Soap lather comparison

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Soap lather comparison

Post by Bastida »

Good Morning gentlemen:

Yesterday I decided to do a non-shaving (i.e. lathering my hands) comparison of the various shaving soaps that I have. Contenders:

-Tabac
-Floris
-Truefitt & Hill
-Kent

I made various tests (right ammount of water, too much water, too few water) with each of the soaps and then examined the consistency, "lubricity", bubble size and lather durability.

Well, the Tabac was significantly above all the others, and the Kent barely under the Floris and Truefitt & Hill. The lather from the Tabac is amazing, almost solid, as Joel mentioned. The bubbles were minuscule, the thing really looked like a paste.

Among the Floris and T&H I didn't find any significant differences, save for the T&H fragance that I LOVE (that hint of lavender, hmm...).

The Kent lather was the most "soapy" of all, the one with less creamy consistency.

I am seriously thinking about making the Tabac soap my "default" shaving product...

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bastida, Interesting, and it agrees with my observations, except that I've never used the Tabac. The shave soaps from Floris and T&H are two of the finest that I've used, and seemed quite similiar, as you said. The Kent soap ( which is actually Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap ), is a fine shave soap, but not quite Floris or T&H. If the Tabac is even richer, then I definately must give it a try, some time soon. Regards, Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Thanks for the review. I have only used the Floris and T&H soaps and liked them very much. I am looking forward to ordering the Tabac soap soon.
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Bastida, Thanks for the review. I think you, Joel & Chris up in Nova Scotia have gotten guys like me and Gordon going to bed at night thinking of the Tabac. I think a lot of us are looking forward to it.

Max
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Joel, The other thing to consider are QED's sticks. I have never used sticks before but after Chris F.'s review I have tried quite a few scents. I always thought sticks were a shortcut, a cheap way out, but I really am surprised by the lather, EO & lack of color (some gents prefer color-hell I used too as well!) Am I crazy or harping too much about purity? I am not talking about the environment (I promote steel companies for God's sake) but what is good for our faces.

Max