SOTD Oct 23-29 2006

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thursday:

Gillette '40s Superspeed & Tesco blade ( alas, the last shave, on the last Tesco I have....sniffle )
Simpson Tulip #3
Trumper's Almond hard shave soap
D R Harris's shave stick
D R Harris's A/S Milk ( old formula )
Trumper's Spanish Leather

Gordon
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

40's Gillette SS
Feather blade
Chubby #3
Coates Tea tree shave cream
Rosehip seed oil
Baxter's aftershave balm
Penhaligon's English Fern
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Thurs:

C&E (Jagger) brush
'74 Superspeed
Feather blade
Honeybee Old Spice soap

Coral Skin Food

One of the worst shaves I have had as of late. The new brush didn't hold water well, and I'm not sure, but the rain may have changed the condition of the water.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
hampsteronastick

Post by hampsteronastick »

Thursday

Gillette Tech
Isreali Personna
Autruche Pure Badger
Olivia Olive Oil and Lavender Soap
KMF Lavender
Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive AS Balm
Old Spice

Dan
Daddy, why are you dipping the hampster in whipped cream?
It's not whipped cream, it's shaving cream.
Daddy, why are you shaving the hampster?
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

So I have been shaving for the last couple weeks with the same setup, which is an unusual thing for an aspiring shavegeek. A quick recap, I ditched the Wars cream last minute and kept the Kent soap and Floris Santal cream. I only used the Floris cream twice. The brush was a little Savile Row travel, which performed admirably despite its miniature stature. I also used Biotherm Active Shave Repair as my A/S. I used my Feather AC DX with an Injector blade every day, my backup DE stayed in the bag, all lonely. Soap was supplied by Kent. I also was supplied with some of the hardest water known to man (I could be making that up, but it sounds good...but it was pretty damn hard anyway).

How did my shaves go? Unbelievably good. Nearly a different hotel every night with every crappy mirror, lights, and some all round dodgy motels (hey, small towns in the middle of nowhere, there are no Deltas! Like I can afford it..) and I had some of the finest shaves ever. I also had two weeks of nearly completely nick free shaves. That little brush lathered Kent soap no problems. Smooth slick shaves every morning. The only thing I noticed with hard water is that your face will dry faster after a swipe with your razor. I also noticed that my skin was drier afterwards and the A/S was not moisturizing enough on its own. I added a bit of moisturizer afterwards to help.

Before I left I had some rather unpleasant run-ins with Feather Super-Pro blades (skin irritation and a couple nicks here and there and did a last minute switch-a-roo for some Injector blades (which make for very fine shaving blades in the Feather AC btw).

I didn't get bored of Kent soap, and it makes one fine lather, no matter the water, and even with a scrubby midget-brush. I remember using JM Fraser's for 5 days straight and nearly losing my marbles, but I feel I could use Kent soap forever and not be bored of it. Fine, fine stuff, and I don't seem to be making a dent in the soap itself, I have 5 cakes-in-waiting, I suppose thats a good thing, but it does nothing to cure the thrill of aquisition. I also find the soap works even better with a straight than a DE.

Now comes the test. Do I use the same setup at home for a few days to see if the trend continues? Will I be tempted by the dozens of other shave soaps, creams, brushes (BK8! BK8!), stickies, that have been eagerly awaiting my return? Most importantly, will it make for an interesting SOTD picture?

I'll sleep on it and figure out this dilemma in the morning. Good thing I'm not going back to work until monday.
Richard
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

Richard,

Welcome back, I hope all went well.

Don't you just hate decisions?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Welcome back. That dilemma is a shavegeek classic. What you experianced on your trip is something that everyone discovers, sooner or later, and that I did a thread on a while back ( called, 'In praise of fidelity' ). If you want the best shaves consistantly, then find some optimal products and gear, and then stick with it. Use the same kit every day. Makes sense, and seems simple.....and it is....for normal shavers, that is. But not for real shavegeeks...of the sort that hang around here. No, for us, not so simple....excruciatingly difficult, in fact. We have all these wonderful different creams lying around, you see. And what about that collection of rare and top shelf razors that has accumulated? I mean, they can't all just SIT there, now can they? And, on top of everything else, if we stick with one set-up, day in and day out, what WILL we post in the SOTD section? It's so tough, in fact, that one time, everyone's favourite blogger decided to stay with one kit for a whole week! Because he was writing about it daily, he managed to do it, but that was it, despite the fact that he got consistantly top notch shaves during that week. It just astounds me today, that I used to shave with exactly the same set-up daily, for years on end! How in the hell did I do that? And, why can't I do that now? Sigh...if we could, we probably wouldn't even be here.
Regards,
Gordon
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Friday:

Wilkinson Sword brush
Dovo straight razor
Ingram shaving cream
St-Ives Intensive Relief moisturizer
Givenchy Gentleman edt

a shave fit for a king! Ingram is another good friend of mine! \:D/ \:D/

Jeff
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

Fraser Friday:
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Friday!

Man am I tired.

V2235
1940's Gillette SuperSpeed w/Derby
Trumper's Sandalwood Cream
Thayer's Rose WH
Fresh Skin Soother
Creed Cuir de Russie EDT
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Friday,

Rooney Style 1 Small Super
Moss Scuttle
Coates Almond
Merkur Long Handle Classic
Euro Gillette blade
CAR lime tonic and lime moisturizer
Dominica Bay Rum

A bittersweet day. The bottomless tube of Coates is finally kicked. I always get a weird sense of satisfaction from finishing a container of something. On the other hand Coates Almond is indefinitely unavailable so I have no replacement. Oh the conflict....
Brett
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

timc

Post by timc »

Cool, grey Friday. But it's the end of the week, and I'm curling tonight.

New shaving mug (thanks Salvation Army!)
Wilkinson Sword "el cheapo" brush
C&E Sandalwood shaving cream
Merkur HD
Derby blade
Generic witch hazel
Nivea Sensitive A/S balm

I was really into the sandalwood the first time I tried it yesterday. I like it a lot more than the sweet almond oil.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Bob

Post by Bob »

Friday:

Gillette '58 TV Superspeed / Gillette "Swede"
Trumper's Violet Shave Cream
Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
Caswell-Massey No. 6 Aftershave Balm
Knize Ten EDT

Ever since Ol Kev's post about neck shaving, I've been paying more attention to trying to get a smooth neck without irritation. My shaves are taking longer each morning but, sure enough, my technique is also improving. No nicks, razor burns or ingrowns this week.

I've been late getting to the office every day, though.
--Bob--
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

Good stuff for Friday:

Gillette Super Speed
Israeli Personna
C&E Super Badger
T&H Sandalwood cream
Trumper Coral Skin Food
Trumper Spanish Leather cologne
Mike
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello All,

For a cold, windy day in north Texas, it was Musgo cream and Musgo AS. TOnight for the shower, Musgo hair and body shower gel followed by some Musgo Lotion.

Tim, by curling, do you mean the Olympic ice sport or is that short for "curling up with someone?" :)

Cheers,
Richard

TomH

Post by TomH »

Friday:

-Merkur 34c w.SHARP blade (3/1)
-OMEGA black badger
-GFT Sandalwood shaving cream
-Aqua Velva classic Ice Blue A/S
-OLIVIA's A/S balm

Music>Artist: DE-PHAZZ; Album: Daily Lama; Year:2002

This OMEGA brush is a really little devil, lathers the cream like mad and it has a great skin feeling...:shock:

Thomas Image
thestubblefactory

Post by thestubblefactory »

Perfect BBS shave today with no nicks!

Hot shower
Proraso Pre-Post
Vulfix #41 Super Badger
Taylor's Lavender soap
Feather Artist Club DX with Pro-Super blade
hot then cold rinse
Classic Shaving Alum Block
Proraso ASB
Corn Husker's lotion (as skin food seal)
Taylor's Mr. Taylor cologne
timc

Post by timc »

Coche_y_bondhu wrote: Tim, by curling, do you mean the Olympic ice sport or is that short for "curling up with someone?" :)
Indeed, I am referring to the ice sport, although I am no Olympian by any stretch of the word. As for the latter, I will be coming home to my wife after curling. We have been known to curl up together from time to time. :wink:
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."