Tips that make a difference....

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Tips that make a difference....

Post by blackgrass »

There was a thread on another forum about one tip that has made the biggest difference in your shaving. I would love to hear what one thing you have done that you feel like has made the biggest difference in the quality of your shave.

In that thread someone mentioned making two North to South passes.

I have been making two N to S passes for the past couple of weeks and I wanted to post that this has made a huge difference in my shaves. Initially I was making my first pass N to S and my next pass would be S to N. Since I have started making two N to S passes I have not been getting any irritation and just the occasional nick in my problem areas. This seems to have helped me more than anything else I have tired. I would encourage you to try this out if your still experimenting or experiencing irritation.
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

The one thing that has made the biggest difference in terms of comfort and quality of my shaves:

Pacific Shave Oil

Cheers,

Richard
Will Not Shave without It
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Definetly the "hotpot" thread. Using a hotpot has helped my shaves immensely.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

I have been using the PSO as well and it is a great product! The oil combined with the two N to S passes has really made the difference. I have been using the oil for a while now and was still experiencing some irritation before starting to make two N to S passes. The oil did seem to help out quite a bit but combined with the two N to S passes it has really taken my shaves to the next level.
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

Ok perhaps you guys can enlighten me on this Pacific Shave oil since I hear you talk about it quite a bit. If it is meant as a shave oil and not a preshave why do you use it as such? That is you use it to shave but you apply cream on top, why? Technically it's the oil that is in contact with the skin and allowing for such a smooth shave, so the cream isn't really doing much. I mean the stuff is meant to be used on its own not as a pre-shave isn't it. Does it not work as well w/o the use of a cream to layer on top?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Hedonist, I also use PSO but I use it for my last pass. I will lather up with my cream and do the N to S pass. I also do the S to N pass with only cream. But for my last pass, I apply PSO to any area that still has stubble and shave the stubble. Works well for me.
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

I have heard of a couple of people that use the oil alone. I always use it with a cream or soap. My thinking is the main purpose of a cream or soap is to hold water so that it provides lubrication. I think the water holding ability of a good cream/soap and the lubrication of the POS combined together make for a great shave.
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Like Blackgrass mentioned, the water-holding ability and glycerin in the shave cream coupled with the lubrication from the PSO makes for a great, irritation free shave everytime.

True, you can shave with just the oil; my son does this with his M3 and with his Braun electric. When the PSO combines with water or cream it provides a very slick surface to shave. You can actually feel how much more slick your beard is with PSO, versus just cream, when you rinse off betwen passes. This fine lubrication allows one to make multiple passes over one spot in all different directions with no irritation.

Do a search on Pacific Shave Oil on this forum for more information.

You can get PSO through Charles at QED or from www.pacificshaving.com.

If you are experiencing razor irritation, or can't shave against the grain for that close shave, try PSO. It is about $6 for a 1/2 ounce bottle that should last 50-80 shaves.

Cheers,
Richard
Long-Time PSO User in Texas
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

For me it was the Badger hair brush!!

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I have to agree with Gramps. The brush. And learning to use it properly.

Randy
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

I'd have to choose a brush also. I was quite reluctant to actually purchase a brush. To me, it seemed like sort of a silly thing to do. And I have no desire to be trendy! However, the brush has done such a great job preparing my face and lather for shaving that I can't imagine shaving without it.
netdood

Post by netdood »

I too will say the brush! When it comes to creams, a good brush makes ALL the difference. As for the POS, I personally don't understand all the hype! Perhaps I'm missing something but, the bottle I purchased (because of all the great reviews) lasted me at best a week and it really didn't seem to be much of an oil. I've since then tried jojoba oil and it seems to work MUCH better. Not to mention, you get more than 10 times the amount for a cheaper price. Just my opinion... I'm starting to realize that different products work better for different people.
netdood

Post by netdood »

My bad Chris! PSO it is.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

:lol: :lol:
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Keeping my damn hands off my face.
Although it feels baby soft when I touch it, I always get irritation where my hands touch my face.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
postoumios

Post by postoumios »

I always put a small dab of regular hair conditioner on my stuble before I apply the shaving soap .
(I apply the h.c before I start the "make a delicious lather" procedure w/ my brush & shaving soap :lol: so that it "finds time" to soften my beard ,I don't rinse it I simply lather ON TOP of it.)
It really softens my tough beard.
robofunk

Post by robofunk »

biggest tip for me was to switch to a double edge razor. then after that the other tips like shave brush, real shaving cream, shave oil and technique came into play. without the DE i'd still be in M3 land.