Art of Shaving Brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Keef

Art of Shaving Brushes

Post by Keef »

The company has 4 brushes. A $50 brush that in my opinion is not worth your money. It has hard bristles and does not give you a luxurious feeling at all when using it.
Then the $100 brush. This I found to be an acceptable brush. There is more hair on the brush and it mixes the cream on your face well.
Then the $180 brush is their silvertip model. This has much softer bristles and worked better in holding water than the $100 brush. This is the one I currently have. I started with the $100 brush but after 3 days, I returned it and upgraded to the $180 brush.
Then had a model with an expensive handle for like $400 which I don’t think is worth it. I would rather have a Simpson Chubby 3 for that price.
All the AOS brushes are glued to the handle and do not have a knot like the Simpson. At some point, I want to try a Simpson brush and see if it is really that much better. I was told it is denser and that it does not open as much as the AOS brush. But really when using the silvertip brush and cup, I get very good results.

There is some debate on mixing the cream in your hand or using a cup. I have tried both and found that the cup is much better. When using your hand, a lot of the water escapes from the brush and leaks out of your hand into the sink. With using a cup, the water stays in the cup and goes back into the brush. Then of course with my second and third pass, I put very hot water in the brush each time and mix the cream and water together to keep the shaving cream hot.

I assume if you are on this forum your not using crappy Gillette or any other cheap shaving cream. The AOS cream, Trumpers or Taylor is a lot better than the other dry shaving creams.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hi Keef,

I happen to have a Simpsons Super Polo 12 and I enjoy using it very much. It's really quite large and does hold a lot of water. The one thing I like to point out to gents is that the bristles are VERY stiff. If you like soft bristles then this is probably not the brush for you. It took me awhile to get used to it and appreciate its characteristics. About 8 months after I bought this Simpson brush I went ahead and purchased a Vulfix Super 377. This brush really impressed me too. It's a fraction of the price, has very SOFT bristles, and provided just as close a shave for me as the Simpson. Just some food for thought. I enjoy them both and have a good time switching between the two as my mood changes.

Vince
:::Vince:::
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Stiff silvertip

Post by qed-usa »

Guys -

Just a simple caution, true silvertip should not be stiff, regardless what some chaps on forums will have you believe.

"Silvertip" is a much over-used term which is seldom clearly defined.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
Keef

Post by Keef »

I was told some company's bleach the top of their brush to give a silver tip. So if you see silver tip brushes under $150, that is what they probably did. Silver tip brushes are too costly to be so cheap.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Bleaching

Post by qed-usa »

Keef ...

From what I know ... bleaching is a lot more common than revealed.

Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

silvertip

Post by qed-usa »

Keef ...

I vaguely recall reading on a major manufacturer's site that they bleach and process (whatever that means) their silvertip ...

There is another purveyor who speaks of silvertip coming from the belly area of the badger ...

These are just two quick examples of the confusion around the "silvertip" story.

Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I'm afraid we'll never figure out the silver tip badger puzzle. My recommendation is to go with brushes made by firms/brands with solid reputations. In my mind those are Kent, Vulfix, Savile Row, Plisson, and Simpsons. There are others too but from what I've heard you really can't go wrong with a brush from one of these manufacturers.

Vince
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Charles,

What are your thoughts on Simpson bristles? Do you consider those true silvertip?

Vince
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Silvertip

Post by qed-usa »

Vince -

I very much appreciate that you value my opinion, however as a retailer it would be unwise of me to comment about the authenticity of the grade of hair put out by any brushmaker. There is no way I can know for certain the exact grade a brushmaker purchases ... only the brushmaker has that information. Yes, I have my "opinion" but because of my circumstances it is better I keep that opinion to myself. This should not be taken as a hidden message that hair quality from any of the major firms should be doubted ... it is up to consumers to gather their facts and then express their opinions. Let me say this, by the early weeks of 2005 I will be able to speak much more on this subject as it relates to the changes coming to the Savile Row range ... the information I will be providing should help you tremendously to evaluate brushes in general.

Regards,
Charles
QED, Inc. - USA

P.S. Privately, I may be willing to talk a bit more in depth about the subject of silvertip.