equipped with a Sharp Star on its second and final run sheared through the dome stubble right down to the skin line on that first WTG pass. The second and final ATG pass launched your ecstatic narrator firmly into VBBS territory. The noggin feels refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dovo Special (Mug), Colonial Silversmith (Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #374
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Soap: Williams + Leftovers
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Havana

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel mammoth, Homemade soap, Simpson Chubby 2, Trumper's Curzon:

SOTD300620.jpg
SOTD300620.jpg (96.76 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6510F96A-80B5-49FA-AC7C-E96EF0FE2691.jpeg
6510F96A-80B5-49FA-AC7C-E96EF0FE2691.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 3991 times
SOTD TUESDAY, JUNE 30, 2020

June of this year marks my reentry into straight razor shaving after almost a 5 year hiatus. Today’s shave was excellent. Handling my face shave with the Dovo has improved markedly, and for my dome shave I selected a spectacular little shaver, my Ronson Safety Razor.

I’d hesitated in acquiring this particular safety razor because of the reported blade issues. That is until one of my FB forum shave brothers shared his solution to the blade issue. His solution was to use an injector blade on one side and a corresponding injector blank from a blade magazine on the other. While a bit fiddly to set up, once done, the little razor shaves like a dream.

After my shower and cold water rinse, I loaded my 24mm Tuxedo synth knot ferrule onto the T-400 handle and whipped up an amazing amount of thick, slick and enhanced Nancy Boy lather. It felt delightfully cool. The Dovo Special made short work of my facial whiskers returning me to yesterday’s DFS shave level.. Rather than push things.

What I really love about the little Ronson is its weight, 76 grams, most of which resides in the head. What I most like about this little lady, is that I can hold it by the tip of the handle allowing the weight of the head to do all the work. Loaded with a Schick B-20 Proline blade, Madame Ronson shaved like a dream and delivered me directly to VBBS land in two (WTG, ATG) relaxed passes. I feel cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dove Special (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Noggin)
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 w/ 24mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Zowada damascus buffalo horn, homemade soap, SMF brush 2007, Trumper's Spanish Leather:

SOTD010720.jpg
SOTD010720.jpg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

FE1FA510-8B58-4A48-8866-917CCF2BE121_1_201_a.jpeg
FE1FA510-8B58-4A48-8866-917CCF2BE121_1_201_a.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3958 times
SOTD TUESDAY, JULY 1, 2020

My first shave for July also featured my first outing with the Feather SS Barber's razor. Both the Feather SS and DX models use AC blades. For todays shave I loaded a Feather Super blade which I also use in my AC safety razors. The weight and heft differ from the Dovo as does the seeming cutting power. I found the Feather razor to be much sharper than the Dovo. What I also really like about these two SS razors my son gifted me is that there is none of the stropping/honing type maintenance required. All I need do is drop in a fresh blade and I'm off to the races for at least five to seven shaves. So it is in essence, a no-comb (either solid or open) blade replaceable straight razor. Now the Kamisori SS that was part of the package is going up on the shelf for now. According to my son, it's the same blade holder attached to a straight handle. When he upgraded it was to the DX Kamisori. That is his preferred straight razor. I may give it a go later this month, but for now I'll be shaving my Mug with both the Feather and the Dovo. For the dome shave I have returned to my trusty Schick Krona, although the model I shaved with for 50 years wasn't the Gold Centennial Edition razor I shaved with today. I selected one of my vanishing Sharp Stars for the Krona.

The theme at TSD this month is "Shave like an Emperor". In the spirit of Imperial Shaving I'll be limiting my shave soaps (MWF, Nuavia Pannacrema Blu, and Haslinger Schafmilch) to areas formerly occupied by the Roman Empire (England, Italy, and Gaul). My justification for continuing to use my beloved Nancy Boy Shave Cream is that it's just the best shave cream on the planet and thus qualifies for the Imperial label. The brush selected, my Omega Pro48 Boar is of Italian manufacture and thus qualifies as well, besides being my favorite Boar brush. Given that this was my first run with the new-to-me Feather SS razor, I debated whether I should limit its use to a single WTG pass. It did not feel like the Dovo, but it did shave beautifully. So after that first pass I began my second ATG pass and experienced a very minor set-down error as I began my non-dominant right cheek. Since it was minor I finished the pass which resulted in a thin stream of blood trailing down the cheek. Of course, this was when dear SWMBO came breezing in, took one look at me, and sweetly inquired why a tremor-ridden person would purposely choose to shave with a non-safety razor? I just smiled and winked at her. Her response was one we're probably all familiar with, "MEN!!!" I settled for a very close DFS. Ce qui sera sera!

Shaving the noggin with the Gold Centennial Krona was like putting on an extremely comfortable pair of old shoes! It just felt right! I guess it should after 50 years of Schick Krona shaving. My body went into automatic mode. After whipping up a thick, slick Nancy Boy lather and applying it to the dome, I had at it. The shave felt surprisingly good. I remember thinking that I never was able to get as close a shave as I do now with my other razors. I don't believe it's this particular NOS model. It launched into its own version of the 'buttering toast' song as it sheared away my stubble. In fact that first pass was remarkably close. I guess I may not have focused on my technique the way I do nowadays. In those pre-retirement days I was generally prepping for a meeting or looking to complete what I then considered a daily, not-so-pleasant maintenance task. In any case, that first WTG pass pretty much obliterated yesterday's stubble. The second ATG pass consisted of nothing more than some selected buffing. As I was shaving with it I was surprised at the closeness of that first pass. I guess I've just gotten better at this shaving business. To conclude, what I ended up with was a lovely, relaxed shave which reached the DFS+++ overall. I feel cool, clean, and my scalp is velveteen!

RAZOR: Feather SS Razor (Mug), Schick Centennial Gold Krona (Noggin)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Sharp Star DE (Noggin)
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Royall Lyme AS. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel.
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

FE1FA510-8B58-4A48-8866-917CCF2BE121_1_201_a.jpeg
SOTD TUESDAY, JULY 1, 2020

My first shave for July also featured my first outing with the Feather SS Barber's razor. Both the Feather SS and DX models use AC blades. For todays shave I loaded a Feather Super blade which I also use in my AC safety razors. The weight and heft differ from the Dovo as does the seeming cutting power. I found the Feather razor to be much sharper than the Dovo. What I also really like about these two SS razors my son gifted me is that there is none of the stropping/honing type maintenance required. All I need do is drop in a fresh blade and I'm off to the races for at least five to seven shaves. So it is in essence, a no-comb (either solid or open) blade replaceable straight razor. Now the Kamisori SS that was part of the package is going up on the shelf for now. According to my son, it's the same blade holder attached to a straight handle. When he upgraded it was to the DX Kamisori. That is his preferred straight razor. I may give it a go later this month, but for now I'll be shaving my Mug with both the Feather and the Dovo. For the dome shave I have returned to my trusty Schick Krona, although the model I shaved with for 50 years wasn't the Gold Centennial Edition razor I shaved with today. I selected one of my vanishing Sharp Stars for the Krona.

The theme at TSD this month is "Shave like an Emperor". In the spirit of Imperial Shaving I'll be limiting my shave soaps (MWF, Nuavia Pannacrema Blu, and Haslinger Schafmilch) to areas formerly occupied by the Roman Empire (England, Italy, and Gaul). My justification for continuing to use my beloved Nancy Boy Shave Cream is that it's just the best shave cream on the planet and thus qualifies for the Imperial label. The brush selected, my Omega Pro48 Boar is of Italian manufacture and thus qualifies as well, besides being my favorite Boar brush. Given that this was my first run with the new-to-me Feather SS razor, I debated whether I should limit its use to a single WTG pass. It did not feel like the Dovo, but it did shave beautifully. So after that first pass I began my second ATG pass and experienced a very minor set-down error as I began my non-dominant right cheek. Since it was minor I finished the pass which resulted in a thin stream of blood trailing down the cheek. Of course, this was when dear SWMBO came breezing in, took one look at me, and sweetly inquired why a tremor-ridden person would purposely choose to shave with a non-safety razor? I just smiled and winked at her. Her response was one we're probably all familiar with, "MEN!!!" I settled for a very close DFS. Ce qui sera sera!

Shaving the noggin with the Gold Centennial Krona was like putting on an extremely comfortable pair of old shoes! It just felt right! I guess it should after 50 years of Schick Krona shaving. My body went into automatic mode. After whipping up a thick, slick Nancy Boy lather and applying it to the dome, I had at it. The shave felt surprisingly good. I remember thinking that I never was able to get as close a shave as I do now with my other razors. I don't believe it's this particular NOS model. It launched into its own version of the 'buttering toast' song as it sheared away my stubble. In fact that first pass was remarkably close. I guess I may not have focused on my technique the way I do nowadays. In those pre-retirement days I was generally prepping for a meeting or looking to complete what I then considered a daily, not-so-pleasant maintenance task. In any case, that first WTG pass pretty much obliterated yesterday's stubble. The second ATG pass consisted of nothing more than some selected buffing. As I was shaving with it I was surprised at the closeness of that first pass. I guess I've just gotten better at this shaving business. To conclude, what I ended up with was a lovely, relaxed shave which reached the DFS+++ overall. I feel cool, clean, and my scalp is velveteen!

RAZOR: Feather SS Razor (Mug), Schick Centennial Gold Krona (Noggin)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Sharp Star DE (Noggin)
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Royall Lyme AS. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel.
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

03B6354B-BE8A-4BAD-8D72-6EB270AD2CEF.jpeg
03B6354B-BE8A-4BAD-8D72-6EB270AD2CEF.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3946 times
SOTD THURSDAY, JULY 2, 2020

Another great Imperial shave with the requisite tools and software. Rose a bit earlier than usual this morning to shave at 5 AM. C.O. Bigelow and Pre de Provence featured centrally as Imperial software selections, as Proraso makes the first (Italian) and second is sourced from Gaul/Aquitaine former Roman provinces. Osage Rub is designed for that delightful cooling postshave feel.

Using the 1 lb Rearden Razor brush with a 3 lb weight strapped to my left forearm was a bit of a workout, but nevertheless with an excellent result. The C.O. Bigelow enhanced shave cream provided an exquisite cooling, slick mug and dome blanket. blanket. The Feather SS Barber’s razor made short work with the enclosed Feather Super blade of my facial stubble in the first WTG pass. Some follow-on ATG and XTG buffing finished the job leaving me with a very comfortable DFS++.

The dome shave was a delight with the Rex Ambassador. Since I entered the hallowed halls of straight shaving last month, I opened up the Rex to 6 hoping that what I’ve learned would stand me in good stead, and it did. Riding the cap led to another two pass (WTG, ATG) VBBS for the noggin with only one slight nick on the back of my neck, a set-down error quickly put to rest with Proraso styptic gel. And yes, my shave brothers and sisters, I was left feeling cool, clean and oh-so-velveteen!

RAZOR: Feather SS (Mug) Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather AC Super (4), Sharp Star DE (2)
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Synth
CREAM: C.O. Bigelow w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap and Osage Rub. Finished with Pre de Provence Balm.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Soap: Williams + Leftovers
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Havana

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis New West

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel antler, homemade soap, Rooney beehive, Trumper's Curzon:

SOTD020720.jpg
SOTD020720.jpg (108.09 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: IKon S3S

Razor Blade: Personna Super Platinum Chrome (10)
IMG_2232.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg (953.41 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

5BDAD170-9301-42FA-8FD1-0BA51A33D55E.jpeg
5BDAD170-9301-42FA-8FD1-0BA51A33D55E.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 3921 times
SOTD FRIDAY, JULY 3, 2020

Happy July 4th Weekend to all my shave brothers and sisters. Stay safe and healthy! Well today marked my first Feather SS Kamisori shave with the Feather AC Kamisori shavette razor gifted to me by my son. It’s been quite hot and muggy here in southeast PA lately. So I decided on a frigid shave, and pulled out the big menthol guns. Osage Rub and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite were the perfect close to my M-Bombed TOOBS Peppermint shave cream. Let’s just say it was a highly cooling experience and far superior to my Cryogen outings. I'm still cool an hour and a half after the shave.

I usually shave with a Feather Super in my three AC safety razors with great success. When my son gifted me his two Feather SS razors, I had my first two shaves with the folding model using a Feather Super since that shavette best resembled my Dovo Special straight razor. Those first two shaves with the Feather SS AC shavette went well despite some minor set-down errors on yours truly’s part. The Feather Super is incredibly sharp, and as a result quite unforgiving of minor lapses in technique. Recognizing this, my son gave me some Kai Mild Pink AC blades for my learning process.

An almond sized blob of the enhanced TOOBS Peppermint shave cream whipped up a decent, respectable, slick lather. Although not approaching the lather quality of MWF or Nancy Boy, it did the job. While the Kai AC blade was not as sharp as the Feather Super it still delivered a DFS quality two pass (WTG, ATG) bloodless mug shave. I actually enjoyed the face shave this time far more than I have with the Dovo Special or Feather SS folding shavette. The hold felt more comfortable to me over the traditional three finger folding straight razor hold. I really was able to relax and enjoy, instead of being apprehensive about the shave process. That will probably pass with more experience with the Dovo traditional straight razor.

The dome shave went exactly as expected. Why wouldn’t it? The Blackland Vector loaded with a Feather Super obliterated 95% of the stubble in that first WTG pass. The second ATG pass put the baby to bed. What was really cool, however, was that there was no need for cleanup of my face shave. I’ve been using my dome razors for facial stubble buffing since I returned to open edge shaving, but there was really no need this time! That little Feather Kamisori SS did the trick. My face shave was much closer than it’s ever been with the traditional folding straights I’ve used. In fact, on further assessment, while it wouldn't pass the cotton ball test, it was a definite DFS+++. Alum revealed very slight warmth around the Adam’s Apple. I feel frozen, but still clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Feather SS Kamisori (Mug), Blackland Vector (Noggin)
BLADE: Kai Mild Pink AC (Mug), Feather Super AC (Noggin)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Boar Ferrule
CREAM: TOOBS Peppermint w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Zowada damascus lacewood, homemade soap, Shavemac 28mm custom brush, Taylor's No.74 Victorian Limes:

SOTD030720.jpg
SOTD030720.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS Peppermint cream
Semogue Mistura Taj Resin brush
Colonial General razor
Feather Pro blade
Osage Rub

The new brush was a Father’s Day gift. Excellent brush!
Osage Rub is the perfect aftershave in this hot weather.
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1470 boar bristle
Valobra hard shave "stuck"
Rockwell 6S DE on plate 5
Personna Medical Prep #5
Lucky Tiger Splash & Tonic
Guerlain Homme Boisee
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel briarwood, homemade soap, custom Shavemac 30mm brush, Penhaligon's Douro:

SOTD040720.jpg
SOTD040720.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6C5051F0-18F4-4506-A273-4A0DC11368BA.jpeg
6C5051F0-18F4-4506-A273-4A0DC11368BA.jpeg (1005.95 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
SOTD SATURDAY, JULY 4, 2020

Happy 4th of July to all. Family's coming over for a barbecue and a swim. Expecting 17, so I’ll be keeping it short today. My Kamisori skills are improving. The LaResche 51 is a terrific razor. I really should shave with it more. VBBS on the dome and a DFS+ on the mug. A friend on another forum recommended the HiShave Moist Gel for the Kamisori and it made a difference. Face feels great after using it, and it really softened up the stubble so much that I felt I was brushing it off my face. Great stuff, the only downside is that it is not brush friendly. So that’s that. Cool, clean and velveteen, baby! Who could ask for more!

RAZOR: Feather Kamisori SS (Mug), LaResche 51 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC, Suneko DE
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #374
CREAM: Feather HiShave Moist Gel (Mug), Proraso Green (Dome)
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub.