Some impressions of Vulfix made Simpsons

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Some impressions of Vulfix made Simpsons

Post by drP »

Sometime ago i reported positive impressions of a few Simpsons made by Vulfix; they were: CH3, PL12, PL14.
The knot of these brushes is plugless and the loft is firm, dense and compact before blooming. Very sleek, trapezoidal shape. Fine gauged flexible bristle type. Very well contstructed loft. The bristles nicely arranged and aligned. Not a very high quality badger type like the former three band Somerset bristle imo, let alone the former two band type, but it's okay. As you can see there's a clearly a difference between the lofts of the CH3 and PL12, and that of the PL14, the latter having whiter bristle tips.
The handles are made from the same resin as the Somerset brushes, delivered by an Italian firm if i remember well.
Redundant to say i'm very satisfied with the engraving and the waterresistant properties of the new stickers, which are made to hold and last. Chapeau for Vulfix, apparently they did listen to the members of the wet shaving community.

I couldn't resist and submerged the loft of the CH3; the result was a huge bloomed loft. Rather shocking, so much bloomed it. But i could've expected it, because of the fined gauged bristles and the tremendous density of the loft. I'll wait how much it regains its loft in the next days...

A few pictures.

Peter
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Doc, the Vulfix/Simpson Chubby 2/best that I have bloomed in a very similar way, albeit just a little smaller; it lathers great with soap or cream and I'm very happy with it.

As usual, great pictures!... :wink:
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Great stuff Peter, thanks.
Regards,
Squire
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Great review and pictures, Peter. I must note that for whatever reason, pictures do not do justice to the engraving on these new ones, specially the macro shots. Without fail, I've found that the lettering looks much, much better in person, IMO, and I have not as of yet been able to replicate what my eyes see when concerning this.

Also, that hair in Super you got sure looks to be of finer gauge than the couple of newer Supers I have. Not sure if it is due to the size of those brushes, since I tend to stay away from lofts that size. My Vulfix made Tulip 3 in particular seems to have a thicker gauge.

I'm still on the fence on whether I prefer the Super or Best on these new Vulfix Simpsons. Whilst the Best series do not have tips as white as the Supers, they do perform admirably, and, of course, have the same quality feel and construction.

Thanks for the review/pics.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Thanks for the report, Peter. I'm liking the looks of that Polo 12! I might have to check one out someday...
Lynn
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

Peter,

Very nice report and pictures, thank you!

Michael
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Egad!.....that CH3 bloomed like a Kent BK12....certainly a bit different from the Somerset ones, what? No value judgement intended, you understand...but yes, it is...er....striking.
Regards,
Gordon
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

bernards66 wrote:Egad!.....that CH3 bloomed like a Kent BK12

Exactly my thoughts. Although my original CH2 will appear that way but will almost immedietly return back to it's original shape.

Peter, great looking brushes. I'm not sure if it is your pictures, but the engraving on your brushes seems fuller and darker than most others I've seen. If that is how all the brushes will look, I'd be alright with that.
-Ethan
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

bernards66 wrote:Egad!.....that CH3 bloomed like a Kent BK12....certainly a bit different from the Somerset ones, what? No value judgement intended, you understand...but yes, it is...er....striking.
Regards,
Gordon
BK12-like it most certainly is! FIRST thing I thought of when I saw that bloom....That Looks EXACTLY like my old BK12!!!

Certainly to each his own, and there are many members who loved the Vulfix..... I will keep an open mind after seeing this thread.
Mike
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I am also shocked how much that CH3 has boomed. :shock:
My Simpson CH2 has never bloomed that much, it always retains it's tight knot after drying off. Nonetheless, it does look like a good brush, I'm just wondering how firm that bristle remains after blooming like that. This is one of the reasons I love the original CH2, it maintains that scrubby feel even after a few years now.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

My Simpfix Tulip 3 and Emperor 3 Supers were bloomers, as was the Polo 8 Best. The Duke 3 Best was a semi-.
Ron
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Update: today i used the CH3 on its maiden trip; well, y'all might know that i've used quit a few brushes for the past six years, but yet i was suprised by the extreme density of this loft: i couldn't get a decent lather when i tried in the usual way: wetting the loft thoroughly under the running tap, shaking out thorughly the excess water, but there was still a gallon of water left behind somewhere trapped in that badger forest...just incredible, talking about water retention properties.. :shock: ....this isn't hydrophilic anymore, this is water "magnetic"...i really must say this is one of the densest specimen in my array...this explains a lot for the huge blooming capabilities together with the fine gauged bristles.

But to my pleasant relief, the loft returned to its former shape for the most part...to obtain its original sleek trapezoidal shape i used my trusted method: a rubber band.
And i'm convinced that the loft will regain its original shape for let's say 90%.

After one night:

Tightened to fullfill my obessive needs... :wink:

Peter
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

drP, I wonder how long before that pesky sticker falls off? :wink:
Jim
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Kyle76 wrote:drP, I wonder how long before that pesky sticker falls off? :wink:
Never :twisted:
Peter
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

But then we'll never know if 'Simpsons' is engraved underneath like on the old brushes :wink:
wayne06

Post by wayne06 »

MichaelS wrote:But then we'll never know if 'Simpsons' is engraved underneath like on the old brushes :wink:
:lol: They don't. Thanks goodness, Dr. P would never be the same. :roll:
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

The stickers on my original Simpsons are turning green for some reason.............. :?:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

After one night compressing with a rubber band:

Peter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Slipping the brush back into its original wrapper and lightly taping it closed works, too.
Ron
jss

Post by jss »

drP, Thanks for the great post and pictures....

Best regards,
Julian