How long do hard soaps keep?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

How long do hard soaps keep?

Post by Chris »

Gents,

Do hard soaps expire? have you had any go bad? Thinking of picking up a couple of bowls of Tabac, and they seem like they will last a while, so it could be 2 or 3 years before I work my way through both...
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I've had soaps for years and never had them go "bad." I bought some soaps in France almost ten years ago and just used them recently with no degradation to fragrance or efficacy. Chris.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My experiance has been the same as Chris'. I have a bowl of Yardley shave soap that was probably made 20 years ago, and it's just fine. Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

How Old is it?

Post by guenron »

Chris,
One of the principles for keeping soaps is protecting it from excessive heat and humidity.. Other than that, you should be abel to keep them almost indefinitely. Some soaps with highly oxidizable oils may suffer from oil souring. [-X BUT, I wouldn't worry too much about that because most modern soaps have stabilizers for that (believe it or not antioxidants of a sort :-s ).
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Even with soaps that have been used some as long as they are allowed to dry they should be good for many years.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave