L’òme selon Durance en Provence shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Leisureguy

L’òme selon Durance en Provence shaving soap

Post by Leisureguy »

Tried a new shaving soap today: L’òme, made by Durance. It comes in a very nice ceramic bowl (no lid). Among other things, it contains Sea Buckthorn berry extract. No parabens. Also includes olive oil and sweet almond oil, along with palm oil. It produced an excellent lather with a light fragrance. They also make an aftershave balm that looks quite skin-friendly for cold weather. I didn’t get that, since I’m an aftershave splash guy.

It made a fine lather. Anyone else ever try this one?
Last edited by Leisureguy on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Michael,

I just tried your link but I am at work and the network wouldn't allow me into that site. What was the link? Where can you buy the soap? How is the scent? I assume it's a triple milled French soap?

Steve
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

I get blocked from this site too from work. The content filter lists it as "a malicious site."
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Steve

Post by Steve »

The web Nazi said no to that one too.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

It doesn't seem all that malicious a site to me. Sells a variety of French items. When I ordered from them, they shipped promptly with no problem. The site is where I bought the soap, which has a pleasant but not strong fragrance. Yes, it's a triple-milled soap (so far as I can tell) and very definitely French. When I made the first lather and squeezed it in my hand, it was quite thick and nicely slippery.

Probably best to try the link from home, I see.
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Leisureguy wrote:It doesn't seem all that malicious a site to me. Sells a variety of French items. ...
Malicious means that there are possibly underlying aspects of the website that are a potential threat to the securlty of the network I'm on, and my PC in particular. This might mean a virus, spyware, etc. Just because my network's filter labels it so doesn't make it so. It may be a mistake, but it's still blocked due to being in the database. :(
Steve

Post by Steve »

No problem from home! Looks good!

Steve
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

murchmb wrote:
Leisureguy wrote:It doesn't seem all that malicious a site to me. Sells a variety of French items. ...
Malicious means that there are possibly underlying aspects of the website that are a potential threat to the securlty of the network I'm on, and my PC in particular. This might mean a virus, spyware, etc. Just because my network's filter labels it so doesn't make it so. It may be a mistake, but it's still blocked due to being in the database. :(
It's on my malicious list at work as well. Weird.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
jlmwrite

Post by jlmwrite »

Michael, what is the scent? I'm so-so for olive oil, but a pushover for almond...
"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H** no!" -- Animal House, 1978
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I wouldn't say that it's almond---or olive, for that matter. It's a light fragrance, hard for me to characterize. Not floral. Smells like a good soap. Maybe it's the sea buckthorn? Wish I could be more help, but I don't have the sense of smell that some guys in the forum have...
Last edited by Leisureguy on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Anyone care to post the ingredients list, please?

Chris
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Okay. VERY small print.

Potassium Palmate, sodium palmate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium stearate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, aqua (water) palm kernel acid, parfum (fragrance), olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, hippophae rhamnoides (sea buckthorn) fruit extract, prunus dulcis (seet almond) oil, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium etidronate, BHT, limonene, linalool, hydroxysohexl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, sodium chloride.

See here for sea buckthorn info.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Leisureguy wrote:Okay. VERY small print.

Potassium Palmate, sodium palmate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium stearate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, aqua (water) palm kernel acid, parfum (fragrance), olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, hippophae rhamnoides (sea buckthorn) fruit extract, prunus dulcis (seet almond) oil, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium etidronate, BHT, limonene, linalool, hydroxysohexl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, sodium chloride.

See here for sea buckthorn info.
Michael, thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Chris
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

No problem. You're welcome. If anyone gives this soap a try, let us know what you think.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I just got an email from the guy at The Frenchy Bee, followed by a phone conversation. He said that he noticed he got a lot of hits on the Durance L’òme shaving soap from ShaveMyFace.com. He called because he was curious—he didn’t know that there were guys still shaving the old way. :)

He himself uses the Marseilles soap cube made with olive oil. No brush, he just washes his beard and works up a small lather with his hands and then uses a multiblade cartridge razor to shave. He said that it gives him a great shave.

So, gentlemen, we do get noticed. :)
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

Has anyone tried the Roger & Gallett shaving soap listed on the same site?

$12.50 for a refill, but $42 for the soap & wood bowl. ...the wood bowl is pretty nice though.
~Joshua
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joshua, Yeah, it's been reviewed and discussed. Mainly awhile back. Check our Search function.
Regards,
Gordon
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I just tried the Roger & Gallet this morning. It seemed fine, but nothing extraordinary. (I got just the puck from that vendor---the bowl was nice, but pricey.) I liked the Durance L’òme considerably better.
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Leisureguy wrote:I just tried the Roger & Gallet this morning. It seemed fine, but nothing extraordinary. (I got just the puck from that vendor---the bowl was nice, but pricey.) I liked the Durance L’òme considerably better.
I'm actually glad to hear that about the R&G. It's been on my buy list and I always dreaded the price. With that beautiful bowl, I couldn't just get the refill. Since it's a mediocre performer, I'll move it to the do not buy list just below C&S No. 88 shaving soap, another expensive but mediocre soap in a drop dead gorgeous bowl.