rose creams??

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Gaelicboy

Post by Gaelicboy »

Good! I had the exact same reaction as PottyDoctor when I used the Taylor's Rose. My face felt like I dumped Kerosene on it, and lit it!

I have not had such a reaction from other Taylor's flavors (Lavender, Sandalwood and Shave Shop - by the way I LOVE shave shop!!)

I liked the rose scent, but the pain is just not worth it.

Colin
Slainte!
“A few customers like to take [the turtles] home alive so they can play with them for a few days before making them into soup,” she said.
mike

Post by mike »

My experiences with Rose scented creams have not been good. I had a reaction to QED Rose and Trumper's Rose. I am very reluctant to try any more Rose scented products. I do not consider myself to have sensitive skin. I do fine with Truper's Violet as well as many of the perfume scents.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

i tried the Trumpers Rose, the shave was good but the fragrance, well too girly for me :D

Rose shave cream is not for me :)
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
PottyDoctor

Re: Disappointed with Taylor Rose Reformulation!

Post by PottyDoctor »

PottyDoctor wrote:Gents,

I understand the EU requirements for changing the Taylor formulation, and I also realize that they will NEVER change back to the "Original" formula. However, I hope someone will help me make a comparison of contents between the "Original" Rose formula and the "New" Rose forumla. I no longer have an "Original" Rose formula tub to compare contents, so I am asking someone with an "Original" Rose tub to list the contents so we can compare them.

"Taylor's NEW Rose Formula Ingredients
": Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, Methylparaben, Propyl Paraben, CI 17200 (Parfum Contains: Citronellol, Geraniol, Cinnamyl, Alcohol, Linalool, Citral, Limonene.)

The reason I am so interested in doing a comparison is that Taylor's Rose is the cream I started wetshaving with and was my #1 favorite cream and #1 favorite single note floral scent. I have shaved two times from a "New Formula" Taylor's Rose Tub and both times I have ended up with my face feeling "like it was on fire." And it takes a day to get over it, even after applying Aloe 80 Gel. It actually makes whelps and a rash on the lower part of my neck [lower than where I actually shave] that I had to put Neosporin on to get relief. I have a known sensitivity to menthol, but I don't know what this new formula has in it to cause such a reaction.

I am disappointed to say the least that my favorite cream is HISTORY! I have some Trumper's Rose which IMHO has somewhat of an artificial rose scent. The Coates is OK, but just not the deep, intoxicating Rose fragrance of the Taylor's.

Hope someone can help by posting the ingredients from an OLD Taylor's Rose Tub. I also plan on writing Taylor's and informing them of my disappointment and sensitivity to the new product.

Thanks for your help!
Here is a copy of the email I sent Taylor's on April 30, 2006 concerning the irritation with their Rose cream:
Gentlemen,

Taylor's Rose Shave Cream has been my #1 favorite Shave Cream...my "Go To" Shave Cream! I ablsolutely love the intoxicating rose fragrance and the performance is equally fine. I just had my first two shaves from a new tub of Taylor's Rose [the newly reformulated version with the clear sticker on the lid] and have experienced a severe skin irritation both times I used it. I allowed a week or so between retrying the cream. I noticed somewhat of a slight burning sensation immediately upon application of the cream but completed the shave anyway. It takes an entire day to get rid of the burning sensation, even after applying Aloe Gel several times. It also produced a rash on the lower part of my neck [below the shaving line] so severeI had to apply Neosporin Ointment several times during the day to calm the irritation enough to comfortably wear a shirt.

I am terribly disappointed with my "New" Taylor's Rose! I realize you must meet certain EU requirements and I don't have a problem with that. I am writing merely to inform you of my sensitivity to something in the New Formula...I have no idea what it is...maybe you do! Have other shavers reported similar experiences with the New Formula?

Is there any way to get any of the Original Rose Formula?

Thanks for taking time to read my report of my adverse reaction. I hope to hear from you soon.

Ron
Knoxville, TN
USA
Here is the reply I received from Taylors May 3, 2006:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We will carry out some tests here, as we have had no other complaints or issues raised about our Rose Shaving Cream. The tubes are still the old formula, so we will compare the two.

We will contact you again as soon as the tests have been completed; approximately 10 days.

Kindest Regards,

Barry Klein

Taylor of Old Bond Street
Interesting already to see that there is indeed a difference in the formulation of Taylor's Rose in the tubs; apparently they still have the old Rose formulation in the tubes for some strange reason. I will ask if the tubes are "New Old Stock" or do they plan on changing them as well.

The other interesting part is that I am, according to Mr. Klein, the ONLY one that has written concerning problems with the reformulations. I strongly encourage anyone who is having problems to send them an email detailing problems you are experiencing with the new recipe. We can tell each other our problems but that is not going to get anything changed with the powers that be.

Their email is: sales@tayloroldbondst.co.uk
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

From what I remember reading on Shave Blog, the only things that have changed are a few of the ingredients in the scent - specifically the addition of citronellol and geraniol. Something to do with new EU and FDA regulations apparently. Looks like the Rose cream has more natural ingredients in it now, but some people can be very sensitive to essential oils, so if you're allergic to them, it's probably best to avoid any products containing them in future.

If you have any rose cream you don't want though, I'll gladly put it to use.... :wink:
Sláinte!
Marty
Gaelicboy

Post by Gaelicboy »

As a comment on Gordon's msg. I e-mailed Truefitt & Hill about samples, and the response was that they no longer carry the Rose shave cream.

I don't know if the e-mail address, posted in Shopping (Free samples e-mail topic) goes to a U.S. distributor, or the main factory/company/etc.

This may have been posted somehwere else, but I couldn't find it.

O.K.
Slainte!
“A few customers like to take [the turtles] home alive so they can play with them for a few days before making them into soup,” she said.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening, I would assume that it goes to T&H North America. Check out the above thread regarding what's happening with them. They are continuing to drop classic T&H products, presumably to maximize profit, and push their new line ( Ultra Comfort shave cream, et.al. ). However, according to Robert of TGS, Truefitts will continue to offer all these products at their shop, and in the UK in general. So, hopefully, those who favor them will be able to continue ordering them from there. Our local Nordstroms still has a goodly stock of the Rose cream, and a few other items that the US distributors are axing. So, the T&H Rose cream is still available, just look elsewhere.
Regards,
Gordon
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

Well, here is the reply from Taylor's concerning the email I sent them (see above) about the extreme irritation I experienced with the new Rose formulation.
Dear Sir,

Further to our e-mail earlier this month, we have now tested the new Rose Shaving Cream and have found no adverse effects. This includes trials on very sensitive skin types.

Our chemist has advised us that a person can be allergic to an ingredient, whether or not they have particularly sensitive skin. Allergic reactions could be triggered by two different products being used together.

We hope this information is helpful. We have found some older stocks of the Rose Shaving Cream Bowl, which we would be pleased to supply to you if you place a special order. At the time of ordering, we will also send you a complimentary tube or bowl.

Kindest Regards,

Taylor of Old Bond Street
I have a tub of the old stuff I bought from another wetshaver. When it runs out I will be in pursuit of a different rose. Just wanted to let everyone know what their reply was.
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Does anyone have a follow up to this or related concerns? Did anyone else email Taylor's about their Rose cream or other products? If so, what was the responses? Any updates to report, of any kind?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, What's to report? They markedly changed their shave creams. See my posts in the 'Crack of Doom' thread for my take on WHY they did so.
Regards,
Gordon
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Gordon,

Ron had ask for others to email them about negative reactions to the 'New' formula and I was wonder if he or anyone else had anything to add to this thread.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

Tim,

Thanks for digging this thing up. No matter what Taylor's told me, nobody knows better than I do when my face is 'lit up' by some irritant in a shave cream. I understand that they're not going to 'go public' with negative feedback or the real reasons they 'reformulated'. But, hey, it's their company so they're entitled to do what they want to do.

I have tried the eShave Floral, which is essentially a rose cream, but I did not like the way it lathered at all. I will probably try some Salter's when I place another order with someone who sells it. I may also try Mama Bear's Attar of Roses cream.

I loved that orginal Taylor's Rose, but since it's gone, I've kind of become a lavender lover and really enjoying it.
Happy Shaving,

Ron

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Ah,.....I see. Well, there have been a few other such reports, sprinkled here and there in odd threads since the time of this one. And my friend in England just threw out two full pots of the new version Taylors, saying that they dried out his skin, didn't provide adequate cushion, and so forth. He was seriously ticked off with them. He then went and bought out one shop's stock of the old Taylors to hoard.
Regards,
Gordon
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I have only used one rose scented cream and I beleive it was Taylor's and the scent was just too strong for me.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

No comments on the new AOS Rose Absolut cream?

I've received a tub but haven't tried it yet. It certainly has a pleasant rose scent.
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

I guess I am one of the lucky few who can use the rose scented creams with no problems. In my opinion T&H has the lighter scent when I compared with TOBS and Trumper's. In reading this thread I was unaware that T&H was going to discontinue the rose cream. I really like it so I will be making a trip to my local Nordstrom to get a couple of tubs before it is too late. Thanks for the info.

Raf
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Raf, Actually, a lot of us here use rose shave creams, just some had problems with, or didn't like the newer Taylor's formulation of it. You are fortunate that your local Nordstroms still has the T&H Rose, as other branches have been sold out for awhile, and I just got the one lone pot that my store had still lingering. T&H NA dropped the Rose and Sandalwood creams from their offering some time ago, as you can see from the dates on the above posts. Most unfortunate. The only US shop that can still sell it is the T&H barber shop in Chicago, as they fall outside the domaine of T&H NA, being pre-existing. So, get it while you can...those shipping fees from the UK can be steep ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Scott,

I bought the AOS Rose over the weekend in New York. I used it this morning. It is excellent, lathers well, contains no added coloring. The scent is a bit different from the range of traditional British rose scents, perhaps a little heavier and richer. The cream, unlike the other AOS creams, is made in the U.S. Interestingly, it is packaged in ml or fluid ounces, rather than by weight (grams). Looks very slightly "looser" too, but this doesn't seem to diminish its effectiveness.

Ken
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

As I've said in another thread, I really dig the new AOS Rose cream. Best cream I've used so far.
Cheers,
Peter J