Sensor Excel

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Sensor Excel

Post by Chris »

Gents,

Been away on vacation for a bit, and instead of dragging my shaving stuff with me I bought a Sensor Excel and a cheap drugstore Boar brush along with a tube of Proraso. I must say that the Excel has become my new weapon of choice. I got great shaves with it, and even better shaves when I got home and used a badger brush. If you find the M3 too aggressive, do try the Excel!
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
growler

Post by growler »

I liked the plain old Sensor, but it got hard to find blades for it. I used an Excel until the DE plunge. I was, however, using a badger brush and semi-good cream, so it gave an okay shave.

I probably would use the Sensor if I couldn't bring a DE and couldn't find any Bic Metals. I have to say, though, I really despise those "spooge strips" they have right above the blade. I don't think they help give a smoother shave, and whatever mystery moisturizer is in there, it doesn't last more than 2 or 3 shaves.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Chris (not Chris Moss), I wouldn't exactly call an M3 aggresswive. you couldn't nick yourself with it unless you really tried. Now if you mean it irritates, I have to agree. The only thing more irritating is the Schick Quad.

Chris Moss, if you're ever in that situation again, try some Schick ST (slim twin) disposables. It's a twin, stationary head razor that's surprisingly sharp and very thin. You can get fairly close shaves because the head doesn't pivot and is very maneuverable, and it has the least irritation of any multi head.
Joe
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Better still, get some Bic Metals. Non-pivoting, very sharp single blade, no goofy 'lubricating strip', and a fairly long handle. The Sensor did me less damage then the M3, and also seemed to shave a little closer, and last a little longer. Like Growler, I thought the original was preferable to the Excel. Jerry, on Wetshavers, who tends to favor cartridges, finally settled on the Sensor, after much experimentation. They're also not quite so obscenely expensive. Still, I got razor bumps from them, not immediately, but after a little while. I much prefer the Bic Metals, a kind of disposable Schick Injector. Those wretched strips! I always got that goopy, spagetti string effect, as the strip interacted with the cream or soap lather. Of course, Gillette and friends are hardly thinking in terms of their customers using brushes and traditional quality shaving products, that's for sure! Regards, Gordon
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Gordon, you know, the BIC metal may be the only disposable I haven't tried. I don't think I've ever seen them in my part of NJ.
Joe
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

I have been looking to try the Bic metals for some time but can never seem to find them. I've seen plenty of the yellow Bic disposables but never the metals. How much do these usually sell for per pack? May have to checkout ebay to see if there are any there.

I like the Mach 3 but would prefer the single or even double blade razor. I own a DE but am still in the learning curve with it.

On another note. I've been using some samples of Truefitt & Hill creams that I received from the company and I just think they make a world of difference. I also have a few Taylor's samples but don't find them to be as nice (I do like the Sandalwood and will be ordering a tub). I've also been using the TH unscented shave balm and find that this is great stuff.

Never thought i would look forward to shaving but it is a thrill to get up and shave every morning....even those ocassional bad shaves are worth it because you can learn from your mistakes.

Have a great day.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

I'm a long time wet shaver and I just used a pre-shave for the first time, when I irritated my face doing some shaving experiments. I'm amazed at how much it's helped. I just got the off-the-shelf Nivea tube.
Joe
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Joe Lerch wrote:Chris (not Chris Moss), I wouldn't exactly call an M3 aggresswive. you couldn't nick yourself with it unless you really tried. Now if you mean it irritates, I have to agree. The only thing more irritating is the Schick Quad.

I agree with you for the most part. I meant irritation, for the most part, although I do tend to get a nick now and again with an M3P. I think this is beacuse my skin is still progessing from an electric shaver to a blade razor, but I do get the nicks occaisionaly.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

I bet it happens when you bear down on the razor or use after it's no longer sharp. I started out on a DE and learned the light touch early on. If you carry that into the M3, you should never get cut, because the blade just pivots to a safe position. It's easy to not do that with an M3, because it's so forgiving.
Joe
CharlieV

Post by CharlieV »

Joe,

You can get the Bic metals at Harmon Discount 518-1 Old Post Rd.,Edison. They also carry Wilkinson D/E blades @ .79 per 5 pack.

Regards, CharlieV
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Hey, another New Jerseyite!

How did you find out about the BICs, you're nowhere near Edison.

That Wikinson price is incredible. I thought I did so well online by paying jus under $.20 a blade, and I had to buy 100 blades and pay for shipping.

Thanks.
Joe
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thank ye, Charlie, saved me the trouble ( I couldn't have given Joe a specific address anyway, only know about Harmons from you and Corey, in any case ). Joe, Give them a try. I brought them to the attention of the Wetshaver's board awhile back. Someone posed the question, 'what would you do if you forgot your shave kit, and you're not in a major city?'. I answered, 'hit the local drugstore for Bic Metals and a tube of Palmolive Lather Shave Cream'. This got a number of members to try the Bic Metals. Most liked them considerably. They also are a great 'training razor' for those making the transition from cartridges to DEs. Since, like me, your a fan of the Schick Injector, you're bound to like them, at least as far as disposibles go. The Bics for Sensitive Skin work well for me also, and are excellent for those with very sensitive skin. The Metal, though, is a bit more...a...assertive. It was originally marketed to men with heavier then normal beards. Let me know what you think. Regards, Gordon
CharlieV

Post by CharlieV »

Joe,

I usually shop their stores in either West Caldwell or Totowa & know they have stores all over the state. So I just checked to see if they had a store near you. If you need Schick brand injector blades, Wegmans in Woodbridge has them.

Regards, CharlieV
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Sensor excels bring back memories for me.
It was the first razor I remember buying for myself that wasn't just any old disposable. I bought it while I was in boot camp. When we checked in all of our razors etc etc were confiscated and we were required to buy either a disposable or the sensor. Of course I could be mixing things up; It might've been an atra. I just remember the little store that we got marched to only had the one razor and it was a twin blade gillette.
It seemed to work fine. That was 11 years ago, so I've forgotten lots of things since then....
John P
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Damn, Charlie! You can get everything in those parts! I can't get squat here. Ticks me off! Gordon
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Relax, Gordon. You can get alligators! Just don't get too close.
Joe
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

CharlieV mentioned Harmon Discount for someplace to pickup the Bic metals. I have looked just about everywhere locally and have had no luck finding the razors. So just out of curiousity, I did a search on harmon discount and lo and behold.... http://www.harmondiscount.com/ if you go to the drop down for shavers in the "look in" and find disposable other you will see the metals are selling for $2.79 per 10 pack. Also saw Nioxin listed as some folks have recommended this product for shaving. The shipping cost starts at around $4.95.

Just thought you might be interested.