Shavemyface - custom group brush!!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Ok.
I looked at rosewood and I have to admit I do really admire the grain. It is a beautiful wood and appears to be dense enough. Ok Rosewood and ebony.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I sure do like the ebony
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Damn! I already got two SRP razors on the way, and now from looking at these, I want the whole shebang, again........
Here is what I would like-a brush with matching straight, I like the idea Bernd had for the base of the brush; but whatever handle or style gets picked for them, how about a set: Brush, razor, and stand/bowl combo that they both fit into?
Just an idea; just seems when getting a nice looking set like that it would be kindof odd not to offer a stand with them....
John P
aybond

Post by aybond »

Count me in for both!!!

Allen
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

I would love to see a 28mm knot but with the cost it might be hard. Desert Ironwood does seem like one of a kind but I am sure we as a group will decide on a winner. Max
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

I would like a dark wood, no preference as to variety. The 28mm knot appeals to me.
Would like the str8 too, but don't think I can swing it.
Cost will be my limiting factor.
Full board name would be nice too (but space is limited I know)

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Does anyone know what affect Borax has on wood handles?

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
Sage

Post by Sage »

The more I think about it, the more I am apt to go with the 28mm knot. Either way though, I am in.

I would suggest coming up with 2 or 3 designs, from all of this input, and then maybe put it to a vote.

I also think the idea of having a special edition brush (or any shaving item) available each year is cool.

Andy
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Joel -

Thanks for pointing me to the earlier Shavemac discussion. I'm glad to be up-to-speed on this whole issue.

I think this is a great idea. Even better is the idea of yearly "special edition" brush / razor / shaving mug, etc. It would be a nice way to bring in some steady income for this site. Perhaps we could send "request for proposals" out to our favorite vendors, asking them to custom design something for us. Your idea of a line of cologne / shave soap / etc. is wonderful.

Thanks, as always, for helping me get further hooked on wetshaving (and on finding other ways to spend my hard earned money) :D
mike

Post by mike »

If you are interested in a lighter color, consider olive wood with a brass base.

Mike
Last edited by mike on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

This is terrific! My preference would be a dark wood with nickel accent(s) and a 28mm k-not.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Lionhoo

Post by Lionhoo »

Count me in too! After reading the Shavemac review, I really want one of these brushes and now I get the benefit of having it personalized!

I like the dark colored handles, either wood or faux stone, or maybe the horn imitation. I like the nickel bottom. Either knot size is fine by me (this will only be my second brush :shock: )

"Brilliant!"

-Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

Count me in. Dark, water-tolerant wood with nickel base would be just dandy for me.

Like Marshall, this will be my second brush, so whatever the board (through Joel) decides is fantastic with me.

-Rich
p_man

Post by p_man »

Joel,

In the original review thread you'd mentioned the thought of having a QED and a Shavemac brush. I know we're all excited by the Shavemacs, but would there be the chance of Charles being involved as well? He's been a part of the experience for a lot of folks here, and I'd hate to have him left out.

Or do we just have to wait for the 2006 brush? :wink:

Dave C
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I'm catching up on discussions after being away and finally got to this one. I too would be interested in a brush.

--Mark
p_man

Post by p_man »

Joel,

That's great news about working some things up with Charles. I'm sure whatever you guys come up with will be really special. And know I have another brush to look forward to (and start preparing my wife for).

And thanks again for pulling all this together - I'm sure it's been fun, but it also sounds like a lot or work. If there's anything you want to farm out, I (and many others, I'm sure) would be happy to help.

Dave C
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Gents, with all the talk of wooden handle brushes, I came across this very good looking briarwood brush at Floris.

http://www.florislondon.com/FlorisSite/ ... aving+Sets

Nevertheless, I really don't care whether the brush is wooden or faux ivory. I will still buy one.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

My vote is for ebony!!!

Joel,

I do want to call out one slight issue with the whole "member id number" idea. Basically as it stands today, a member's number is not permanently assigned. Say we have 200 members and we delete member #170 (which happens from time to time..ahem). Well, then everybody from 170-200 gets renumbered with the last guy getting 199 (who was previously 200).

We'll need to find a way to assign permanent numbers based on join date and then add that as a field to the member profile table in our database. We can talk about this more offline but for right now let's not engrave anything just yet :?

Note: 170 was a random number used solely for an example :-P

Vince
:::Vince:::
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Vince/Joel,

Or we could put the date they joined. (ex. 07/07/04)

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Vince/Joel,

I think that is an extremely good idea. Joined date is more definative don't you think? Less worry about numerical advantage then.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.