Vulfix/Simpson

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
northadams
Mad Max

Vulfix/Simpson

Post by northadams »

Hi Guys,
Not much news here. I was in desperate need of some Feather Platinum blades and decided to try something other than a Simpsons so I ordered the Vulfix 40. As a former Simpsons snob (Chubby 3 & PL10) I have found the performance of the Vulfix 40 to be on par with the Chubby. A bit softer bristle, great large handle & loads water like a champ. Sure the bristles don't have that Simpson super look or stiff feel to them but the large Vulfix performs just as well as the Chubby in my mind and it certainly has become a dear friend! Max

Post by Guest »

Max,
Glad the Vulfix works for you and many others. The larger Vulfix brushes just don't do it for me. They are too moppish; I suppose I have just become accustomed to stiffer bristles. Heck, I still enjoy the larger Omega boar bristle brush and use it about as much as my Simpsons; for me it is about the end result, not the name on the handle......Read
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Interesting post. A number of members have posted similiarly, over the months. I think Robert's right, in that, many of us do tend to get accostomed to certain products, even certain sensations. I'm thinking that some gent who had been using a Kent BK8 for a couple of years, a Simpson Super might freak him out. It probably wouldn't feel 'right', maybe almost unpleasant, or uncomfortable. It would just be very different from what he was used to. BTW, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what do you think of the Polo 10? I've been vaguely considering this model, but probably in Best Badger, as I'm coming to the conclusion that real silvertip is a little too stiff for my taste. I keep wondering if I'd find the Polo 10 to be too large for me, it's one model I've not seen in person in quite awhile. Anything you could share, would be appreciated. Regards, Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Read, My brother has shown an interest in wetshaving so when ordering the Feather blades I picked up the 40. I could certainly keep it & be happy with it but I too am a stiffer bristle type of guy. Moppish is a good description. I just had to give it a try before passing the Vulfix 40 on to him. A great brush for a newcomer to create easy & fast lather with.
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Hi Gordon, As stated above the younger sibling has shown an interest so the Vulfix 40 will be a great easy & large brush to learn with (and enjoy). Upon arrival about a month ago the Polo10 seemed quite large compared to the Chubby3, especially in regard to total height & handle height. The bristle loft & knot size do seem a bit smaller. I didn't post on this brush until I gave it a workout but I have to say I actually prefer it to the Chubby now. Once I recovered from my Manchurian obsession and came back down to earth (!) I came to the conclusion that maybe the 29mm (or 30mm) knot size of the Chubby may be a bit too large. I took the plunge with PL10 and love the results. With a larger handle and a 27mm (or 28mm?) knot size I feel I have found my ideal dimensions. I seem to have more control over the lather building process as well as the overall use of the brush. I am a stiff bristle silvertip type in that with repeated use I think the hairs may soften up a bit. I do tend to beat the hell out them which could factor into it. The Chubby is great for a two day growth or a luxurious lather induced shave but I have really come to love this smaller bristle and knot size of the PL10 combined with the longer handle. I have become very interested as a result with the 27mm knot size and am interested to see what Charles (QED) is up to in his negotiations with any new brushes on the horizen.

Max
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Gordon, Forgot to mention bristle characteristics. Comparing the PL10 &CH3 Supers I do notice that the Chubby's tips seem slightly whiter but nothing dramatic by any means. The Vulfix 40 is noticeably darker than the other two. In terms of shave quality, as I stated before, I now prefer the PL10. If Peter in Holland knows about this group he may want to chime in. The CH3, PL12, & PL14 may be the only true stiff Supers out there. But then again so what!!!

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Thanks, very helpful. I too have concluded that a bristle knot about 26-28mm. is also probably about my ideal. The Polo handle may be a tad long for me, but the Chubbys are definately too short. I've examined quite a number of them. As far as the Simpson handles go, the Tulip #4 would be close to my ideal ( a kind of stockier PJ ), but I don't think the knot is quite big enough, and the price is too high, considering that I don't believe it's real silvertip. The price would be a bit more then for a Polo 10 Best. Simpson's style is pretty stiff bristled, across the board, so I'm thinking that a Best might be quite stiff enough for me ( and it's $100 less then the silvertip ). I kind of favor a brush bristle that's somewhat flexible, but densely packed. BTW, the Chubby 2 Supers that I've seen seemed like the real deal. Joel, Looking forward to hearing your take on that Shavemac brush. Bob's posts and photo on Wetshavers were quite fascinating. Regards, Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Shavemac?, Oh God no not another one-Joel do post a thread when it arrives. Gordon, As a fan of Cambridge Chemists (one reason being I always, always have my car when in the City and I can park in that area on Madison) I have never been to Pastuers-will let you know what I find there this week.

Max