Gillette question - does this razor exist?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
tallclay

Gillette question - does this razor exist?

Post by tallclay »

I'd like to find a Gillette razor to go with my Merkur Long Handle DE, but I know very little about the Gillette line. I'm hoping that someone with a little more experience can tell me if they ever made a model that meets the following requirements:

1. Adjustable
2. Long handle (metal, not plastic)
3. Silo loading

Any winners?
If there's not a Gillette option, I'm thinking about trying a Progress, but I'd really like to find the above instead.

Thanks,
Clay
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Greetings Clay,
I am sure that there are one or more models of the Gillette Adjustable that you may be able to find on ebay meeting your specs. The only problem is that typically Gillette equated long handles with women's legs. So, when searching ebay's listings, the Gillette Adjustable Lady's Models may be what you are looking for...
:-k Personally, I think a new Merkur Progress to be the better deal. You probably will find it for about the same price retailed at places such as QED as the 40+ year old Gillette gets in the auctions.
Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clay, Absolutely! I began shaving in 1964 with just such a razor, and I'd be using it still if I hadn't lost it after 25 years, or so. 9 blade settings, silo, long handle ( black plastic textured handle coating, but a full metal handle shaft ), heavy, solid, superb! Most of the Gillette Adjustable DEs made during the 1960s and 1970s were in this long handled style. I've seen some beauties for sale, at times, on Ebay. Several of our members have gotten such models. Good luck in your search. Regards, Gordon
lint

Post by lint »

I use this very same model and love it. black coated long metal handle, 9 settings. its wonderful.
tallclay

Post by tallclay »

Thanks fellas,

I'd read about someone here buying the model that you're talking about, and it sounded great except for the handle. I was concerned that it was a solid plastic handle, but now that I have the whole story, it sounds like a winner. Thanks again for the input.

Clay
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Clay,

I believe the longest handled adjustable Gillette is the toggle handle gold model made only in 1960. There are a couple up for sale right now on E-Bay but the prices are out of sight. There is still hope out there as a friend of mine just got back from Atlanta and found one, new and in the original box and paid $22.00 for it at an antique mall! They goe for over $135.00 in that shape on E-Bay.

It's the one Gillette that I still lust after but refuse to pay those kind of prices; just gives me a good reason to haunt the antique stores.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

jvan wrote:I believe the longest handled adjustable Gillette is the toggle handle gold model made only in 1960. There are a couple up for sale right now on E-Bay but the prices are out of sight. There is still hope out there as a friend of mine just got back from Atlanta and found one, new and in the original box and paid $22.00 for it at an antique mall! They goe for over $135.00 in that shape on E-Bay.

It's the one Gillette that I still lust after but refuse to pay those kind of prices; just gives me a good reason to haunt the antique stores.
The situation looks to get worse before it gets better; the last gold toggle went for $192.50:

Gillette Toggle Auction Link

Now that wetshaving has hit the mainstream media, new users with deep pockets (this may be expensive for a razor, but it's cheap for a yuppie toy/gift) are competing with collectors for the same razors- and, of course, once a "user" gets one, much of the collector value is gone forever. That being the case, I doubt that the values will ever drop to the previous levels again.

P.S.- I'm pretty sure the black-handled '60's versions are longer than the toggle.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

You are more than likely right about the new players in the razor market, the person that paid the $192.50 did so as their first E-Bay transaction. I hope someone can tell us which of the two razors you mention is the longest as I am curious to know.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Clay,
Here are two pages of the razors for sale. Some of the sellers claim they selling are the RARE long-handled model, others claim they are selling the RARE short-handled model, and yet others claim they have the RARE model without regard to handle.
http://tinyurl.com/e2wss
Good luck, and Good BIDDING!
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

jvan wrote:You are more than likely right about the new players in the razor market, the person that paid the $192.50 did so as their first E-Bay transaction. I hope someone can tell us which of the two razors you mention is the longest as I am curious to know.
It might well get re-listed. I know many sellers hate to see a "zero" win an auction, as apparently they don't pay nearly half the time- they have no reputation at stake.

But... there had to be at least two bidders interested in that range to get the price up there, of course.
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

Clay, I have a couple of those black long handled Gillette adj. While I have a bunch of razors in my rotation, these are currently my go to razors. As Gordon stated, the black textured plastic is a coating for a metal inner. The long handle makes for a sure and comfortable grip. You should be able to get one fairly easy, as I seem to see them often at antiques stores.
Joey