Took the plunge

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Hey guys, I lost my lease and moved to Raleigh on the fourth. I have been without internet service since May 30, so I have tried to check in frequently on the library computer.

I have not yet set up my computer in my new residence. It is an old house whose electrical outlets do not take three-pronged plugs. So I will have to do that first without electrocuting myself!

I am still unpacking, and today I found my Koh-I-Noor boar brush and my MWF (which were not packed with the rest of my shaving gear), so I'll go back to using them tomorrow. I've been using the Real Shaving cream, which is good enough, but I'm looking forward to getting to all the soaps I recently purchased!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Watch out for "floating" or non-existent grounds, don't fry your PC. :!:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hopefully, you'll be able to install a properly grounded and protected line and or circuit for your PC and associated hardware.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I'm going to get help from someone who I think knows what he is doing.

I have what I think is a good surge protector.

Is there something about the lines themselves that I need to know?
Fitness
Lijun badger
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Hooray! I got my new internet service today. It is much faster than what I had, but costs ten dollars less, due to my being twenty miles closer to downtown Raleigh.

We got a couple of the three-pronged outlets in with no apparent problem.
Fitness
Lijun badger
function

Post by function »

GA Russell wrote:
Is there something about the lines themselves that I need to know?
Yes, sometimes an ignorant DIYer or a crappy electrician can do bad things to a grounding wire, like move it one too many times until it breaks. The result of this, if you are lucky, will only be a tripped breaker and a melted connector or two. If you are unlucky the result can be fried equipment or a very crispy house. I was on the lucky side of this, but if I ever find the **** that did the wiring work on my house before me, I may be inclined to do more than loft unpleasantries at him/her.

Look for this to happen in outlet boxes and junction boxes. It wouldn't hurt to give the breaker box a once-over as well. You don't need to know a lot about it, but the messier things look, the more risks are possible. A good electrician will leave things not necessarily pretty, but relatively ordered.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I see that I haven't updated my hit parade of blades since Oct. 11. Since then I have tried a few single blades which were unexceptional and mid-level. I'll have to take the time one day to review my records and add them to the list, but in the meantime no one is missing anything by their absence.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... &start=260

For the past two months I have been using my 1948-50 Super Speed rather than my Weishi, but I have not noticed a difference in blade performance between the two razors. So I haven't felt the need to update the hit parade rankings.

For the past month I have been using my second jar of Cella. As much as I am curious about the various soaps available, I am very comfortable with Cella, and plan to stick with it for the foreseeable future. I still have a jar of Tabac which I haven't tried yet!

Compared to Cella, I am disappointed with Mitchell's Wool Fat, which I tried for a month. I won't give up on it, but considering the ballyhoo it receives here, I don't find it to make my face feel exceptional.

PS - I learned two weeks ago that there are two Sharks - the Super Stainless and the Super Chrome! I have been using the Stainless. I have seen hundred-packs of the Chrome available through Amazon, but I'm not aware of where to buy just a couple of packs.

Anyway, the Shark referred to in my hit parade is the Stainless rather than the Chrome.
Fitness
Lijun badger
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I celebrated a birthday yesterday, so for today's shave I opened up a new (to me) soap - Tabac.

Many here have high praise for Tabac (except for its scent). I have been using my latest tub of Cella for quite a number of months now. I like Cella because of how my skin feels after the shave.

Although I cannot say that my shave today with Tabac was particularly comfortable, I noticed right away upon its completion how good my skin felt. On the basis of the one shave (unfair, no doubt), I would still rank Cella as my #1 soap, but Tabac comes in a strong second.
Fitness
Lijun badger
drumana

Post by drumana »

Nice. The lather and shaves from Tabac are superior to the majority of soaps out there. I used it quite a bit for a while, but eventually grew tired of the scent.
-Andrew-
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Merry Christmas!

I received a surprise shaving-related gift of a number of creams, soaps, blades and after shave.

One of the blades was the Shark Super Chrome. As you can see in my Aug. 14 post, I didn't realize till then that there are two Sharks. I have wanted to try the Chrome since then.

I went to a Christmas dinner party this evening, and shaved before it with the Shark Chrome. It was a comfortable shave, and the blade performed well. I'll look forward to seeing how many shaves I get from it.

Among the items I received were these shaving creams which I had never heard of before:

dalan d'men Energetic
Azulene moisturizing
Yardley Gold
Park Avenue Enjoy
Park Avenue Classic

I also received a small bottle of Freshscent alcohol-free after shave balm.

I'm looking forward to trying them all!
Fitness
Lijun badger
brothers

Post by brothers »

GA, looks like you did all right!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's space flight. That was a momentous day!

My recollection is that the Soviets did not announce their early space flights until after they were successfully concluded. I remember the persistent rumor that Gagarin's was not the Soviets' first manned space flight, but he was the first to return alive. Maybe one day we'll know for sure.

As you can see on the left, today is also the third anniversary of my becoming a member of SMF! I've enjoyed everyone's camaraderie and helpful advice. Thanks!

After three years of using a safety razor, I find myself more and more thinking about trying a straight. The next time I have a little extra money in my pocket I think I'll spring for one.
Fitness
Lijun badger
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

GA Russell wrote:Today is the fiftieth anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's space flight. That was a momentous day!

My recollection is that the Soviets did not announce their early space flights until after they were successfully concluded. I remember the persistent rumor that Gagarin's was not the Soviets' first manned space flight, but he was the first to return alive. Maybe one day we'll know for sure.

As you can see on the left, today is also the third anniversary of my becoming a member of SMF! I've enjoyed everyone's camaraderie and helpful advice. Thanks!

After three years of using a safety razor, I find myself more and more thinking about trying a straight. The next time I have a little extra money in my pocket I think I'll spring for one.
a momentous day? i don't think that was the word we used to describe it during the cold war
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations, GA! It's good to see another post in your home thread.

An SMF anniversary is an occasion worth celebrating, and three years establishes you firmly among the experienced members. :)

I look forward to your company in future posts.

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

My spaceflight forums report great success with the worldwide "Yuri's Day" parties, this time every year. I'd like to find one, as if an excuse was needed to vodka-up. Happy anniversary, Mr. R.
Ron
function

Post by function »

gil3591 wrote:
a momentous day? i don't think that was the word we used to describe it during the cold war
I'm sure the Soviets did not find it to be too momentus when we built newer and better multi-warhead ICBMs. Fortunately for all cooler(no pun intended) heads prevailed and people on both sides were able to go on paying mortgages and trying to make a better life for their families. Kinda makes you value both the mundane AND the exceptional accomplishments.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks Murray and Ron!

I heard on the radio this morning that this date is special for another reason. On April 12, 1954, Bill Haley recorded Rock Around the Clock! I consider that to be the first rock 'n' roll record because it was the first hit to combine jump blues (r&b), country and youth.

I believe that Alan Freed was already calling r&b (properly called "rhythm") records "rock 'n' roll" by that time, but to me what distinguished the music was the combination of black music with country music in a way that appealled to teenagers.
Fitness
Lijun badger
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Yes, I heard on the radio this morning that this was the date that Rock Around the Clock was recorded or released.

I knew that country music influenced rock & roll at some point, but I didn't realize that it was right from the start.

- Murray
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

When I was young, I watched Huntley Brinkley every night with my parents.

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the Bay of Pigs invasion. I remember Yuri Gagarin's flight well, but I have no recollection of the Bay of Pigs.

I suspect that I don't remember it because it wasn't given much news coverage. Does anyone maybe a little older than me remember the Bay of Pigs well?
Fitness
Lijun badger
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Wow, this thread is quite of fount of blade information-

Alan :shock: