Rhodium or not

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
never2close

Rhodium or not

Post by never2close »

After using the Search function I was unable to find reference to which Gillettes are rhodium plated. Any assistance would be appreciated.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

As far as I know, the Model #58, #66, and the President. But there could well be a couple/few more. Let's see what the really serious vintage Gillette mavens have to say.
Regards,
Gordon
Dale

Post by Dale »

I believe the Executive is rhodium plated.
Regards,
Dale
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I'm certainly far from a maven. Just a strong 'hunch' with this. Model #16....umm...Model #22, Model #66. I've seen it mentioned that the Model #58 and The 'President' model were not. My President certainly has a white/silver 'hue' as does my rhodium Model #22. So with the two singled out...I have a strong notion, no certainty. I would think the 'Executive' model is as well. Also perhaps Robert Mugabe's toilet paper spindle might be too. Don't fret too much over this though. I happen to think the '47 - '50s SS models are quite moving.

Best,
Fitch
never2close

Post by never2close »

To clarify, are the models mentioned all Rhodium plated, or are specific runs that had a "special finish"? I've seen in passing others argue that the 58's with rhodium are the Coronation model, while the average 58 is nickel. Thanks.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

The Model #58 I have certainly is, and I'm quite sure about the #66 and President but uncertain about some of the others although they might be. And the Diplomat I had at one point seemed to be also.
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

bernards66 wrote:The Model #58 I have certainly is, and I'm quite sure about the #66 and President but uncertain about some of the others although they might be. And the Diplomat I had at one point seemed to be also.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,
I thought a Diplomat was a gold plated President. This means I need a Diplomat in my rotation. Damn, now I have to buy another razor. Also, how do you tell if a razor has Rhodium plating?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

The one I had ( there was some debate as to whether is was correctly a 'Diplomat' or and 'Executive' ) was an early '50s US made razor but it was in the 'bulldog' style of the English models and appearance-wise was very like a #66. A beautiful looking piece but I parted with it as it was just a bit too aggressive for my taste.
Regards,
Gordon
brz90

Post by brz90 »

My coronation #66 is certainly rhodium plated as I think most of them were, and in comparison my #58 certainly looks like it is rhodium rather than nickel plated. But on another forum Mr Razor has posted some old adverts that show Gillette did sadly make nickel plated #58s and #66s at least in the end. I think possibly the earlier the razor the more likely it was rhodium plated, but a late one might be nickel instead.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Yeah, this whole business is a little un-certain. For certain, there was, a choice between a gold or rhodium U.S. "Executive" model. Never2close to be clear all the ones I mentioned ,excluding, the #58 & "President" models were 'rhodium'. There are some earlier English Gillette's I don't personally have a familiarity with that may have been as well. So, the debates out on the #58 + "President". I have a "President" with the lower 'un-finished' ring ,that's finish, sure looks the same as a rhodium #22 model of mine. I've said it before, but darn, if Gillette did not set the bar pretty high in 'EVERY' way when they turned-out their razor sets.

Best,
Fitch
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Rhodium is a precious metal in The platinum family. As such, it is popular for creating 'white gold.' Like platinum, it is very scratch resistant but can thin very quickly from simple wear. However, unlike nickle it will not tarnish or lose luster. Some people sadly have a definite test, a allergic rection that turns skin in contact red.It's easilly replated.
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

Perhaps the Rhodium #58's exist. Sadly, I have yet to find one.

I've seen many NOS President sets pictured around the web and none mentioned anything about Rhodium. Being so precious and all one would think Gillette would trumpet the fact that they used that metal on any razor like they did on the English Aristocrat sets and the American Executive. Just sayin'.
Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, One would certainly think so, and yet, my #58 does not look like any of the nickel plated models that I've owned/seen, and yet it's surface and appearance DO very much resemble that US Executive I had. Sooo...I dunno. I've never owned a President.
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Apparently there is also a model #15 as well, but I'm just going by what the seller says.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930S-BRITISH-GILLE ... dZViewItem

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Guess we all have a grail to aspire to.
Regards,
Squire