Dumb question

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Dumb question

Post by AACJ »

I hope this is not a dumb question, but since I am a newbie, I will ask it anyway.

Is shave soap as described here in this forum only for shaving? Can I use it as soap to wash my face as well? I have read that some people use other soap on their face first then lather up with the shave soap. I am afraid my wife will likely use it on her face, then when she finds how nice it is she will use it to shave her legs...

I have not ordered any as of yet, Charles at QED suggests I get used to the brush first, but I ordered some samples from some of the T's.

Thanks
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hey Art,

Welcome. I have honestly never heard of shave specific soap being used as facial soap however, I have heard of facial soap being used as shave soap. Im not sure that the shave soap has specific cleaning ingredients for cleaning your face.

Im sure more gents will answer your question better than I can.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hey Art,

Welcome. I have honestly never heard of shave specific soap being used as facial soap however, I have heard of facial soap being used as shave soap. Im not sure that the shave soap has specific cleaning ingredients for cleaning your face.

Im sure more gents will answer your question better than I can.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

You cannot use the QED shave soap for the face b/c it is in a tub and would have to be melted to remove. Moreover, Charles makes a soap specifically for washing face called QED Man Bars, they are gentler for the facial area. These I beleive are currently in stock as opposed to the shave soaps.
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

Yes you can, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want to.

I've used some shave soaps that didn't work for me as shave soaps in the shower before, and they did clean me off. The better shaving soap lathered up very well in fact. The poor shaving soaps were still poor soaps.

I second what has been said about the QED shaving soap, while it is still soap, it isn't made to be used as a bath soap, and using it as such would not be worth it IMHO.

I've found that a lot of shaving soaps are significantly softer then body/face soaps, so they will disappear much faster then your normal bath soap if you use them in the bath. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend you use a shaving soap as a bath soap unless you absolutely love the soap, or you can't use it for shaving. Surprisingly (at least to me) some soaps that irritated me when I shaved worked just fine in the shower, even when I washed my face.

So there's really no reason you can't use a shaving soap as a general soap, except that it will end up costing you more.

--Vincent