Using sample vials

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Mindflux

Using sample vials

Post by Mindflux »

Hello folks.

I've got a number of sample vials that I've not really had the opportunity to use yet. When I 'dab' some on my finger (cover the opening, turn it upside down) and dab it on my chest and neck and wrists several times the scent never seems to last long (probably not much product being used.

However today, I took my Penhaligons Duoro sample and poured a small bit into my palm, rubbed my hands together and massaged it into my chest, neck and wrists.

HOWEVER. Most of the scent is still on my hands, I smell very little if I put my nose under my shirt... so I'm afraid this scent is going to wear off from handling things and typing.

I'm sure this is a STUPID question but how do you properly decant/disburse the colognes in those vials so you get maximum efficiency and longevity.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks.

Ryan
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Ryan, some folks use a cotton ball or makeup pad for applying cologne.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Ryan,
What I usually do is take the bottle (sample only) and like you do with your finger, I use my wrist, forearm, neck and/or chest as the points I take it from the bottle, usually by turning the bottle upside down on that area, then I will rub the just fragranced areas together, ie, wrists and forearms, to spread it around a little. That way, it doesn't get on my fingers and make my hands smell all day. I thought of using cotton balls but I always thought that was a waste of cologne on the cotton ball when it's not on me.

I have heard that using your finger or skin will transfer oils to the bottle and thus eventually ruining the cologne, but I think a sample bottle is small enough to not run into that problem. Otherwise, I look for an atomizer bottle, if the cologne you buy doesn't come in one, look to QED or Em's for an atomizer bottle.

That's my .02 cents
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Ryan,

With the sample vials, I put the open end of the vial on my chest and just kind of spread the contents all over the chest area. If you keep light pressure on the skin, the cologne should come out evenly. The vial quantiities are usually too small to use with a cosmetic pad.

Like Art mentioned, using a cotton pad allows for too much absorption of the cologne and not enough on your body. I only use the cosmetic squares with the shaker-type (like St James cologne) or open neck (like most aftershaves) bottles. Otherwise, I use an atomizer.

If you want to pour the cologne or AS into your palms and then apply it, some forum members have suggested you should wet your palms first. The water prevents the cologne or AS from being absorbed into your palm skin.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Oh and by the way, I have to give credit to Richard who has told me everything I said earlier, I got it all from him.

Thanks Richard!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Absolute ditto of Richard's technique - he's the man and knows it all! Many thanks, Richard. Best, John.
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Thank you all for the kind words, but I like to think we gain our knowledge from each other.

After all, they do call this a forum where ideas and discussions flourish.

But thank you again.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

I use the "wand" (that reaches into the vial) on the cap to apply the cologne. I use that to spread a bit on all of my pulse points. For me this appears to be enough to last for quite some time.

Still experimenting with the Trumper's and Taylors scents I have and with this method these samples should last me for years.
bebosky

Post by bebosky »

I too have thought often that sample present different than the big bottle. The best thing I have found to do is to pour the bottle into a small atomizer.

Steven
Steven Hamric
hamrics@usa.redcross.org

KEEP IT WET!