What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
primotenore

Re: What are you reading?

Post by primotenore »

iu.jpg
iu.jpg (308.94 KiB) Viewed 9014 times
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

Sorry the above picture is so large. It shocked me too. :oops:
~~~~~
Primo

brothers

Post by brothers »

I read The Revenant and enjoyed it so much I also watched the movie, for whatever that's worth. Good book!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Rufus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:11 pm Well, I like Buchan too, and one of my favourite authors is Rudyard Kipling. I especially like Kipling’s ‘Kim’, which I’ve read at least three times. Call me old fashioned, but I did grow up in the outer reaches of the Empire.
The outer reaches of the Empire? Sometimes it feels like I still live there. Not quite Tatooine, maybe more like Hoth.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:44 am
Rufus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:11 pm Well, I like Buchan too, and one of my favourite authors is Rudyard Kipling. I especially like Kipling’s ‘Kim’, which I’ve read at least three times. Call me old fashioned, but I did grow up in the outer reaches of the Empire.
The outer reaches of the Empire? Sometimes it feels like I still live there. Not quite Tatooine, maybe more like Hoth.
For me it was Hong Kong, Bombay, Johannesburg, Bulawayo before settling in Canada.
Bryan
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

brothers wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 am I read The Revenant and enjoyed it so much I also watched the movie, for whatever that's worth. Good book!
I have seen the film twice. It's intense. Tom Hardy steals the show. I want to see how the book differs.
~~~~~
Primo

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Finally finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, or at least the writing came to a stop while I was reading it.

Now I'm continuing with Abaddon's Gate, #3 in the The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey.

"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Preparing a stack of reading for the long admission:
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg (188.67 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
So, re-reading some John Buchans last read in my youth, three thick Niall Ferguson historical books, one on POWs in the far east (I've been trying to remember the name of a major that my grandparents bought a house from in the '60's, turned out he was court martialled after the war for one of those incidents - maybe in Changi - where someone tried to escape, and a certain number of prisoners were to be beheaded in retaliation unless the culprit came forward. As OiC, he had to decide what to do, and he gave up the escapee rather than have innocent men die. He was disgraced for this at trial.) and finally a few books by the wise and delightful Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. Even atheists like wisdom and good advice.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

surviving the sword looks a little similar to unbroken...quite the read
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rules of Civility by the author of Gentleman in Moscow --- how does it rate against AGIM? I've read pro and con reviews on Amazon. To be clear, I'm not currently reading Rules of Civility, just thinking about it. I'm not finished with AGIM yet, taking my time, and have found it very enjoyable. Not in a hurry to finish it, I like to prolong reading good books.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

battle of cry of freedom, james mcpherson (audible)

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've finished A Gentleman in Moscow. It is a welcome addition to my reading list. I didn't rush through it, just took my time and enjoyed it.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Gary, GIM is one to savor. Rules of Civility is also good, but not in the same league, IMO.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think my next book will be The Apostle by Brad Thor. Nothing like GIM to be sure. But there's nothing that puts me to sleep every night as fast as a good book. Out like a light.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

brothers wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:07 am But there's nothing that puts me to sleep every night as fast as a good book. Out like a light.
How about a bad book? :D
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:D :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

:D :D
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Seconding here The Expanse series. I think I last finished Cibola Burn. At the moment I'm reading The Sprawl by Jason Diamond, on the history and cultural meaning of suburbia. I have a review of the book in the works...
Regards,
Mike
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Currently getting caught up on my periodicals so that I can start my next book. My reading time is very limited with all that I do. I don't have enough time in retirement. My next book is "Left of Bang". What put me behind on mag's were 2 books by Selco Begovic regarding his 1st hand account of living through the war in the Balkans both as a conscripted soldier and a civilian.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

maskaggs wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 pm At the moment I'm reading The Sprawl by Jason Diamond, on the history and cultural meaning of suburbia. I have a review of the book in the works...
looking forward to reading it when you get a chance to post.

clive