Long handle Merkur variants...better than classic?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
MathewJ

Long handle Merkur variants...better than classic?

Post by MathewJ »

So I have been using a HD for quite some time now and like it alot, however I always feel that the handle is a bit short and wonder if I would benefit from the longer handle version of the HD (the new handle colors look kinda neat too)...

Also I found a nice ding in the head, who knows if my old cleaners dropped it or maybe I bumped it and forgot...but what better excuse to get something new...

Thanks
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Re: Long handle Merkur variants...better than classic?

Post by Racso_MS »

MathewJ wrote:So I have been using a HD for quite some time now and like it alot, however I always feel that the handle is a bit short and wonder if I would benefit from the longer handle version of the HD (the new handle colors look kinda neat too)...

Also I found a nice ding in the head, who knows if my old cleaners dropped it or maybe I bumped it and forgot...but what better excuse to get something new...

Thanks
You must be referring to the Merkur 38C (Barber Pole). Even though a color does not a razor make, the 38C is a love hate razor. You will either love it after the first use, or sell it after the first use. I love it. The length and heft make it a very usable and effective razor for me, but as always YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
MathewJ

Post by MathewJ »

out of curiosity why is it so polarizing? is it the size, heft?? thanks
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I love my 38C. It is my razor of choice over my HD, Progress and Gillette. It is a heavy razor so any mistakes in technique, especially pressure, can lead to irritation. However, it gives a great shave when used without pressure. If you like the HD I would expect you to like the 38C. BTW, the colored-handle variations look better in person than they do in the web photos.
Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not as heavy as the Futur but a substantial razor in its own right. I have the blue handle 38c and use it regularly.
Regards,
Squire
joe11002

Post by joe11002 »

I think alway having two of everything is better! 8) I Hopefull she does not read this!!!!! :lol:
Was it 5 shots or 6? Do you feel lucky, PUNK!
MathewJ

Post by MathewJ »

Well lucky me Merkur is sending me a new top for my HD, so no rush, but the blue handled HD looks nice...maybe it will be a purchase I will make soon, thanks all.
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

Hate short handles.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I have the Merkur Classic Short Handle and the Merkur Classic Long Handle. I find myself using one for a month or so, trying the other and prefering it for another month until I try the other one, etc. etc. etc.

I don't have any of the barber poles though so I can't comment on them.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I don't have a HD, but I do have a barber pole and a long classic, and I much prefer the barber pole because of the added weight. (Of course, the three piece is much easier to clean...but that's beside the point in this discussion.)
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

MathewJ wrote:out of curiosity why is it so polarizing? is it the size, heft?? thanks
I do believe that weight is a factor as well. Being so hefty you need to rely more on technique and a light touch to get a good close shave. In my experience, some lighter razors can stand a touch of pressure to guide them along the skin. With super heavy weights like the Futur or Vision and now the Barberpole pressure can cause ingrowns and cuts.

I'm not criticizing anyone's tecnique, just stating that the learning curve on heavy razors is a bit steeper than some other lighter ones. As always, thought your milage may vary.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

AACJ wrote:I have the Merkur Classic Short Handle and the Merkur Classic Long Handle. I find myself using one for a month or so, trying the other and prefering it for another month until I try the other one, etc. etc. etc.

I don't have any of the barber poles though so I can't comment on them.
Art,
I have these two razors also. I preferred both over the heavier HD. The balance felt better for me and so the shaves were better. I use them alternately (along with two SS's) and like you would be hard pressed to pick one. They have different feels. I wish the lined Chatsworth were not so heavy, then I would hint its way onto a birthday present suggestion list! Or this one with the new head.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)