Smart Shoes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have gotten the catalouge and the 50% off offer. been tempted to order shirts and ties and links. maybe down the line the captoe balmoral shoes.

i wear birkenstock sandals and clogs. i also have a pair of stonefly shoes that have the monk strap i like to wear. got a pair of coach driving shoes, really like them in the suede. got a pair of ugg shoes, with the shearling, those are so warm

i dont really like boots, though i have a pair of timberlands for hiking if i ever do that, bought more for style. i got a pair of duck shoes that are high and also have the thinsulate, but id rather not wear them.

dress shoes, allen edmonds are really comfortable.

sam
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Good shoes, well cared for, are not only more classy and comfortable, but in the long run, they cost less because they last so much longer. I'm a big Allen Edmonds fan because the quality is very high and the prices are not bad. I have one pair of Edward Green bespoke shoes that are wonderfully comfortable and will last a lifetime -- the initial price of these was a bit hard to swallow, but I'm glad I did it.
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
tigert

Post by tigert »

Joel wrote:I am quite a big fan of Ecco shoes... namely the Seawalkers. They have a fiber form sole that molds to your foot after wearing it for several weeks. VERY comfortable shoes, and they seem to last forever!
I'm an ecco fanatic as well, I've never owned any seawalkers but I love the Track II boots and I have several pairs of dressier shoes from their new city line as well, all of them are extremely comfortable and long lasting.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pat, I was not aware that Edward Green did bespoke. I've always heard them spoken of in terms of being one of the very best makers of classic English bench made shoes, but never bespoke. Did they take your measurements at their shop in London? How long did you have to wait, for them to be made? Was there more then one fitting? Always wanted a pair of bespoke cap toes ( maybe from Trickers or Fosters ) but both the expense, and the logistics make it unfeasible ( sigh ). Regards, Gordon
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

And Don't forget the good old brands of america! Alden shoes and the Allen Edmunds shoes!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
CharlieV

Post by CharlieV »

Gordon,

Edward Green does bespoke shoes. Usually done via trunk shows held at various hotels in major metro areas. From what I understand that is the direction they would like head towards.

Regards,CharlieV
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Gordon,
My fitting was in London, but they travel around. One fitting was all that was necessary. Took about 3 months to deliver back in the States. Beautiful, perfect fitting shoes. Every man should do this at least once.

http://www.edwardgreen.com/Events/index.htm
--Pat Thayer
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

I've been wearing a pair of clarks england "wallabee" shoes. They are extremely comfortable. The sole is a rubber compound and quite thicker than most others. The sales gal told me to be carefull when walking on hot asphalt as the soles could melt and stick. This hasn't happened yet, but will be interesting if it does.
Harrison
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

My girlfriend has a thing about guys wearing sandles. It would seem she views it in the same way as I view girls with hairy underarms. :roll:

These days I tend to wear Justin Ropers when I go out for the evening. During the day I can get by with a pair of Doc Martin oxfords or some other casual shoe.

I too would love a nice pair of custom cowboy boots and a pair of custom hiking boots.....Heck throw in a nice pair of custom cap toe shoes and I'd be set!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thanks Pat and Charlie. Definately did not know that they did bespoke, sometimes wondered why. I think it may be a fairly new thing with them. One fitting, and three months is pretty damn good, in that league. Yes well, every gent should do it at least once, bespoke suit too, couldn't agree more, but alas, I don't see it as very doable anytime in the forseeable future. It's a bloody shame. Regards, Gordon
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

well when an ole po' shoeshine boy looks for shoes-he has to have comfort...check out SAS shoes out of San Antonio Texas...the walkers are great but the Pathfinder II are excellent...if I told you that the first hour of wearing this my feet quit hurting after 5 years...you may think I was a miracle case for Oral Roberts....

But it is true...

For dress shoes I prefer Johnston and Murphy...Signature series are nice looking casual shoes with great comfort but the Aristocraft (top of the line) are the finest shoes this ole s/e missourah boy has ever had on...and I love to shine them...it's a treat...

bury me with those on with my shave mug and brush in hand....

I only charge 25 cents a pair to put a shine on a pair of shoes, so my income is limited unlike some of yours. But those Charles Tyrwhitt shirts look very nice...do they have a sale on them...did you say 50% off ???

any 17"x33" out there for sale ???

Thanks

mark theshoeshineboy
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

Blackgrass....

check out the Luchesse or the Tony Lama brand...they are both handmade, but one will still make a lathe of your foot to custom sew anything you want...

we have a gentlemen in town that make boots..saddles and stuff, but he is getting ready to retire....to bad or I would direct him to you...

mark TSSB
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

25 cents a pair for shoes to be shined? cheapest i have ever seen in the last few years is $3 and you had better fork over a $5 and dont expect change.

sam
kal

Post by kal »

Gentlemen
I've tried a few of the London bespoke shoemakers over the years, my favorit is Cleverley's at the Royal arcade. They are smaller and less famous and probably thats why they have maintained their excellent standards.
Handmade bespoke and extensive international marketing dont go well hand in hand. The numbers of skilled craftsmen is limited and they dont grow overnight. It will be interesting to see how EG will handle a rapid increase in demand.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kal, I always thought that Cleverleys was renowned, talked about in the same breath as Lobb, but you say that they're not well known. Here's a question that you might be able to answer. Do you know if Maxwells is still in business, and still making bespoke shoes and boots? They were probably the oldest top shelf bootmakers in London, once Peal closed their doors. I'd hate to think that they're now gone too. Regards, Gordon
kal

Post by kal »

Gordon,
Never came across Maxwells, any idea about their last location ? Usually when a renowned London business falters it is not uncommon that they sell their name and knowhow to other more successful firms. I will certaily ask next time I'm there. There's a good chance that someone else is carrying their products.
Amazingly I've been a client of Cleverleys for several years but never realized they were renowned. Unlike Lobbs and Berluti, they hardly ever advertise or promote themselves. All their work is done in the premises of their small shop and they dont seem eager to expand.
Nevertheless from my own personal experience I find their shoes superior to Lobbs. They feel lighter and they certainly are more stylish.
Regards, Kal
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kal, Oh yes, George Cleverley was recognized as THE master of the London bespoke shoe, for several decades, Churchill bought from him, you name it. He created that unique 'Cleverley toe', that sort of chisled shape. Rather like the 'Soulte shoulder' in tailoring. Those two chaps that worked with him at Poulson Skoane have largely maintained the reputation, now that he's gone. Definately shoes for the cognoscenti. I'd be thrilled to just get a pair of their off the shelf models! The last address I have for Maxwells was near the end, or right off the end, of Savile Row. They'd been in business since the end of the 1700s, and held a Royal Warrant to The Queen as a bootmaker. They might now be lodged in part of some other firm's shop, I'm not sure. If you ever do find out, I'd appreciate knowing. Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

chris, i had a pair of birkenstock arizona sandals for summer. wore them everywhere, including tromping through the streets of new york. it seems that the arch support and the heel cup just do my feet well. i know that birkies are not really in style, but hey they work. i tried on some new tevas, some clarks, some merrils. my birks are like 5 years old and not quite ready for a new footbed or soles, but not in great shape either. so i was gonna consider a new pair but with the soft footbed. well, they run like $110 but i found a pair with the regular footbed on sale for $67 so i grabbed them.

my thought: if they work, why not get another pair. i got mocha brown instead of the stone color. i have almost flat feet, and though i do not prefer an arched running shoe, the birks are great for me. i did not want something too casual, with insignias or anything, but i have some dress sandals and they are not comfortable. they look good, so since they are black, it may be once or twice a summer at a dinner function. kinda clunky, i may chunk them. but i could not find other sandals that work as well for me, and the price, well it may be jump at it.

btw, i found a pair of cole haan driving mocs in black leather that have black shearling. 75% off at dillards and they are like $28. go or no go? id like a pair of driving mocs, and since i dont really know when and where i would wear them, tods are out of the question for the time being. suggestions?

sam
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Gordon,
Well, of course, there's John Lobb. . .
--Pat Thayer
kal

Post by kal »

I'm reviving this thread because on my recent trip to Orlando I picked a couple of Allen Edmunds shoes , a black box calfOxford and a cordovan full brogue. It has been a long while since I last wore an AE and I must say I'm impressed by the quality of manufacturing and finish. Equal if not better than the better English brands at half the cost.