Nordstrom

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drumana

Post by drumana »

GregPQ wrote:
Hoos wrote:..There's a line of bath/beauty products from Spain (don't recall the name) that makes a shaving cream in a tub, but they were out. She said it had a pomegranate scent...
Funny, during my last visit to Colonial Drugs (around Christmas) I noticed they had a large selection of a Spanish shaving line with unusual scents. Saw little or no Trumpers or D R Harris or Taylors that day.

My daughter got me my first Trumpers at Christmas (Limes soap) at C O Bigelows in Copley Place, which I have yet to visit myself. The Boston store kind of sneaked up on me--it opened in October 2005 and may be (for all I know) the only Bigelow's outside NYC.

Greg

PS--Loving the GFT Limes!
FYI - Colonial Drug is now restocked with all of its Trumpers, T&H, and Castle Forbes shave creams (and some soaps). . . They were all but out for a while. . .
-Andrew-
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

There is also a C.O. Bigelow's in the Kenwood Town Center in Cincinnati, OH. They carry the full line of Trumpers creams and soaps, as well as many colognes and skin food. They also have Floris colognes, including No. 89 the last time I was in town.

-Dan
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

LostInCincy wrote:There is also a C.O. Bigelow's in the Kenwood Town Center in Cincinnati, OH. They carry the full line of Trumpers creams and soaps, as well as many colognes and skin food. They also have Floris colognes, including No. 89 the last time I was in town.
Dan,

Have you checked out their store prices? The prices on their website are pretty good. If they offer the same price in the store, that would be great. E.g., Trumpers soap in wooden bowl for $29, DR Harris shave stick for $21. I may just have to drag my own fine self over to the Back Bay and check this out in person...

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

Greg, I can't speak for the New York store, but the chain Bigelow's have horrible prices. It's as if they take the price on the website and add the shipping for that single item. A pot of Trumpers goes for $35.00 if I remember correctly. Tubes were $22.00. The soap in the wooden bowl is ridiculous. Into the 40s as I recall. And they don't carry the soap refills. For me, though, it was plenty worth it to be able to buy in person and examine the tubs I bought.

-Dan
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

LostInCincy wrote:Greg, I can't speak for the New York store, but the chain Bigelow's have horrible prices. It's as if they take the price on the website and add the shipping for that single item. A pot of Trumpers goes for $35.00 if I remember correctly. Tubes were $22.00. The soap in the wooden bowl is ridiculous. Into the 40s as I recall. And they don't carry the soap refills. For me, though, it was plenty worth it to be able to buy in person and examine the tubs I bought.

-Dan
Have to agree with the above. Don't get me wrong, I love having a Bigelow in a major mall near me, but I almost always use the store for purposes of checking stuff out and then ordering online. I've purchased Bigelow shaving cream (basically Proraso) in the store as well as some Floris products (priced rather fairly) and other assorted items, but the Trumpers stuff is really pricey. Definitely not a bulk buy kind of place, but not bad if picking up a single cream as you'll get to check it out in person (great for a Trumper newbie), and it will of course last a while.
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Well, not to resurrect a dead thread, I will.

Nordstrom may or may not continue carrying the Truefitt & Hill line in their stores. I recall reading a similar posting in one of the threads.

Today, I went in to my local Nordstrom to get some T&H creams. The T&H products were on two shelves (down from an entire section last October) and the only cream they had in a tub was the T&H unscented. They had one tube of 1805 and one tube of almond. They did have a couple bottles of A/S and a good selection of EDT.

The salesman told me that he'd heard both: that Nordstrom would no longer carry T&H and that they would continue stocking it but were letting inventory run out. He did not know for sure.

I emailed Nordstrom with my support of their continuing to carry the T&H line of shaving products. I'll report back when I know.

As an aside, it seems that the Art of Shaving line of products may supplant the T&H, if it is discontinued. The AOS products had an entire section to themselves.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

I live about 20 minutes from two different Nordstrom's. One of them always had a huge display of T&H products showcasing almost all the creams, colognes, and soaps, while the other carried none of these items. I never quite understood that, since the demographic that frequents the latter establishment is more likely to plunk down $25 on some shaving cream. I haven't seen the herd of T&H stuff thinning out at the former Nordstrom's, but I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

As an aside, a brand new Art of Shaving store opened up right next to it, so it will be interesting to see where people purchase their AOS stuff from - a flagship-type looking store or Nordstroms.
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

EmJay wrote:
As an aside, a brand new Art of Shaving store opened up right next to it, so it will be interesting to see where people purchase their AOS stuff from - a flagship-type looking store or Nordstroms.
Hmm. The Nordstrom I was in today is right next to a new mall (they're basically in the same building and connected by a walkway) that also has an AOS store in it. I thought it odd that Nordstrom would be carrying a line for a company that has a store right next door.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Hoos wrote:The Nordstrom I was in today is right next to a new mall (they're basically in the same building and connected by a walkway) that also has an AOS store in it. I thought it odd that Nordstrom would be carrying a line for a company that has a store right next door.
Brent, I was surprised by that too; I thought Nordstroms would stop carrying AOS after the storefront opened. I asked the Nordstroms salesman about it, and he said their sales of AOS had actually increased since the AOS store opened. I left more puzzled than when I first went in...

--Glenn
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

2clfrwrds wrote:
Hoos wrote:The Nordstrom I was in today is right next to a new mall (they're basically in the same building and connected by a walkway) that also has an AOS store in it. I thought it odd that Nordstrom would be carrying a line for a company that has a store right next door.
Brent, I was surprised by that too; I thought Nordstroms would stop carrying AOS after the storefront opened. I asked the Nordstroms salesman about it, and he said their sales of AOS had actually increased since the AOS store opened. I left more puzzled than when I first went in...

--Glenn
Go figure. The one I'm referring to is literally right next to the Nordstrom's entrance on the 2nd floor of the mall, where the men's toiletries are also located. There's about a 45 second walk separating the two. To my surprise, the AOS store gets a ton of traffic. Not what I expected when I first learned of its opening. I don't think they sell many DE's or straights though, mainly brushes, creams, and kits.
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Additional info of my Nordstrom visit today (now that I'm away from the office):

While looking for the T&H creams, an AOS representative(he identified himself) walked up to try and help me. I believe he was the AOS rep in Nordstrom and not from the neighboring store, but I don't know for sure. He did get the Nordstrom clerk while I was looking.

The rep gently tried to steer me toward the AOS products and the clerk gently tried to do so as well. There was no hard sell or trying to talk smack about other products.

I said that from what I'd heard about the behavior of clerks at some stores (condescending, trying to up sell, etc.) and that their products were overpriced, I wasn't inclined to try them. Said very nicely and politely.

Oddly, the clerk kept kind of pushing the AOS products ("See how they don't have as many ingredients as T&H? I use AOS all the time [but he had not shaved recently].")

The AOS rep returned and asked again why I wasn't interested in AOS, and I repeated it. He said that AOS would be very concerned about how the stores are reprented and the remarks I had made were of concern.

I told him that these were experiences reported by a couple of friends and by folks on some web fora. I didn't know the particulars about which stores but recommended that they might want to have a presence on some of the shaving fora. Whether that advice will be taken, I don't know.

The AOS rep was very kind and seemed genuinely concerned about AOS's reputation and how they are represented by their employees.

What all of this means for T&H at Nordstrom, if anything, I don't know.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Hoos wrote: Oddly, the clerk kept kind of pushing the AOS products ("See how they don't have as many ingredients as T&H? I use AOS all the time [but he had not shaved recently].")
Did he mention that AOS creams are quite a bit less expensive than T&H creams??
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Yes, he did mention that. I responded with the statement that my understanding was you could get the same quality with Kiss My Face for less than what AOS charged. He left that alone.

One friend mentioned (and I told the AOS rep) that he had visited their Las Vegas store to buy some shaving cream and the rep kept trying to sell him a razor, even though he didn't want one. He said that that isn't how the AOS stores are supposed to work.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brent, Well, they may be concerned about their reputation ( and their jobs ) but in my experiance they rarely know bubkus about traditional shaving, and believe me, I've talked to more then a few, including in their original NYC shop. I've seen company reps come into Nordstroms or Neiman Marcus with their necks all chewed up from M3s or whatever; really bad shaves.....and here they are selling high end shave products. Marty is/was the regional rep. for T&H in the Southeast, and at least he was somewhat knowledgeable, open, and had a decent shave ( chuckle ). Interesting, in light of the above, when I was in our Nordstorms, I noticed that the AOS section looked pretty depleted as well, which I found interesting. So, I don't know. I'm interested to hear what my sales gal there has to say about all this. There is one other T&H stockist still left in Tampa, but I haven't been in to see them in awhile. They don't carry much of the line, however, only odds and ends. I'll check in with them as well when I get an opportunity.
Regards,
Gordon