i like proraso pre-shave but.....

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
marsos52

i like proraso pre-shave but.....

Post by marsos52 »

i enjoy using proraso pre-shave and i need to get another jar, but should i try trumpers skin food instead ?

is skin food better?

thanks
marc
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

I have used both and I can say I like them.

I can archive a very close shave so using them doesn't make any difference on how close it is, but I get less nicks&cuts.

I think proraso has better moisturizing properties but that strictly depends on your skin.

So my answer is yes. I can't tell if it's better, but the correct answer a la SMF is renew your proraso and buy a new GFT skin food! :lol:

You can get a GFT sample pack which includes both three scents and it costs 4 pounds. I really like the Sandalwood and I am going to buy a bottle.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I never really use a pre-shave. Is this something I should look into?

What do you guys suggest? Proraso? Crema? Prep? Skin Food?
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi dave

i never used pre shave in all my years. last year i ordered some blades and went for some proraso pre/post

after exoerienting with it as a pre and as a post

i went back to my old ways hot water prep

i find the shave results are no better but as a pre shave the proraso
makes a smooth feel especially when i have a lot of stubble

im down to the bottom of the jar and i am thinking if the skin is better and worth the extra money
djmsalem

Post by djmsalem »

I've used both, and I can tell you that the Proraso is more effective as a pre-shave (IMHO) and has moisturizing properties that you don't often hear about. I like the Trumper SF, but I think it works better after shaving.

The only reason not to choose the Proraso would be if its cooling is too aggressive for you.

Otherwise, Proraso's the best I've ever tried.

My best,

David
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I asked about pre-shave creams just the other day on the R&B board. Giovanni sells three, I think, and he said that all have menthol. The Crema 3P has the least.

During the cold months I don't like menthol, so I decided to hold off until spring.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks dave

thats exactly what i wanted to now

i have no problem with the prosaso. so i will stick with it.

marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The original Noxzema in the blue tub (face cleanser cream, not shaving cream) is very similar to Proraso pre-shave.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes i keep orignal noxeza around, but i like the prorasa a bit better, exactly why i cant tell you just do.

and my son always uses the noxema and nobody toushes the proraso

marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Proraso Pre/Post Shave is excellent. I especially enjoy the menthol "feel" and the menthol "smell".

Some swear by pre-shave products, and othes say they are not worth the effort. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) as with any product. If it works for you, "Use It". If not, well just leave it alone.

I happen to enjoy Proraso Pre/Post shave on occasion and keep a jar in my stash.

YMMV as always and the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave...

Regards...
Oscar...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I've never used the proraso pre shave so I can't comment on its quality.
Just this past week after noticing the good Dr.Moss mentioning in one of his posts about using Trumpers skinfood as a pre shave I decided to have a go at it also. I have noticed a considerable difference in the quality of my shaves.Not so much in the closeness aspect but more in the comfort of the shave. I've had no weepers at all since using the skinfood. I tend to be very thin skinned so this has been great for me.
I would suggest giving it a try and Trumpers usually includes 2 sample bottles of it in their sample packs which are a great deal at about 6 bucks.
Bob
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes the pre-shave products only make the shave a little more enjoyable

today i used orignal noxema... i mostly do not use a pre-shave , if the mood strikes me i do. i do enjoy with or without

marc