What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: What are you reading?

Post by brothers »

Finished reading The Martian last night. I enjoyed it all the way through. The next book I read will probably be something from W.E.B. Griffin. There are so many, and so many series, I admit I don't know where to start.

EDIT: I have read a ton of reviews of Griffin's series, and I am convinced this author is not for me. I'll find something else.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I just finished Wizard's First Rule, a sword and sorcery novel by Terry Goodkind. Very smoothly written and with a pretty good plot and character development.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Ax by Donald Westlake.

Edit: So bad I returned it to Kindle for a refund. :x
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finished Mayflower on the beach in southern Maine a week ago, then read Rosamunde Pilcher's The Shell Seekers for the 2nd time and am now half-way through The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Story of WWII Spy Thomas Sneum -- pretty interesting read so far.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

It took a while, but I've finally decided to explore the extensive works of John le Carre. Today I started A Perfect Spy, a Kindle ebook on loan from my local library.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

That's a good one, Gary, but I really recommend you read the Smiley trilogy next, if not first. "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," "The Honourable Schoolboy" and "Smiley's People" are classic Cold War LeCarré and really the jumping off point, in my opinion. Enjoy!
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually going to do that, but it seems that Amazon Kindle wants about $13 for each of those, and since I haven't read any of his books, I checked the local library and located a handful of available novels for free, so I can experience his writing before investing real money into the project. :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

LOL! :P I checked out A Perfect Spy from the library (a Kindle book) for what I thought was 2 weeks. Then after reading about 4% of the 692 pages in 4 days, I got a notice that the book will expire in 3 days! Hilarious. Then I read several reviews. The book is obviously a highly respected work from a highly respected author. I picked (purely at random) what some people say is Le Carre's finest work. I think I'll let the loan run it's 3 day course, and while staying with the author, I'll go for one of his other works to start with. I can always come back to A Perfect Spy later.
Gary

Barry

Post by Barry »

Just finished Joyland by Stephen King.
Barry

Post by Barry »

brothers wrote:I find reading to be an escape. I gravitate to the adventure/war/crime etc. books. I have to read (and write) serious and boring stuff in my work, so I avoid technical/ philosophical/biographical/political material at all costs. A pursuit similar to thinking about and exploring the wet shaving hobby in terms of time spent/"lost" in enjoyment.
Gary,

Have you read anything by Pelecanos? You might like his work. His novels are set in DC and he really captures the city and surrounding areas. I'm happy to recommend a few of my favorites if you'd like. Tough characters, hard crimes, etc.

I get through 2-3 a week but read lots of reviews. I need to broaden my range of genres though as it would better enable me to help customers.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hard Rain Falling - Don Carpenter
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I'm going through a phase of re-reading old favorites. Most recently FOUNDATION by Asimov.

One of the best science fiction novels of all time IMO.
disengage
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:The Martian by Andy Weir
After reading the book, we saw the movie, and we enjoyed it as well.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just finished SJ Parris' Heresy.

Excellent read --- even if it is a fictionalization of history to a point. Not sure I'll grab the others in the series or not. They are similar to the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom --- and those I enjoyed very much.

Next on the list is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I have wanted to read this for a very long time now. While I am not a fan of King, I have been fascinated about the topic and treatment of this pivotal day in history. Besides, with the Hulu series about to launch, Costco had the regular sized paperback for $7.59 and figured it was worth the risk. On Kobo it's still over $15 when I last checked.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:. . . Next on the list is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I have wanted to read this for a very long time now. While I am not a fan of King, I have been fascinated about the topic and treatment of this pivotal day in history. . .
Wendell, maybe I should consider reading it. Sounds interesting. Just a note: A few years ago I changed out a transmission in a '64 Impala, the old one was the two speed powerglide, and after I had it sitting in my garage I decided to sell it on ebay. I got a call from a fireman in Kansas City, who wanted it for an El Camino he was restoring. When we were discussing the best way to get it to him, he told me when he dismantled the front end on the El Camino, he found there was a hand-written note glued on the firewall, out of sight, that said " . . . 11-22-1963 the assembly line was shut down today, first time in history - Kennedy assassinated" . . .
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Currently reading Piranha by Clive Cussler and Boyd Morrison.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

"To Kill a Mockingbird". If I had know how good this book is I'd have read it years ago.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've started re-reading the Aubrey-Maturin series. Up to #7 already. Just as good the second time around.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

When Lions Roar: Churchill and the Kennedys
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »