New here... extremely new.

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
vorpyl

New here... extremely new.

Post by vorpyl »

Hello everyone. I decided to join up here for advise as well... for the longest time, I've just thought that some people just can't shave without razor burn. I've never known that there were better ways of shaving than what my dad originally taught me years ago, shaving with a cartridge razor. I just assumed, this is the new technology, it must be better.

That is not like me at all. I was always the one to prove my dad wrong through research (with respect of course), so I don't know why I didn't read up on shaving more as well. Well after a decade of constant razor burn I finally decided to do my research.

Well I've read up and watched the videos and I'm convinced, so I just need to go pick up the equipment. So my first question is, are there any good suggestions on where I might be able to find a good double edge and a brush at a store without having to wait for the mail? Thanks!

- Nuke
Rob

Post by Rob »

That depends on where you live. What city do you live in?

Welcome to SMF!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Nuke, welcome!!

Unfortunately your options are extremely limited, unless you live in a major metropolitan area. Where 'bouts do ya live?

--Mark
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

By the Tum Tum Tree, if vorpyl is a typo for Vorpal....

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
vorpyl

Post by vorpyl »

Well vorpyl wasn't exactly a typo, it was more on purpose, but it does stem from mimsy borogoves :D

Hehe, anyways, I'm not in a major metro area... but still over 100,000 pop. We have the all the big drugstores, retail stores, and department stores, but I'm not sure about some of the specialty shops (you never know what you'll find in "historic" downtown) I guess that was my real question... do I need to look up a specialty barber shop or will any national retail chains have decent gear?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Decent gear is where you find it and the hunt is part of the fun. If local searching does not product results you might expand your search if there is a major metro area within, say, a half days drive.

Of course there's always QED, The Gentlemens Shop, Enchante and other quality providers just a click away.

Regards,
Squire
vorpyl

Post by vorpyl »

Enough said, Squire! Ok, sorry about that one... haha. Yea, I'm not too worried... If nothing else, I have several metro areas less than a half day away. Thanks, I'm off to go shopping...
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to SMF!! For brushes and creams/soaps, if there is a Target near you, you can pick up Proraso Shaving Cream and Shaving Soap as well as a Proraso Boar Brush. This brush is not only a good starter brush, it is a good brush, period. These Proraso shaving products are not in the normal men's shaving section. They are located in the "Spa" section usually at the front of the store. However, you will want to eventually order a badger brush. As for DEs at local dept. stores or drugstores, you will not find them there. Check your antiques stores or flea markets or you can post a WTB in our (now yours) Selling/Trading Forum. There are always DEs to be purchased and in some cases given by the great members here at SMF. Again, welcome and have fun.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"