What kind of brush do you use and...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Johnnie
Shave This

What kind of brush do you use and...

Post by Johnnie »

What kind of brush do you use and what do you like about it? What would you change about it if you could?

I am just trying to get as much info as possible so I can make the right choice. I think I have narrowed it down to the one I want. I just want to get your opinions.

Thanks guys.

I'm sure most of you more than one.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Johnnie,

I have 3 brushes. I have a burma shave boar hair, a Edwin Jagger Super Bagder in real horn, and a Simpson Persian Jar #2.

I like the Edwin Jagger best of all. It has the greatest water retention and the softest bristles. I would have a slightly larger handle with a bit larger curve.

The Burma Shave brush is a great brush for using with soaps very fast to lather. It is what I use when i am in an extreme rush.

The simpson is kind of my odd duck out. I love the handle size but the bristle i feel is not true silvertip. It is stiff bristle and has sharp points. It bothers my skin the most. I have come to find out that true silvertip is not stiff in that sense. So therefore what i would change about the brush is the nature of the hair.

Johnnie, hope this helps!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I have two main brushes. One is a Vulfix 377 super badger and the other is a Simpson Super Polo 12. They are both fine brushes indeed. I like the Simpsons for it's unique quality of having a very dense knot of hair which is very stiff. It's not as stiff as boar but more stiff than pure badger. It generates a very luxurious lather with either cream or soap. If I could change anything about it...hmmm... well there isn't much I would change though I think an ebony handle or something in horn would be more attractive :-)

As for the Vulfix 377 I like this brush for it's softness. It is hands down the softest brush I have ever used. It has a hearty knot (26mm) of super badger hair which is more than enough to create the luxurious lather that I need. Much like the Simpson brush there isn't anything I would change about it except for something that would make it more attractive. I find these mock ivory brushes to be somewhat plain. I wish my Vulfix 377 had a pewter handle. I would have paid extra for a good handle much like the Edwin Jagger line..oh well...it's a trivial matter in the end.

Vince
:::Vince:::