All In A Lather

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
teabag

All In A Lather

Post by teabag »

I recently puchased a GFT gift set that had 25% off the marked price. Now, I like my Trumper creams and have the GFT in the tub version but, is it me or is there something different about the cream in the tube? I have used the cream in the tube 3 times and each time the lather has not been as thick as the GFT cream that the tub produces and the only difference is is that I may be using a tad more cream in the tube than what I use in the tub (are you still with me?), so therefore you would think more cream means more lather not the reverse. This is my first Trumper cream in a tube as I, probably like most others on here go for the larger size which proves to be more economical/cheaper especially in these financially uncertain times. I cannot see the tube having an adverse affect on the quality of the cream so is there a problem with Trumper's formulation I ask? I don't want to start using double the amount of cream just to whip up a nice lather that I can get by only using a fraction of the stuff in the tub and end up with enough lather to shave a giant bear, so should I mix the contents of the tube with the cream that is already in the tub or just persevere?

Regards,

Phil.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, Well, I've insisted since the early days of these shave forums ( and despite some scepticism from certain quarters....ahem ) that the creams in the tubes is rarely quite as good as that packed in the pots. However, I always used to exempt Trumpers and D R Harris's from this, as at that time, they still used metal tubes and with them, I thought the tubed cream was just as good. Coate's for example was never as rich and dense in the tubed version. But, of course, Harris's has now gone to plastic tubes ( a pox on them, I say ), and their cream is now weird anyway. But Trumpers is still using the proper metal tubes so, I don't know. Almost all the Trumper creams I've used in the last couple of years have been tubes, so I don't have much of a measure of comparison. But even in that context, I do not think that they have been as good as the tubed creams I used to get from them. Perhaps someone with more varied recent experiance with both will chime in.
Regards,
Gordon
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Phil,

I have also noticed a different consistency sometimes between the same cream in tub and tube format, but I wonder whether the creams were compounded that way or whether the difference is a result of how long the product has been lying around, or maybe something else altogether. I would guess the tubes have more of an airtight seal than do the tubs, so they are less prone to drying out. I have Trumper creams in both tubes and tubs, and they seem fairly consistent in density and lather equally well. I have noticed that many of the creams I have in tubs do tend to get thicker over an extended period of time, probably due to the water content of the cream slowly evaporating. But I can't say I really notice any decreased performance in any of these products.

Ren
Last edited by Big Ren on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Funny -- I have found that tubes are as good as the creams -- at least that's been my experience. Don't you love the diversity of SMF?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rgc

Post by rgc »

Wow Wendell, I did not know the FAT came in a tube. :lol:
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks for the replies boys,

In respect to your comments Ren about the tube and tub compound, I also thought that, but then I got an image in my head of a vat full of cream bring tossed into a divider and the same batch of cream being put into both tub and tube.
Another point I would like to make with you is that it possible that this set containing the tube could have indeed been sitting around for some considerable time. Perhaps the cold has played some part because when I placed the order it was 6/01/09 and when I received it 2 days later the box felt as though it had been in cold storage but I dismissed this as being stuck in the wagon overnight waiting to be shipped out. Since then though the box has been in a drawer under the bed so has had plenty of time to return to room temperature. I must point out that this is the first time I have ever encountered a delivery of shaving cream that has been quite cold to the touch. Oh well I will just have to get on with it and enjoy it I suppose. :lol:

Regards,

Phil.