Basenotes.net...

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Boyextraordinare

Basenotes.net...

Post by Boyextraordinare »

comprises roughly a thousand buffoons for every level-headed person who also knows something.

Threads like "Which Frag. to wear to a Funeral" abound.

I finally got banned for breaking their base-noting hearts with a little anecdote concerning the Bijan line, citing that my uncle knew the man before he started his empire and he told my uncle very honestly: "I'm going to start a co. that capitalizes on people's stupidity."

One fellow, allegedly an attorney, concluded that the story must be fabricated because I spelled "Bijan" "Beijan," so I had to excuse myself for not strutinizing the line's name more carefully.

Go there for a good laugh.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

So....... which fragrance should I wear at a funeral? :mrgreen:
~Greg
DEF

Post by DEF »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:So....... which fragrance should I wear at a funeral? :mrgreen:
Bijan.
Doug
IanM

Post by IanM »

DEF wrote:
Scrapyard Ape wrote:So....... which fragrance should I wear at a funeral? :mrgreen:
Bijan.
I think you mean Beijan :wink:

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Boyextraordinare

There is, of course, no consistency among the way Persian words and names are written in English.

My immediate family, for example, spells our last name one way, while several of my uncles/cousins/etc go with an alternative sp.

But I bet Bijan was "Beijan" before he launched his line, as it looks slicker on a sign... :D
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm not sure I would boast about being banned anywhere. It just doesn't seem clubbable.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Neil

Post by Neil »

drmoss_ca wrote:I'm not sure I would boast about being banned anywhere. It just doesn't seem clubbable.

Chris
sustained.
-------------------------------------------------------
Neil
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Closing arguments?
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Boyextraordinare

The Basenotes community is not a club but a pit. I don't belong in a pit so I'm delighted to be banned from it.

There are places from which, I'm sure, you and I wouldn't mind being banned, and about which wouldn't mind, at least secretly, bragging - like jail.
Last edited by Boyextraordinare on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

B.E...

Well done.

Somewhat like high school there at times. Though there are some very knowledgeable and nice people there also.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i will admit to using that site every now and then, mostly when i have a certain "note" i want to wear, ill go there and search. i havent been let down once, but thats not to say it cant happen.

there was one time some guy wrote in a review (CK obsession i think) that he liked to wear the fragrance to bed. um.......alright :wink:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, there's some interesting stuff on basenotes but you have to dig for it amongst all the nonsense; pages of reviews on some 'designer' drek that smells like two dozen other dept. store scents, and so forth. And some of the dates for scents, Trumpers for example, are just wild. I have no idea who came up with them, or how, but they're just fiction. Honestly, I got more out of reading on the ( mainly ) women's perfume site, makeupalley, before it became accessible only to members, than I did from basenotes. But, I must reiterate that there are SOME knowledgeable gents there, like our collegue Basil for example.
Regards,
Gordon
Boyextraordinare

Bernard, why not just sign up with makeupalley then?

Because I just did.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kaveh, I was already spending too much time on these dreadful forums, as it was, for one thing ( chuckle ). Also, since I used to be able to just access it, I was used to that and got irrationally miffed when they went to the 'private' system. And while I did enjoy purusing the site from time to time, in reality, it mostly covered women's scents and so it's usefulness was limited. They had a few very knowledgeable, perceptive gals there though, back when I used to check in a few years ago. That was the first place that I saw validated, my own sense that a lot of the Creed men's and unisex colognes had a weird and unpleasant middle note to them.
Regards,
Gordon
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I like basenotes because it is filled with people who pay a lot of attention to something I'd never given much thought to. There is a lot of idiocy though (it is the internet after all).

I like SMF more because this site is about a habit or routine rather than an avenue of conspicuous consumption (the sundry ADs not withstanding).
Boyextraordinare

SMF is replete with bright ppl who've done their HW, and not just with respect to shaving.

Other boards run more on hype and the non-scientific.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I go there rather frequently. There are a few very knowledgable ladies and gentlemen there. Good place to learn, but at times it can be a silly place. We all have our preferences and I quickly learned who like the same type of things I do.
Regards,
Jani
Tim

Post by Tim »

About three years ago basenotes was a very interesting and knowledgable site. But today it's dumbed down dreadfully.

Here's a topic from last year:

'What to wear when you're feeling unwell'

jeez...
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Most of the posters are bonkers.

Barking mad, over-reacting, outrageously exaggerating, metro sexual drama-queens!
goose

Post by goose »

Tim wrote:About three years ago basenotes was a very interesting and knowledgable site. But today it's dumbed down dreadfully.

Here's a topic from last year:

'What to wear when you're feeling unwell'

jeez...
I'm not a member at Basenotes, but an outsider could look at quite a few of the topics we have discussed that would sound ridiculous.

Clint